[IDEA]Redirecting file calls to allow banned items[REALITY!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4spN3st

Problem: Some people (namely Dayz.st users) don't have access to the files in the @dayz folder. This makes it so that we can't "un-ban" items unless we use rmod. Rmod breaks a lot of scripts, and requires the client to download it as well, making it not practical for your regular dayz user who just wants to derp around on a few servers. An alternative method would be to edit the dayz_anim.pbo, and edit the config.cpp (and the files it calls, as of 1.8.0.3), however this requires the client to either download the .pbo as a separate mod (same problem with rmod) or for the server to disable signature checking, which opens up the server to hacking, etc.

Possible solution: Reroute the calls to the config.cpp in dayz_anim.pbo to a file/files in the mission.pbo/server.pbo, making it so that the user doesn't have to download anything extra to play on your server.

To make this happen, we'd need to find out where these files are called from and redirect them, like how it was done with other files (the player_monitor.fsm for the HALO jump spawn being a prime example). I have no doubt someone has done this, take a look at the DE 1000 servers, which have AS50's, M107's,(note, they work, with ammo that does damage - a key part) etc.

EDIT: A similar thing happens for AVendettaForYou's custom loot tables - dayz_code is overridden with a #include at the beginning of the description.ext file. I'll try this and let you guys know the results.

EDIT #2: Please disregard the above post, and always remember the difference between .cpp and .hpp files (everybody is allowed to be an idiot for at least once a day, right? No? Ok...). Going to try a call compile because I can't sleep :D.

EDIT #3: Call compile did not work. From checking the RPT logs, the banned items list is loaded before a server is joined, which is a problem. Perhaps calling them later/differently will yield different results? I'll keep trying and let you guys know.

Last edited:
Update: It's been a while since I originally posted, but I did eventually find out how to allow "banned" items. If there is enough interest, I'll make it into an addon and make it as simple as possible to install. If not, well, this can just be another dead thread.

Theres a DEF interest. Please post.
Someone keeps saying to edit the dayz_anim.pbo and to comment out the guns and vehilces you want unbanned. THAT DOES NOT WORK. All the clients who connect would need the same .pbo so please post what you did to get it to work

Definitely interested in this, I was attempting to do this on my server but I only got to the point where in the RPT it would say that it was updating all the banned class names to their correct names. Ingame it was still banned obviously.

What I had attempted was adding a couple configs in the dayz_server.pbo that were #included in the config file in there. In the RPT log is showed everything getting banned as normal, but at the end it would be like updating class banned -> scar (by dayz_server) blah blah blah.

I dont see how this would be possible. None of the files called in dayz anim are referenced in any of the available files such as the compiles.sqf.
I did pm waspnest and ask that he post his solution here.
Possibly what did happen ... his posts suggest he is new to server admins .. he spawned in some vehicles that are not listed in his vehicles table and assumed they were banned ones he managed to unban.
hopefully he can prove me wrong...

I miss the lapua so much :(

M107/ AS50 etc appear to be using a different classname to the usual dayz variant on the 1.8 servers that have them enabled (since you can't use backpack with it). Maybe dayzmod just didnt ban all the classes and only the _DZ ones? I also heard they all still draw those giant green boxes around people when you scope in so seems pretty pointless to me to enable them anyway.

edit: Incidentally I once noticed that running CBA serverside would enable a bunch of banned classes and still allow clients not running the mod to join...

i would really like to see somthing like this for dayz.st servers im missing all the fun 50 cals and scars

Then cba must be updating the base classes after dayz does...that makes sense. But if the player doest have cba running rhen his game will still have the items banned.

I tried on my server where I unbanned everything and added in some addons. Then set the server to NOT check signatures. Now everyone can join. The idea was to let new players try the server and then entice them to download the modfiles from my website. The result was that even though everything was unbanned on the server it was still unavailavle to players who were using default dayz files. I would assume cba would act the same. If a player did not have it installed while the server did ... items would still be banned client side.

So if you could get players to install cba then they could play on the server . That might be easier than dowloading a custom mod.

IMHO the best solution is to run two servers. One with dayz1803 banned items and one with a custom mod. When a player becomes a regular on your normal server they will be more willimg to download and install the mod and switch to playing on your 'improved' server.

i would really like to see somthing like this for dayz.st servers im missing all the fun 50 cals and scars
Just to clarify. It doesnt matter what server host you use, its dayz itself.

Btw. I am going live tonight with my wastland server which has all this stuff. I added in cannibalistic desert dwellers instead of zombies. Most dayz servers seem to be focused on missions and gear and less on starvatuon and salvaging anyways.... might as well play wasteland and drive a tank while toting your as50 ;)

Haven't got the time to finish everything up and put everything on here, been busy with work and such, however I can say that it does indeed work and update the banned classes. It uses a server side addon (client doesn't need it/would make no impact if the client did or didn't have it) and some extensions, similar to the way Arma2NET and Arma 3's "Altis Life" works. Will get back on this as soon as possible.

BTW, @ShootingBlanks, I don't appreciate the thread hijack >.<

Also, just wanted to note, this will not work on servers running GNU/Linux, based on the way it works. Sorry >.>

Last edited:
Haven't got the time to finish everything up and put everything on here, been busy with work and such, however I can say that it does indeed work and update the banned classes. It uses a server side addon (client doesn't need it/would make no impact if the client did or didn't have it) and some extensions, similar to the way Arma2NET and Arma 3's "Altis Life" works. Will get back on this as soon as possible.

Also, just wanted to note, this will not work on servers running GNU/Linux, based on the way it works. Sorry >.>

That's awesome, can't wait to see how you managed to do this :)

@Xyberviri explained it very well why trying to update the classes after dayz has loaded won't work.
dayz will overwrite any changes you make to classes when it inits the mission, the reason being is that the classes are set to write protected which means you can't change them using code in missions.

The other issue is that unless you specifically readd all the "code" that makes a vehicle work is missing when you see:
Code:
class CfgVehicles {
class All;
class Banned: All
{
stopThis = true;
};
class Ins_Soldier_2: Banned {};
This means that if you tried to spawn a "Ins_Soldier_2" the createvehicle is going to crap out because there is no data that the engine about this unit, by parent class it lost all the "man" code that makes it work. this "{}" literally deletes all the code that makes this unit.

you still need a mod like rmod to unban vehicles because dayz deletes the data from memory after it loads, there are work arounds however its easier to just mod them back in.

LOL
I wouldn't say that I hijacked your thread since you posted that you solved something that nobody has been able to ever accomplish and then left people hanging for 3 weeks for the solution.. I would instead say that I was trying to prod you into a response we are all eager to hear.
Whatever method you use, they are still banned client-side. I unbanned everything server side, allowed standard dayz players to join and they could not be injured by, use or see any weapon or vehicle that was unbanned server-side but still banned client-side. Any method you use (without the client downloading modded files) will result in this (IMHO and the opinion of everyone who has tried this).
So please do tell everyone HOW you did it instead of just posting nebulous hints.
Personally, I am tossing the bullshit flag on this one. Prove me wrong .. PLEASE!
And by saying that you cant use the Linux server means you are using callEXT to call a dll (unavailable in linux arma2oaserver) ... so your using third party code of some type .. which again, is server side only.

XD Correct, it runs server side (like I previously said), and it uses application extensions, and if you would read this:
This means that if you tried to spawn a "Ins_Soldier_2" the createvehicle is going to crap out because there is no data that the engine about this unit, by parent class it lost all the "man" code that makes it work. this "{}" literally deletes all the code that makes this unit.
you would realize that all you need to do is tell the client to reload the data for the items you want into memory. It's not ready yet, and like I said, I've been busy with work and haven't had the time to work on finishing it. I don't even own any dayz servers anymore, I've moved to A3, and am doing this as a favor to the people who want it because people can't seem to get off their high horses and help others.

Well I read those posts most of the way through and have to say that this is way beyond me. I understand your premise of hacking the memory after dayz is loaded to re-add the banned items. Again though, if this can't be done via the mission file, you are expecting players to do this on their own. I expect they would have to do this every time the mission loads after a death?

Anxiously awaiting the details ... I can guarantee you will get the Dayz Modder of the Year Award for a working fix that requires no interaction from the client (if they client was willing to do anything, they would be willing to download rmod etc).
And if you take a week off of work to get a working instructional, I am sure enough thankful people here would donate to cover your salary ..

BTW, you have posted here 3 times today. You could have used that time to just give us some details of how this is being accomplished so it could be verified as plausible. Until that moment, I am sure you will understand my skepticism.

...read the callExtension wiki page...
Anything you can do to the computer (without invoking a UAC prompt, the yellow/blue shield) the dll can do.
If you've ever heard of a memory editor, I can't see how it's hard to figure out exactly what I'm doing here.

Again though, if this can't be done via the mission file, you are expecting players to do this on their own.
Done automatically by the plugin

I expect they would have to do this every time the mission loads after a death?
Simply put: No. In one of the very first versions, I had something like that happen, but I quickly rectified that.

Anxiously awaiting the details ... I can guarantee you will get the Dayz Modder of the Year Award for a working fix that requires no interaction from the client
Wouldn't that be nice XD. However, there are people with far more talent than I who deserve it more.

And if you take a week off of work to get a working instructional, I am sure enough thankful people here would donate to cover your salary
I don't exactly work in a place where you can take a week off of work and expect not to be fired >.< I'll be able to finish it soon and then write a book on how it works.

BTW, you have posted here 3 times today.
Once, other than this. >.<

Another thing that I have to add, I have to make safeguards for the exact reason as stated above:
Anything you can do to the computer (without invoking a UAC prompt, the yellow/blue shield) the dll can do.
Wouldn't want some idiot to change this into a keystealer or some other bit of malware...

I am going to amend my position on this to ...
PLAUSIBLE
I **think** what is going on is that he has downloaded a hacker script http://www.mpgh.net/forum/member.php?u=2405817 and is integrating that into the mission to be used in a controlled manner. Everyone has read the post "Hackers can spawn in weapons/vehicles that I can't", and that is the premise being used here IMHO. Not a bad idea, each client will include a hacker script and to overwrite the dayz banned items in memory .. or something like that...

-snip-

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back