Private Epoch Server.. some newbie questions.

Dramier

Some background: I'm running a very simple dedicated Epoch server for myself and my girlfriend to play on, with no internet access and no other players. Just us, AI and zombies. I'm also running the DZAI, and R3F Logistics addon on the Lingor map.

After I went through all of the soul crushing pains of figuring how to get the server and all the scripts/add-ons working, I was pretty happy where I ended up. However, while I was playtesting, the server started to lag INCREDIBLY bad when a helicopter patrol crashed. It also started to lag more and more the more I played. I checked the reports and logs, and no errors were being looped and nothing was spamming... So I cut back the number of vehicles, AI, etc, all to no avail. Lag stayed horrible. Finally, I deleted the database and started with a fresh one. Problem solved. So why am I here?

Well, the issue I ran into might have been from all the editing and server shutdowns and startups, but since I am new to running an Epoch server, I wanted to get some advice. I am perfectly fine with all of the script, PBO editing, all of that good stuff. The database, I'm not so hot on.

I've googled quite a bit, and read through all the forums here trying to find out if there was something I was missing with database maintenance. I know there are cleanup procedures and such, but I have no idea if there was some setup I needed to do in addition to 'vanilla' server or anything like that. I suspect the high amount of lag I was seeing might have been due to a lack of database scripting for cleaning stuff up. But I have no idea if there is anything I should add.

I use a command-line batch file to run the server, and it just sits in a console window in the background while we play. When I shut it down, I simply close the console window. Which led me to thinking if perhaps there was a key or something in specific you had to press to get the server to shutdown 'properly'? Are there additional steps I should be taking with the MySQL database to keep things running smoothly? This is only the second server I have ever ran that used a database, the first being Everquest, so I'm not really that great with SQL. Last time I ran a server I used the Control Center package, and didn't put any add-ons or scripts into the game, so I'm thinking I must have missed some vital SQL steps that I haven't been able to find because I don't know what to search around for. Thanks in advance!

Back