Animated/Realistic Helicrashs

Grafzahl

Valued Member!
Hey Guys,

i was thinking about REAL Crashsites in DayZ. Actualy there is just a wreck spawning on a "random" time. In real life survivor would be able to see and hear the crashing chopper, flying over the map, then getting damage and falling to the ground.

So i googled a bit, and found nearly what i wanted: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...imulate-a-chopper-crash&p=1416051#post1416051

I tried this in my spawnCrashsite-Script and it is working :) Iam creating a Huey somewhere in debug, then porting it 1000m over a random place on the map and removing its fuel... it falling to the ground, exploding (so all survivors around 1km can hear the crash or maybe even see the explosion), then i remove the actual crashed chopper and place a static crashsite at the exact location of the crashed chopper and spawn the loot around it.

My only problem is that the chopper is falling to the ground like a stone, because he has no actual speed or direction where he is comming from, doesnt look realistic (even when its more realistic then spawning just a crashsite out of nowhere). So i think the best way would be a AI Chopper which spawns somewhere in the air, then is flying to the exact coordinates of the crashsite and hitting the ground so hard that it has to explode. Maybe we could also add some smoke to the flying chopper, so it looks like its burning.

It would be great if someone with a little bit more AI-Know-How could help me with this last step, i think animated crashsites would be so great in this game... would at so much realism.

I will share it when its complete, if someone has some AI skills and knows an easy way for spawning an flying AI Huey + In Air + 1 Waypoint on the Ground... we would be ready to go.

No, Speed isnt the Problem... The Heli would have to Start on a random Place of the map... Then getting the Crashsites position as waypoint, flying there and exploding on the ground.

Iam also thinking about not just dropping the loot around the helicrash, i will try to create some ai units that have the weapons equipped and theire dead bodys laying around the crashsite and can be looted.

Well,

i would do the following:

a) run an endless loop on the server , that in random intervals: spawns in a group consisting of a heli AND a pilot at a random place
b) generate a random waypoint for it
c) add a trigger to that waypoint
d) if the heli gets into the trigger area, set the fuel to 0 and kill the pilot (name the heli and set it as condition of the trigger)
e) wait a bit to let it go down
f) verify that it really crashed (pilot AI is intelligent, he might bring it down in one piece, thats why i would kill the pilot), if it didnt crash blow it up
g) either do as you stated above and get the pos of the wreck and exchange it with a normal wreck spawn
h) or simply add a couple of weaponholders and add loot to them around the position of the wreck.

cheers

Sarge

Sounds good, do you have any code snippets for me regarding the trigger and AI Pilot? Everything else is already working on my testmachine.

Same here, this is like the current crash chopper mission on A3 wasteland and I must say it really does get your attention when you hear the chopper coming down.

Ok, since no one here is comming up with any codelines regarding simple AI Chopper-Handling ;), i tried some things...

I get the AI chopper to spawn, and i get an AI Pilot to spawn right next to it... but somehow he doesnt want to go into the chopper and fly it to my designated waypoint...

Code:
        _helipilot = [getPos _crashwreck, WEST, ["Survivor3_DZ"],[],[],[],[],[],180] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;
        _helipilot action["moveToDriver", _crashwreck];
        _helipilot assignAsDriver _crashwreck;
        [_helipilot] orderGetIn true;
        _wp1 = _helipilot addWaypoint [_position, 0];

_crashwreck is the spawned chopper right next to the spawned AI Person, _position is the random position where he should fly to. But hes just standing there and looking @ me, he even doesnt start to run to the given waypoint.

I gotta say - this is a really cool idea. Aside from the fact that nothing in a zombie apocolypse would bring down an airborne chopper save 4 things.

1 - the pilot or one of the passengers "dies", zombies up, and starts attacking the other people in the chopper till the pilot is killed.
2 - the chopper runs out of fuel - thereby crash wouldn't really happen either - most choppers are built to be able to sort of land on no fuel, although very heavily... you generally wouldn't get a huge explosion when it hit the ground.
or
3 - equipment malfunction. Rotor detaches, instruments go fubar, something like that.
4 - someone on the ground shooting the chopper and killing the pilot or knocking out the aircraft's mechanical parts.

Each scenario would offer a uniquely cool shift on this already cool process.

situation 1 - somehow program the chopper to fly in a straight line, until it's about 500M from the crash waypoint, then have it start trying to barrel roll or loop-the-loop until it smashes into the ground.

situation 2 - chopper would seriously just have fuel set to 0 and fall out of the sky as it approaches the waypoint. killing the pilot would certainly work to ensure a more probable crash, but MAYBE, just maybe, the chopper is now a new live play chopper if a player can get to it fast enough and fix whatever on it is broke. (give it a 10 minute timer before it blows - either it moves 50M from it's current position (shutting the timer off perminently), or the timer goes (and it blows up, creating a crash site)

situation 3 - this one would have to be a fly directly toward the crash waypoint, and when within 1000M of it, start smoking, and decending rapidly. when it gets to the waypoint, it blows 100% and constructs the crash site.

situation 4 - what if a player shot one of these AI choppers down as it was pasisng overhead? Maybe they could recover the chopper like in Situation #2, maybe it's just fake fire damage from a temporary AI that appears, shoots, and then despawns before it can run rampant on the map killing players. Something to give the illusion that the chopper got shot down.

Anyway, those were my idealogical twists on this already neat idea.

Wish I could actually help and get this stuff programmed.... But my scripting and programming skills are just in the "amateur" spectrum.

I gotta say - this is a really cool idea. Aside from the fact that nothing in a zombie apocolypse would bring down an airborne chopper save 4 things.

1 - the pilot or one of the passengers "dies", zombies up, and starts attacking the other people in the chopper till the pilot is killed.
2 - the chopper runs out of fuel - thereby crash wouldn't really happen either - most choppers are built to be able to sort of land on no fuel, although very heavily... you generally wouldn't get a huge explosion when it hit the ground.
or
3 - equipment malfunction. Rotor detaches, instruments go fubar, something like that.
4 - someone on the ground shooting the chopper and killing the pilot or knocking out the aircraft's mechanical parts.

Each scenario would offer a uniquely cool shift on this already cool process.

situation 1 - somehow program the chopper to fly in a straight line, until it's about 500M from the crash waypoint, then have it start trying to barrel roll or loop-the-loop until it smashes into the ground.

situation 2 - chopper would seriously just have fuel set to 0 and fall out of the sky as it approaches the waypoint. killing the pilot would certainly work to ensure a more probable crash, but MAYBE, just maybe, the chopper is now a new live play chopper if a player can get to it fast enough and fix whatever on it is broke. (give it a 10 minute timer before it blows - either it moves 50M from it's current position (shutting the timer off perminently), or the timer goes (and it blows up, creating a crash site)

situation 3 - this one would have to be a fly directly toward the crash waypoint, and when within 1000M of it, start smoking, and decending rapidly. when it gets to the waypoint, it blows 100% and constructs the crash site.

situation 4 - what if a player shot one of these AI choppers down as it was pasisng overhead? Maybe they could recover the chopper like in Situation #2, maybe it's just fake fire damage from a temporary AI that appears, shoots, and then despawns before it can run rampant on the map killing players. Something to give the illusion that the chopper got shot down.

Anyway, those were my idealogical twists on this already neat idea.

Wish I could actually help and get this stuff programmed.... But my scripting and programming skills are just in the "amateur" spectrum.

You are SO FREAKING WRONG MAN.

SO WRONG.

On my server I have flying unicorns that attack helis, spikes them and hurls them at the ground.

I wish I could help as well, but I'm just glad someone is doing this.

Ok, i got it working, Heli and Hero spawning somewhere on the map, the hero jumps in the chopper and flies straight to the point where the crashsite should apear... now i have only to deal with getting the helipilot to crash the chopper exactly at the point of the crashsite :D

Hope i have a working demo tomorrow... will also look in the arma3 wl-code, maybe i can get some ideas from there ;)

Will you be creating a "randomness" much like the current heli crashes are placed? And what about flying into the map and crashing over time?

this project has me interested

I dont use the random-script which dayz uses, on my servers i created like 300 possible spawnpoins manually from which i take one random for each spawn, this way i have 100% control over the random places and its able to spawn crashsites in citys (low chance for cherno or electro) or even deep in the woods.

But the animated crashsites will have the same random spawnpoints, even the crashsite itself will look the same (but tress nearby the crash will be damaged), only the animation of the crash will be done before the crashsites spawns.

Cool thing is ;) Players could also be killed by a choppercrash... even when the chances are 1:100000000 :D

Haha. I'm def game for creating hundreds of custom spawn points for Celle. I might actually get that done tonight in advance of you posting your creation.

Hm, but if a bystander was really close enough, and saw it crash, wouldn't he see the crash, turn into a HeliCrash loot spawn, thus making it look very unrealistic? Or how would it work? Be cool if it would generate so much smoke from the crash you couldn't see for the few seconds it changes :)

Hm, but if a bystander was really close enough, and saw it crash, wouldn't he see the crash, turn into a HeliCrash loot spawn, thus making it look very unrealistic? Or how would it work? Be cool if it would generate so much smoke from the crash you couldn't see for the few seconds it changes :)

I like cake and pie. I regularly eat them both at the same time. Hopefully making it a massive poof of smoke won't be overly complicated... But if it is, this is still WAY better than what it currently is.

Back