WANT: 1.7.7.1 Chernarus Base Building and Underground Buildings

JohnYoung

Hey Everyone,

I've done a load of reading and apologise if this has been answered already but I am wondering if there are any options available for base building in Chernarus 1.7.7.1 (i know it exists in epoch) and also if anyone is aware if the functionality exists for creating underground buildings/bases in the same.

I have seen countless youtube clips of mods where players can enter underground areas but i cannot find any info telling me if it is or ISNT available in Chernarus 1.7.7.1.

Any help, feedback, criticism is welcome.

Cheers,

John

Underground isn't possible with Chernarus.

Base building, simple....use the search function and use the SQF method, its the easiest. The difference between SQF and database methods produce different results and each has their own pitfalls/benefits.

SQF, items you place stay exactly how they are placed. If you place something on sloped ground, the base of the object will lay flat on the ground. Which means if you place a building on sloped ground its bottom will be flat on the ground, thus making the building lean. Problem with that is it doesn't look real for buildings as leaning buildings will crumble in a second. Another problem is laying items on other items is hard to get flat without any levitation. If you put a laptop on a table it'll be flat in the editor, but when you put it in the lappy will levitate. The numerical values for height are long and hard to interpret in SQF.

Certain buildings/items/etc via DB won't be exactly where you put them and can be a lengthy nightmare of restarts. If you lay a building on any sort of slope or any item for that matter, it will point straight up. In many cases, this is desirable...in some its not. I prefer using DB for adding buildings on sloped ground. I looks more real.

Also, if you have mad pages of DB buildings, it'll slow down server performance as the server needs to process all the pages in the DB when a player does any action. I had 35-50 pages of buildings stuffs in the DB and recently cleared it. I now have all my buildings in SQF inside my dayz_server.pbo. The only buildings I have in my DB are laptops and a handful of buildings I wanted straight up [base on a hill]...less than 1 page.

Another benefit of SQF is it creates a handy back-up of your work. If you do everything via DB, it'll be lost if you decide to change maps or close down for a while. SQF, you'll have the files to use at your disposal whenever you need them.

My suggestion is use mostly SQF and keep the instances in the DB to a minimum, only when needed. Also, keep your SQF's in your server pbo.

Hope this helped!

Hi Dusty,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was incredibly detailed and helpful. Are you aware if there is a base building script that works in 1.7.7.1 as well? where players collect items and use them to build a base? at the moment i just have them collecting items and then giving them to me and then i build them a building.

cheers so much,

John

Hi Dusty,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was incredibly detailed and helpful. Are you aware if there is a base building script that works in 1.7.7.1 as well? where players collect items and use them to build a base? at the moment i just have them collecting items and then giving them to me and then i build them a building.

cheers so much,

John

I know about the base building script. Afaik, seems more trouble than its worth. Plus, with the way people come and go there would be a lot of bases to remove. If you make a base for someone and they leave you can just take the SQF out of the pbo. Also, I enjoy base building in the editor. It opened a new world of fun for me. I focus on keeping a sense of realism on my server and this transcends with how I build bases. I try and make every base different to give it that real feel.

One thing I forgot to mention about another positive for SQF, when you put walls up you definitely want them in SQF cuz they will lay flat. If you put walls in via DB the wall heights will vary with each piece and looks like ass.

Thanks for the thanks!

Back