Standalone map porting

Audio Rejectz

Hi, i have a feeling nobody will know the answer to this, as i know Rocket has been sparse with some of standalone's features. But as a few of the members on here are working in the community repository i thought i'd try my luck lol

Anyway, does anyone know if an arma 2 map could be ported to standalone? I started work on a map a few months back but when standalone was announced i kinda gave up as i didnt want to spend a lot of time on something people might play for a week lol
Ive no work now until January so i was tempted to continue with it whilst i had nothing else to do

Hi Mate,

None of us know, but to give a confident guess it won't (I figure due to the new archtecture rocket has spoke of). I expect we will know more when SA is released.

Its still worth working with your map though. You will learn a shit ton about modeling and SQF is a very good light intro to object oriented programming, so it would be transferable to other places still.

Also keep in mind that Arma 3 is due out and that is going to be pretty dam fine. Getting to know the Real Virtuality engine before hand will put you in good stead. To be honest with you I am just a little more higher up the excited level about Arma 3 then I am the standalone (but that might change when I see what SA is capable of).

Thanks for the reply man

I kinda gathered nobody would know yet, just thought i would try my luck. I think ill have a play around with the map still, suppose it will help me with my modeling. Ive slowly being learning Sqf, though my knowledge on that at present is limited.
I think i was more hesitant to learn more about the VE engine because im doubting it will be as open to mod as it currently is. As it is inevitably going to be more popular, merely down to DayZ bringing a lot more attention to arma. And with that brings more hacks, so leaving it so open wouldn't be an option

Thats my opinion anyway

If DayZ standalone isn't open to modding the way this one is its going to get old fast, dayZ is like minecraft really and the fact that i can mod my private server is what keeps me playing it, otherwise i would have installed MSO and started working on my own mission file that had more stuff to do than just dayz

the only thing DayZ has is the persistence, once that is replicated the way it is in dayz in arma natively its over.

Oh yeah that being said, the mapping tools and everythingmost likely wont change because that would require a change in the engine, from arma 1 -> 2 the only thing that really changed was some optimization stuff and the transition from sqs to sqf, but the syntax stayed the same for the most part.

Back