Project : More Tents

Sir - isn't that supporting my observation tho? I believe Maciej wants to introduce all new content into the map file itself, which is a client forced download each time they connect, rather then having them download a seperate @dayz_whatever to play on the server.

Maciej - I think techniqually it COULD be done, but I believe it would push the map file download from being a few hundred KB to being megabites. Tents / New skins / Vehicles are generally "built" in the dayz_equip.pbo, which is very large. So large, that if you wrote code to go into the download, I think most players would alt-F4 before the map was EVER finished loading due to the assumed lag. While not actually lag, nobody will want to sit thru 10 megs of a "patch" each time they joined the server.

I think that's why dayz and all it's mods are generally written the way they're written.

Now - a smart launcher that detects the current playing rendition of a mod, and then forces a download and an install, and then attached to the server - that would be cool. (Rather then the current method of downloading each piece seperately, installing them all yourself, and then going back out to hunt for the server...)

Yeees. I mean, my mission file is 622 kb atm. It adds a couple features and overwrites couple of dayz .sqfs- that's how I modify weather, loot spawning, stealth calculations, temperature loss, zombie behaviour and a couple other things. Now, I read there is a way to add a CONFIG file to the mission, containing all the necessary "forced overwrites"- technically that's what rMod is, for instance. If you un-pbo rMod, it is basically just a huge config file... Now, I am looking for a proper way to make such a config file so that it is small, and only "overwrites" a couple things.

It's one thing to re-write new tables and some basic code that doesn't rely on anything else... but it's another to give players additional mouse over options that don't actually exhist in their @dayz files. Then again, wasteland does it just fine, so i bet there's something there that can be researched and applied to @dayz.

Yeees. I mean, my mission file is 622 kb atm. It adds a couple features and overwrites couple of dayz .sqfs- that's how I modify weather, loot spawning, stealth calculations, temperature loss, zombie behaviour and a couple other things. Now, I read there is a way to add a CONFIG file to the mission, containing all the necessary "forced overwrites"- technically that's what rMod is, for instance. If you un-pbo rMod, it is basically just a huge config file... Now, I am looking for a proper way to make such a config file so that it is small, and only "overwrites" a couple things.
I was looking more or less for using Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA objects along with custom textures (low-resolution for the mission download) and custom classes to be defined by the mission file that will format an object with a texture and a certain function... like the custom tents.

Everyone, don't stress so hard about the size of your mission. I'd say so long as it's under 10mb or so, it won't be too much of an issue. Just about everybody has high speed bandwidth, so I think they'll be ok to download a small file to connect. Mine's 2mb and I don't even notice.

Kind-Sir is right - you could create some custom classes in the mission folder to define new objects - like your custom tents. You'd have to go low res probably, as these texture files will add up.

If you can use textures that are already ingame - you just have to unban them a la rMod (really the easiest way is to just install rMod, but then your clients need it too. It's tiny, but users are lazy dicks and don't want to install anything else at all. And it's not in dayzcommander for some reason. I'd go this route personally - find a tent you like, and either install rMod to use it, or unban it yourself.

Everyone, don't stress so hard about the size of your mission. I'd say so long as it's under 10mb or so, it won't be too much of an issue. Just about everybody has high speed bandwidth, so I think they'll be ok to download a small file to connect. Mine's 2mb and I don't even notice.

Kind-Sir is right - you could create some custom classes in the mission folder to define new objects - like your custom tents. You'd have to go low res probably, as these texture files will add up.

If you can use textures that are already ingame - you just have to unban them a la rMod (really the easiest way is to just install rMod, but then your clients need it too. It's tiny, but users are lazy dicks and don't want to install anything else at all. And it's not in dayzcommander for some reason. I'd go this route personally - find a tent you like, and either install rMod to use it, or unban it yourself.

Oh I agree that under 10mb isn't a problem, but I'm at 6mb already and I'm not done a buncha things I'm working on. New tent types would be a must have, especially if they are the dark green short dome ones.

Ideally after lots of testing and getting everything done, I'd change the mission file very rarely so people wouldn't have to DL the mission file over and over based on tiny additions or tweaks.

@Manatee Hunter
That's pretty big! - I'm assuming you've got a lot in your mission.sqm for custom buildings? What else is making it so huge? Mine was tiny, even with all the stuff I've done - it's my siren sounds files that account for a lot of my 2mb.

Any buildings that don't need an init line could probably go into the database, no? It would drop that filesize.

Yes, it would, but buildings tend to shift in the DB and I do not know why or how to prevent it from happening. Either way - I'd still totally add texture files and new tents, regardless of size!

I try to keep my mission .pbo less than 200kb.
I have pretty slow internet, and it does kill me to redownload the .pbo file every server restart.
Currently, I'm working on a program that will minify code. It will essentially remove spaces, comments, and lines from your mission's code, which can save a good amount of bytes.

I try to keep my mission .pbo less than 200kb.
I have pretty slow internet, and it does kill me to redownload the .pbo file every server restart.
Currently, I'm working on a program that will minify code. It will essentially remove spaces, comments, and lines from your mission's code, which can save a good amount of bytes.

Yeh I was about to start chopping out on all the things you've mentioned.. but no program for it :S

so to use this all i have to do is go into my @dayz folder exchange the stuff inside those pbo's and just put them back into the @dayz folder? dont need to include into my mission pbo?

ALKINDA - you talking about the tents? The way I wrote it, the tent nonsense is independant of the mission file itself. What these guys have suggested is find a way to build it into the mission file so that it doesn't have to over-ride the @DayZ stuff.

The scope of the mission file editing is much larger then just including the second tent addition. You'd have to also completely over-ride the loot tables found in dayz_code.pbo - as none of the building loot tables has the dome_tent object in them. You'd then need your player ability to pitch the tent, interact with the tent, and pack the tent back up (and sleep in the tent)... all that would have to be in the mission file as well.

I'm not saying it can't be done, i'm just saying it's not a simple cut and paste and WHAM - you're done. It would take a lot of re-design to get it to function right.

And at that point, we might as well just write ALL of dayz into the mission file, and make it so that anyone connecting to the server just downloads dayz and plays, without an addon pack. (If we were all playing with fiberoptic / T1 internet connections, I think they'd have gone this route a long time ago.)

ALKINDA - you talking about the tents? The way I wrote it, the tent nonsense is independant of the mission file itself. What these guys have suggested is find a way to build it into the mission file so that it doesn't have to over-ride the @DayZ stuff.

The scope of the mission file editing is much larger then just including the second tent addition. You'd have to also completely over-ride the loot tables found in dayz_code.pbo - as none of the building loot tables has the dome_tent object in them. You'd then need your player ability to pitch the tent, interact with the tent, and pack the tent back up (and sleep in the tent)... all that would have to be in the mission file as well.

I'm not saying it can't be done, i'm just saying it's not a simple cut and paste and WHAM - you're done. It would take a lot of re-design to get it to function right.

And at that point, we might as well just write ALL of dayz into the mission file, and make it so that anyone connecting to the server just downloads dayz and plays, without an addon pack. (If we were all playing with fiberoptic / T1 internet connections, I think they'd have gone this route a long time ago.)

hmm where can i change the pointing location for equip.pbo? like i would change compiles.sqf to point to my mission folder for changes i wanted to be seen by users, so i look inside compiles and i dont see anything equip related. am i missing somthing or will i have to actually have them download the whole pbo beforehand

I've never tried any of that myself. I've always "customed" the @dayz rather then do all my changes in the mission.pbo. Perhaps Sir knows.

Back