Improving connection/login speed (wait for host progress bar)

justchil

Greetings folks!

I'm running a Vanilla DayZ server with several mods. I know most people won't share secrets as they want to keep that to themselves... but maybe someone can help me out here.

I'm running on a dedi with a E3-1720v3 3.5/3.9 turbo, ssd, 32gb mem. I only have this single DayZ server at this time. I have OW setup and I don't see this problem with it when I run the server.

My problem is more often than not when you connect to the server it takes a while for the "wait for host" progress bar to complete and getting in the lobby. I get a lot of complaints about this... it doesn't happen all the time for me... sometimes it's super fast when the server is low pop and when it's full.

Anyone have any tips on improving this or where I might look? My server FPS stays around 6-8 and is never lower than 5. If I can provide further information I'd be happy to.

I've messed with basic.cfg until I'm blue in the face. The settings I have no cause 0 - just a few network pending. I've ready everything out there and tried a variety of settings.

MinBandwidth=2097152;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=512;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=1000000;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;

That's what I'm running with 1gbps uplink (pretend it's 100mbit lol)

I run the same config on OW and it never happens. It can happen with one player or 64 players... one hour it's fine the next minute it happens. Seems like there should be some other factor at player like BE / code that can be optimized in the mission/server etc.

Last edited:
This is what I'm going to try now... even though I've literally weeks of testing basic.cfg settings... Sever runs like butter my only issue is sometimes it's slow to get to lobby D:

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
MaxCustomFileSize=1000000;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;

Hmmm. My mission is like 600kB... it's really not the starting up it's once the server is running and you connect. I've been playing with basic.cfg a little bit more... problem is I need to run like a full 12hrs or so and review logs and such. So far after some minor tweaks I haven't seen the issue yet.

I may need to look at MySQL my.ini a bit. I have EVERYTHING but the OS running off a SSD. I recently converted my tables to MyISAM and everything was lightning fast for a bit. I was getting slow imports/exports with InnoDB.

I've offered several well known people in the community $ for real help with this with no response. I know what you mean with GITs and several others... it's like they have it figured out. I block Gametracker stats so I'm not a ranked server or in direct competition with anyone... but nobody is willing to share secrets as I guess they're afraid it might hurt their profit margin or something.

It sucks I have the hardware,connection,etc. Just missing a little knowledge in putting it altogether. I will keep messing around with things you've mentioned... I appreciate it :D

238 network message pending in 3hrs with staying full 60-64 players. Debug fps is 6-9 depending on when cleanup scripts run. Everything runs great except what I mentioned... and right now it's fine too lol.

Failed to mention I switched from extreads 7 to 1 after reading some of the stuff either you posted or a buddy sent me. Not really seeing much difference other than a little less CPU usage.

I'm running/testing:

MinBandwidth=2097152;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;

I've tried 512-768 on maxsend with no noticeable results. What do you recommend?

I'm running/testing:

MinBandwidth=2097152;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;

I've tried 512-768 on maxsend with no noticeable results. What do you recommend?

128 is the default for MaxMsgSend I've always used that setting or lower (96) I tried higher settings for it before and had bad results from it. Good luck!

Haven't noticed the problem tonight keeping the settings I last posted. at most 15-20 seconds before BE verifies and you're in the lobby.

Pending network msg's on the last 5 reboots (45-64 players) 112,291,188,394,74(only 2 out of 3hrs).

My only changes so far:

MaxSizeNonguaranteed from 512 -> 256
MaxBandwidth from 104857600 -> 1073741824;

Bandwidth use is 8-10mbit with these settings. Debug FPS never goes below 7fps.

If I cut min bandwidth in half I get a lot of pending errors and reports of dsync quite often. I will do more testing with reducing MaxMsgSend by itself and with lowering MinBandwidth to see what kind of results I get after I check out some MySQL settings. I have had higher settings on both of these for a while and it seems like I had a reason for it but I really didn't document improvement like I am doing now. I have a crapton of vehicles and high pvp though.

I'm sticking with my first assumption and that is BattlEye.

I've noticed when it starts now that I'll get "update failed" or "lost connection". It's the servers and or clients BE connection that seems to slow it down. No basic.cfg settings have changed this.

I've run 70 players all weekend lag free with my settings. Only a couple times did the wait for host happen and it just took 30-60 seconds to authenticate to BE then bam people are in the lobby.

I have tried BEC floodcontrol but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Back