What addons do I need for my DayZ.ST server?

So I ordered a DayZ.st server and edted the map with a bunch of cool bases a stationary train and other buildings around the map. I've been having a lot of fun editing the things I can with the database but I want to add a little more. For one thing I am positive I am going to add the refueling and dogs to the server as soon as I figure out just how to do it.

Anyway, my question to all you good folks is this. What else do you think I should add to my server?

Entirely depends on the direction you want to take with your server... some go crazy and have crazy ass tanks/attack helis and mili loot galore, while others want a hardcore experience and attempt to make things as hard as possible - making supplies for survival very hard to find, etc.

What I'm looking for is, what are the popular addons people like.i now the refueling and dogs are fun. Are there any others?

Honestly different people like different things. If you're looking to do what everyone else is doing... well... 1) take a look at the number of servers for each map

2) Think to what kinda playerbase you'd like to cater to, one looking for an original take on the zombie apocalypse with interesting features. Those looking for a deathmatch world with zombies in it, some purists wanting to play pretty similar to official public hives.

Some people enjoy a little bit of AI, some people like lots, some don't want any at all.

dogs are great because those wanting one can get one, while it doesn't dramatically hurt those who don't have one.

Salvage parts / siphon fuel are awesome regardless of direction you take with your server.

Auto refuel is good, but its a bit iffy for some - especially if your auto refuel is very fast... I personally have auto fuel that goes crazzzzzy slow. Automated is good. Automated AND fast... Not good. (that's my personal opinion).

Some like 800+ vehicles, some want it to be a rare thing that you find, repair and try to keep cuz there aren't many... Some servers have fully repaired and fueled vehicles all over.

Honestly. I say come up with an experience you'd like to deliver to people. If they join and like it.. they'll stay, and often times help or comment on what they'd like to see... and if you like.. you can just follow popular demand. Personally, I'm more driven to make an experience as challenging as possible, been working on loot tables for a couple days, adding in a bunch of things to drive a certain style of play.

Best thing I can do is offer you what I been trying to do:

1 - Took a map I kinda enjoy that has tons of room for improvement (celle)

2 - Decided to add tons of buildings, custom towns and the sort (again because it has so much open space that could use improvements)

3 - Implement PixeLs fine and dandy dogs. They track animals!

4 - Make cans of food and drink basically non existent.

5 - Thanks to Graz water pumps don't work so people have to find water bottles and travel to bodies of water.

6 - People can perhaps find a dog and use it to help them find animals to eat

7 - Reduce the number of places to get meds and fuel as well as industrial loot.

8 - working on reducing lots of things in the loot table....

9 - So with vehicle parts being harder to farm - you can find other vehicles and strip them for parts and use tin cans to make scrap metal.

10 - I've made bicycles/motorcycles more common - the map is in germany after all and made vehicles more of a treasured item. To make this effective I made tires common, so you can repair bicycles and land vehicles easily + get a few cans to get scrap to fix the hull, but i've made the essentials for helis very hard to come by specifically the rotor and the glass (non essential for land vehicles) not to mention having to make scrap to get a heli going. (Basically making it so clans have to put considerable effort into repairing it)

11 - Celle has a shitload of new guns. Some of them too good for my taste (mili ones). So i'll be removing those. Most of the mili loot will be SMGs, while civi locations will have a very large list of all the pistols. The silenced weps and some of the more "special" ones will be crash sites only.

12 - Redoing skin spawn locations as well as a variety of other things - like making a small chance for vehicle parts to spawn in farms

13 - Auto refuel is great, but I made sure to make it really slow, so slow that if you wanted to do it manually you'd get it done faster if you have a few jerry cans (but jerry cans are pretty damn rare too!)

14 - I intend on implementing base building when daimyo decides to release 1.2

15 - I been working on a loadout lottery - basically each time you respawn you have a new loadout (decent ones are very rare - and there's a handful of "default" style ones to add a bit of flavour, and starting with an appropriate skin. So a "medic" with some meds on him will get the medic skin in his starting kit

16 - Vehicle stuff - Tow vehicles. Lift vehicles. Fast rope from helicopters. HALO when you first spawn as well as from helis.

There's so many helpful people on these forums... And 99% of this information can already be found here if you dig for it. So good luck to you! I suggest you plan out the playstyle you desire for your server and try to make it happen!

A few things I know for a fact that are necessary regardless of cool things you add - is good management of your server and keeping out hackers as best as possible. Good admins are essential, more essential than any addon.

Those are great comments. Thanks! Another question you might help with is this. I'm a carpenter by trade and only have good knowledge of how this game and the database works. Most of my knowledge comes from reading this board. It doesn't sound beyond my abilities so that's why I ordered the dayz.st server and to learn how to edit the game.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make some baby steps towards editing the game? is adding refueling a good frst step?

I would do this, but it seems every time I try to edit something on my server, it stops working. I dont program at ALL. They should implement a super easy gui way to setup servers / lootspawns/ gear etc built right into a map. That way we could have a lot of really cool and interesting server settings, since the creative guys like me that cant code can get in on it too! All my beans to whoever does this first. :D

Well... take a look around, you'll def find things you can do yourself, I have no skill whatsoever, just happen to be able to read and ask the right questions to the right people. This place is good like that =)

Back