Bases via Database or Mission.sqm

Not entirely sure Machine. If I understand the way it works correctly, every client who logs in receives information from the database, meaning, the database will have to send the information about the "non-cooked" (not present on the "vanilla" version of the map) buildings every time he relogs to the server because that information is not downloaded as a permanent file but as a caché, meaning that when he logs out, there's no record of those buildings existing anymore.

This is the opposite to how the mission or script method works. When you put the buildings through the mission file or you add them as a script (like I do), the client downloads the mission.pbo when entering the server only once (per time you change it that is). All the custom buildings or additions are there, so what's left for the client is to run the scripts on his own computer so he sees the "non-cooked" material.

When it comes to performance, I believe that editing the mission is not only an easier and more customizable method than database additions, but also a much softer performance hit.

Thanks, even if there is no difference that just sounds better :)

I do make complex areas with the database. Stuff 1 - 2 meters apart no problem. Whole new towns added. I think its really up to personal pref, I could open up arma 3d editor and build an army base in 15 minutes and have it on the server about 3 minutes after that. Very easy to do. Random buildings along the side of the road aint exactly how I'd put it. Like I said I have buildings placed with walls touching no problem. I have cars inside of small buildings no problem. All up to personal pref I suppose.

Precision work is possible in the DB as long as the precision itself is relative to the buildings you are creating and not to pre-existant buildings or a certain terrain.

I've seen several databases and map tools and most of the time the database coordinates are a bit off when you check them in-game.

One thing i gotta mention, when u save any mission in editor, the game moves stuff around a bit. Check yuor work right after saving!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I'm trying to add a custom camp and two object compositions to my map via the mission.sqm. I tried with the database but it was so inaccurate every time that I think I have to do it the mission way.

The problem is when I add the vehicle list to mission.sqm and load up my server, only about half the camp is added and neither of the object compositions show up.

I followed a guide I found on google by someone on another website but had the same issue:
Uhm, haven't used it in a while, but iirc:
- Fire up DayZ Commander and connect to a server running the map you want to edit.
- Before it actually logs into that server, go back to main menu. It was just an easier way to start the game with a specific mod.
- Hit ALT+E to open the map editor, the map you want to edit will be in the list, quite possibly with an icon or something like that next to the name.
- Place a Center (dont change any values in the little window that opens up), a Group (dont change any values in the little window that opens up), and then a Unit (set 'Playable' to the Playable value, set the skin to survivor or s.th. if you want, doesn't really matter tho. Just the playable part matters) to the map anywhere. ArmA2 Map Editor doesn't let you save it otherwise.
- Place objects via the Vehicle (most objects count as vehicles, just roll with it. Don't try to place actual vehicles like cars or helis this way. It doesn't end well!!) or Object Composition button, then save to a name.
- Leave the editor, alt+tab out of the game.
- Open your %USERS%/Documents/ArmA 2 Other Profiles/%profile name%/missions/ folder and you'll see a subdirectory named <the name you used when saving>.<name of the actual map>. In it is a .sqf and a .biedi file, drag&drop the .biedi file onto 3de_conv.exe (look for 3de on one of those arma2 mod sites, you'll find it), it creates an sqm file.
- Open your %USERS%/Documents/ArmA 2 Other Profiles/%profile name%/MPMissions/ folder. Create two folders, one named original.<mapname> or s.th. like that and one named <whateveryouwant>.<mapname>
- Put the .sqm file 3de just created into the whateveryouwant folder, grab the MP mission pbo for that map from your server, create a backup of it, open it up in PBO manager (you'll find it anywhere 3de is available too), and drag&drop the contained .sqm file to the original.<mapname> folder
- Alt+tab back into the game. Go to multiplayer, chose the New button to create a server and hit ok to get to map selection, select the map you edited from the list at the bottom, then select <<New - Editor>> on the right side. It will open up the editor again. Click on load, the dropdown should show both the original and your version. Load the original.
- Click on merge, select your custom version from the dropdown. Find the blue Unit thing you placed earlier. Select it and delete it, we can't have that there, we only needed it because of a restraint in the editor earlier.
- Click on save, enter a new, third name of your liking, exit the editor and cancel starting up a server, leave the game altogether.
- Open your %USERS%/Documents/ArmA 2 Other Profiles/%profile name%/MPMissions/ folder. There is a third folder now, <thirdnameyouused>.<mapname>, in it is a .sqm file. Open your pbo file from earlier - remember to keep a backup of that file somewhere - remove the sqm inside it and copy over the mission.sqm from that third MPMissions folder. Close the PBO and replace the one on your server with that new one.

Done.

DayZ bans several objects and buildings... and lots of the compositions.

If you are going to edit a map, always make sure you are working with items that are allowed in DayZ.

DayZ bans several objects and buildings... and lots of the compositions.

If you are going to edit a map, always make sure you are working with items that are allowed in DayZ.

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure the objects/buildings I used are not banned though because the ones that are missing when added via my mission.sqm showed up when I added them via the DayZ.st database. Also some of the same type of objects made it in whilst others did not. For instance the vehicle nato net cover, two were added as I had them but one is completely missing.

Honestly, the best way i have seen to add buildings is using the Database and using Dayz CC to upload buildings... now i dont use dayz cc anymore, but this is how i added all of the buildings added extra to my server now. It was easy for Vilayer's customer support to take my Database that i had built on Dayz CC and move it all to my current Database running on their server. I have over 3k building objects and REALLY more like 850 vehicles with no lag... My server says 700+ because some people might think 850 is too much... but come and play in this harsh environment and you will be asking for more to keep you safe.

I use both methods.

The skalisty bridge for instance, needs to be perfect every time. So that's in the Mission file. Permernant building additions are also in there. However, player bases are anything related to an evolving story line, is done via the DB to make it easier to edit.

As for the additional mission file size. 100 objects made 10KB difference.....sweet FA.

I've seen mission files over 7MB and remember, unless you edit it people only download it once. To be fair I dont think the mission file size is relevant at all.

take the sqf file you get from the editor and do the following:

• Remove all the lines at the top before the first _vehicle_# line
  • Remove any units/groups from the file
  • Remove the last 3 lines from the bottom of the file
  • Save the file as whateveryouwanttocallit.sqf
  • Open up your dayz_server.pbo and create a folder called buildings
  • Place the file inside the buildings folder
  • Open up init\server_functions.sqf file
  • Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this line: call compile preProcessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_server\buildings\FILENAMEHERE.sqf";

take the sqf file you get from the editor and do the following:

• Remove all the lines at the top before the first _vehicle_# line
  • Remove any units/groups from the file
  • Remove the last 3 lines from the bottom of the file
  • Save the file as whateveryouwanttocallit.sqf
  • Open up your dayz_server.pbo and create a folder called buildings
  • Place the file inside the buildings folder
  • Open up init\server_functions.sqf file
  • Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this line: call compile preProcessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_server\buildings\FILENAMEHERE.sqf";
dayz_server.pbo?

I thought it was the mission pbo.

aint that what people download?

Back