Where to begin learning scripting?

ClichedBluefish

I've put up a server and customized it pretty much as much as possible without getting into scripting, but now I'm looking into things like vehicle scavenging and cannibalism, which would require scripting.

Basically I'm wondering where I should go to begin learning how to script. I've been teaching myself C++ on and off for the past few months and am pretty comfortable with it, although I'm not that experienced with C#. Any help/suggestions/links would be much appreciated!

Thanks, ClichedBluefish

I am new to scripting, but have recently spent many, many hours fully engrossed in it. Here are the helpful things I have come across. It would be great if everyone would list what they use since I am sure there are more/better resources than what are on my list.

--Notepad++ with ArmA plugin (I suggest making a folder with just the extracted pbos, mission file, and unrapped bins. Never edit these files, but use them in Notepad++'s awesome Find-in-Files search that will search every file in a folder for a keyword--extremely helpful!!!)

--FSM Edit from BI Tools 2.5.1 (for FSM files)

--CPBO and unrap from Kegety's ArmA Tools (I only use the command line for CPBO--had issues with the right-click option (bad PBO's)

--DSSignFile & DSCreateKey (sign the pbo files & force players have the correct files) (I think these are found if you install BinPBO from the above BI Tools--install, move those two exe files, then uninstall BinPBO if you want)

--ArmA 2 scripting commands (definitely required!)

--Forums: ArmA Tunngle, BIS scripting, and here at OpenDayZ.net (of course)

--arma2.rpt file in the server cfgdayz folder (can check for errors and diag_log entries)

If you are just getting started I would stress organization, regular saving in a different folder (as soon as a single change works), and keeping that untouched set of extracted pbos/bins in a separate folder like I mentioned above for reference (make the folder read-only, so you don't accidentally change anything in there).

Place all of those non-installed (loose) exe's from above and your edited pbo folders in the same folder, so you have just one "working" folder to keep things simple.

Other than that, just dive right into the sqf and fsm files. It might not make much sense at first, but it does come eventually (even for a guy like me).

as soon as a single change works

OMG you dont know how many times i have figured out something in coding only to end up later needing that not able to find an example of what i did and have no clue what i typed either(to much midnight oil)

Also take any code your tring to learn, IE dayz code for example.

put all that code into a folder like so:
SE043tx.png

Then make another folder in that for your project work, then anytime you need to search for a varible or function you can just refrence the root of the folder and search your code and the mod code. (make sure to unrap the config.bin's) in this picture all the folders have all the file contents of whatever.pbo, im working on stuff for my dayz server so i need to be able to see the entire tree of code.

If i what to know about a function i search on this folder in all files using notepad++ and i find what im looking for really quick.

Back