weapon audibility

Hi,

I added the "RH_Scarh_sd_gl_eotech" - "20rnd_762x51_B_SCAR" weapon from the rh MS pack, such a lovely gun. Notice that it is a SILENCED rifle firing SD rounds.

The problem is that it has the same SONIC effect on zombies as 2 mk48 mod 0's in unison! Not every time but most times when i fire it all the zombies will come.

I looked at dayz_code\compile\player_fired and at the config in dayz_weapons, even looked it the rh_ cfgs where the weapon is defined but I can't understand where the sound level is defined.

Anyone know anything about this?

Bumping this, as I too would love to know where we can find the sound information. Looking through how sound levels are called, it seems as though they are defined by arma and not dayz, so we may be out of luck in terms of editing it.

I found this info a while back, and it basically says that it is entirely the bullet that defines how loud the zeds hear it
But I can use an 'RH' weapon that uses standard stannag sd yet it is noticably louder to the zeds.

It could be that dayz is getting the soundlevel from the 'rh' configs. I dont know if dayz defines the round volume again or whether it gets it from arma.

Soundlevel

@Oliva: Yes, they are directly from the code. One thing to mention: the volume of the sound you hear when firing and the value used to determine the distance you'll be audible are different. The former cames from the weapon ("play sound file xy with loudness z") the latter is from the ammo ("audible value times 10 times caliber = distance in meters"). That is why the same weapon is nearly inaudible when used with SD ammo.

@SEi: It should be easy to maintain. After every patch (DayZ) just check for new entries in dayz_weapon/config.cpp/CfgAmmo.hpp. I'll do this for as long as I'm contributing to the wiki ;)
I'll leave the table on my personal site for now, until I have either confirmed them in DayZ or in a self-created Editormission. - Leucetius 23:45, 12 June 2012 (MDT)

@Leucetius: it seems to me that you forgot one value in your calculation, which is the weapon base value. To me it seems impossible that a M9 + SD ammo has the same volume as a M9SD + SD ammo (as you already said yourself it should be). I'll try to have a look at it too (when I can find some spare time). - Grezvany13 01:52, 13 June 2012 (MDT)

@Grezvany13: Another pair of eyes would be great. I've my data from dayz_code/compile/player_fired.sqf
_distance = round(_audible * 10 * _caliber);
(snip)
_id = [_unit,_distance,true,(getPosATL player)] spawn player_alertZombies;
No other factor in the calculation. Just distance from ammo and that goes straight to the player_alertZombie (where it is used to build an array with all zombies in a circle with radius _distance around the player) - Leucetius 03:31, 13 June 2012 (MDT)

Exactly the problem, I want to run the game with guns being useable, rather than every non-silenced weapon being a dinner bell. I'll try looking through arma's base files, I assume I would need to distribute any changed files to my players as well? We play with BattlEye and requiring signatures off, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Back