Sleeping mechanic for 2017 - your suggestions!

Here's my two cents on this...

I think adding sleep as a need is unrealistic - especially when dependent upon tents. Realistically, one can sleep anywhere, tent or no tent. And sleeping for a few seconds is really unrealistic. If you want to realistically represent fatigue, have a fatigue meter and slow down running speed and make it impossible to sprint once it's flashing. And, if it flashes for too long, the character passes out - then you can have the flashes of nightmares. Passing out should not stop the flashing meter, though... you should still have to take a break after... You'll just have a couple of minutes to find cover and rest before passing out again. The meter can diminish faster depending on your speed of movement, whether your weapon is raised and your stance - kind of like how the breathing noises come up while running, moving crouched, crawling or rolling. Have the meter return back to normal slowly when one is sitting. This is realistic. When I've done my long distance hillwalking, I've taken a 10 or so minute break every couple of hours to rejuvenate. I would say make it a 2 minute sit in order to refill the meter (seems like a reasonable contraction of time). And tying rate of fatigue to blood level would also be a good feature. This means some characters in a group, for example will tire faster than others... you may find a group with some resting while others "take watch." You'll see groups abandon a player who can't keep up. It can lead to some interesting interactions.

Making a tent enterable as cover to prevent heat loss seems more realistic a mechanic to add to tents.

Just my opinion. I mean, it looks cool, but my opinion is that a sleep mechanic is unrealistic and doesn't really add anything to the game.

I see what you mean, but then again, how well will you sleep on the ground compared to sleeping in a tent? ;)

And I think you're getting the weight and sleep system confused - the two have nothing in common and they don't effect each other at all atm. (fatigue is part of the weight system - the sleep system is purely sleeping)

I see what you mean with that it is unrealistic to just sleep for a few seconds or rest a few seconds, but if people had to wait 2 minutes to be able to run again, no-one would play I think. It seems to be more hyperrealism, which is not really what we're looking for.

A tent is on the ground and, unless you have something more than just a tent, you're sleeping on the ground.

I'm not confusing the two, I'm saying I think a sleep mechanic is unrealistic and doesn't add anything to the game experience for the sleeper apart from, possibly, a nightmare cutscene, where as modifying the fatigue system does - including the possibility of a nightmare cutscene.

And, I didn't say they couldn't run for two minutes, I said it would take 2 minutes to completely refill the meter. They wouldn't be able to run if it was empty and flashing. Besides, one might think people wouldn't fly a helicopter if it took 10 or more minutes to fill it up with gas... that they wouldn't play the game if it took an hour of, often, uneventful running to get from point A to point B... that they wouldn't play if they had to spend so much time looking for an animal to kill just to stay alive... and, yet... they do.

Don't forget looking for parts to fix up cars before the parts became extremely common.

I remember the first time our group found a Vehicle in DayZ (Vanilla).
Story ahead:
It was a S1203 Van at a gas station North of Sol.
We spent a good 3-4 hours running back and forth from the Factory slightly North just to get it running in a state we deemed "Good enough" (Mostly busted Windows, yellow Engine/Fuel, New Tires, New Hull).
Then for the next 8 hours or so we had the most fun one could possibly have, driving around and exploring while finding loot and avoiding players. Every once in awhile we had to stop for food/water. Eventually we decided to head North to look for animals, because something had happened to the server and loot had stopped spawning. We stopped at Balota (Our Driver didn't know the map too well yet, and really, none of us knew any more then he did.) and a Sniper took out the driver, and 2 wheels in less than 5 seconds. Me and 2 others made it behind the van for cover, when another shot went through the windows and took another out. The cow we had come to murder stood by silently and watched us get slowly taken apart by this sniper. I went out to flank as my friend became a distraction (and died). We had figured out he was on the ATC tower and we were at the SE end of the strip, about 700m Away. I had an M107 so I found a good spot and watched the tower till he showed himself. I hadn't learned how to use the Zeroing system yet (lol) so my first shot missed terribly, and he learned where I was instantly. He missed as well but my second shot hit him right between the eyes. Unfortuanatly at this point the Van had 3 missing tired, no glass, red fuel, red hull, and an orange engine. We weren't going anywhere, any time soon. They eventually made it back to the van, with a few parts here and there (+2 hours later), and just when we had got 4 wheels on it and were about to drive away, a cheater teleported everyone in the server to NWAF and executed us.
It was at this point we decided to start playing on Private Hives only.
If you could get that feeling again, of being New to DayZ, would you?

A tent is on the ground and, unless you have something more than just a tent, you're sleeping on the ground.

I'm not confusing the two, I'm saying I think a sleep mechanic is unrealistic and doesn't add anything to the game experience for the sleeper apart from, possibly, a nightmare cutscene, where as modifying the fatigue system does - including the possibility of a nightmare cutscene.

And, I didn't say they couldn't run for two minutes, I said it would take 2 minutes to completely refill the meter. They wouldn't be able to run if it was empty and flashing. Besides, one might think people wouldn't fly a helicopter if it took 10 or more minutes to fill it up with gas... that they wouldn't play the game if it took an hour of, often, uneventful running to get from point A to point B... that they wouldn't play if they had to spend so much time looking for an animal to kill just to stay alive... and, yet... they do.
Well a lot of tents have floors ;) You gotta have some roleplaying fantasy here of course.

I don't see how a sleep mechanic is unrealistic but I will tell you this - there is an experience for the player - in fact, you might become very paranoid because of it. I just don't want to spoil it atm, to give a better effect to players.

Well the difference is that in all these situations you mentioned you are actually doing something and you wouldn't be doing that so often. This would mean you would be resting for 2 minutes every so often, and I think that would get really tedious.

Well, I don't think people would get fatigued as quickly as you're imagining. And, as I said, just like a car doesn't need to have a full tank to run for a while, nobody would be required to sit for 2 minutes in order to get going. Heck, I'd even say prople could recover, albeit more slowly, by staying still crouched with their weapon lowered or lie prone. That way, if people are in a fight and their icon starts flashing, they can find some cover and rest for a few seconds to get the icon to stop flashing, then get back into it.

But, anyway, I just feel that the sleep mechanic - as it's been described, especially being as short as it is and being tied to a tent - would take me out of the world. That's my opinion and modifying the fatigue system was just a suggestion. So, let's leave the suggestion aside for the moment.

Some things to consider:

What happens when someone is in a fight or fixing a vehicle and suddenly has to leave to go the 7km back to his tent to sleep for 30 seconds and then trek back the 7km to find the fight over or the vehicle he wanted to repair gone. The pay off of sleep wouldn't be enough to make that huge pain in the ass worth it. Nobody's going to want to stop what they're doing to make a huge time consuming trip to their camp to sleep.

Or will people have to carry tents around with them?

Can they go to sleep at anytime or only when their tired? If they can go to sleep at anytime then... What's the point? People will spawn in their camp, sleep for 30 seconds, then head out and the sleep mechanic will never have an impact on the game for them.

People can function without sleep for days - particularly in a high adrenaline state. So, this will happen... what? Every game day? Every two? Three?

I'm trying to point out the serious flaws of a sleep mechanic. Like I said, the idea of having people rest is cool. The idea of a nightmare cutscene is awesome. Using the tents for something other than storage is fantastic. I just strongly feel that a sleep mechanic is forcing something real into the world by making it completely unrealistic and in such a way that, should they ever reach the point of NEEDING to use it, it would only piss people off. And, if it's setup so that it can be dealt with at anytime, it will never be anything more than just some activity someone does when they spawn in. Log on, sleep, gear up, head out.

So, I think... as I think should be done with any new feature in a game... Why do it? How does it further gameplay? How does it enhance someone's experience in the game?

I just started playing 2017 gdscei, and I had to comment. You're doing excellent work! Best immersion experience I've ever had in any version of DayZ.

I just started playing 2017 gdscei, and I had to comment. You're doing excellent work! Best immersion experience I've ever had in any version of DayZ.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it :) The total immersion feeling is not only made by me though, the whole team is responsible for that ;)

Back