Question about Gear/Vehicle Choices for the mod

Deathcall

Hello there!

I downloaded the mod yesterday and tried it out on one of the few servers available. I must say I like the additions to the land mass of the archipelago a lot and that the zombies are much harder to kill... I'm kind of in the middle about the aliens, I like the "patient zero" type of zombie, but the skin seems a bit off... I mean... it's not major, but truly a different skinned zombie would be much less controversial...

The loading screen is kinda weird for a zombie game as well...

In any case, I went into the editor to see what works and what doesn't and found some unpleasant (for me) surprises...

First I saw that none of the armored/weaponized land vehicles can be brought in. This goes from the M1A1 to the PK Truck...

Also, I spawned every weapon crate available and realized that most of the "non-core" weapons don't work either.

I know you guys know what you are doing, and you probably don't care much about those things, but as an admin on one of the most popular DayZ Lingor servers still around, I can tell you that going the way of vanilla DayZ affects the player base greatly...

If I learned something on the months our community has hosted a DayZ Lingor Server it's that the more you offer to your player base the more it tends to stick around.

We've just redone the entire loot tables on our own server adding new variations of weapons (MK16 & 17 weapon types plus new types of AKs not normally available in Lingor, L85 Series, mines, more rocket launchers, etc) and let me assure you that our player base is extremely content with the changes.

The same goes for the vehicles. We've added the M2 Humvee (CROWS) and the TOW Humvee, the PK Truck, along with the BTR (HQ) and the LAV (HQ) to the vehicle spawn rotations and it gives players something to look for on the server.

What I'm getting to here is... Why do you ban these things from the mod? Why not just let the server admins decide what they want in the server and what not? I understand that allowing those vehicles to be in also allows the hackers to use them, but frankly, one way or another, hackers will wreck the server. Be it by dropping cows from the sky or by spawning in a tank and running over people it doesn't really matter.

This is a controversy that has been around since DayZ came out... Everyone complains about Dean Hall not allowing admins to do what they want with their servers.

There's some design choices which simply do not make sense. Why would you allow weaponized helicopters but no RHIBs? Yes! RHIBS! Oh my god how I want RHIBs in Lingor, it just doesn't make any goddamn sense that an island country doesn't have RHIBs in their vehicle pool... you added in the CRCC, why not RHIBs?

For that matter, if you are going to allow non-civilian helicopters with 240s and PKTs, any land based vehicle with the same kind of weaponry should be allowed in... but in any case, that's not the matter. The matter is that banning vehicles is the wrong way to go! Allow EVERYTHING then let server owners decide what they want!

We have been stuck with an outdated version of Lingor for MONTHS, frankly, if the community project hadn't come along and unbanned some of the vehicles and weapons, I think the map would be pretty much dead...

Bottom line, my community was eager to learn about this mod, we were already pestering our hoster about it so we could do the switch! However, we are not sure our player base will want to "downgrade" from the current vehicle and weapon scheme we have just so they can visit a few more square kilometers of land mass and have more trouble dealing with zombies...

So well, that's that... Hope you guys take it into consideration.

Despite everything previously said, I do believe you've done a great job with the mod, at least from what little I've seen.

Bug Report:
1) Siphon vehicle doesn't work in the map I've played. Gives error message saying survivor doesn't have enough fuel.
2) CESNAs seem to have a problem at spawn in, making them bounce around like crazy... again, this might just only be the server I played.

TL;DR: Please don't ban vehicles or weapons, just let us have everything and choose what we want in the server. + 2 bug reports.

PD: Why are all the bandit skins german soldiers? I mean... it's... you know... I'm sure it ain't easy to do re-skins like Origins did... but still...

PD2: I can't seem to spawn in the new helicopters on the editor.

Hey,
thanks for the long feedback. I saw your server in the past and it is a pretty nice server.

The loading screen is kinda weird for a zombie game as well...
Hum, if you can make a better one do it! :p

Bug Report:
1) Siphon vehicle doesn't work in the map I've played. Gives error message saying survivor doesn't have enough fuel.
Yeah, i has fix this already for the next patch. :)

Bug Report:
2) CESNAs seem to have a problem at spawn in, making them bounce around like crazy... again, this might just only be the server I played.
Also fixed in the next build.

TL;DR: Please don't ban vehicles or weapons, just let us have everything and choose what we want in the server. + 2 bug reports.
The problem is Hacker can spawn each weapon, vehicle, bombs etc. if i not ban this but i could make a option for Serveradmins via the mission to unban vehicles, this is not a big deal.

PD: Why are all the bandit skins german soldiers? I mean... it's... you know... I'm sure it ain't easy to do re-skins like Origins did... but still...
Yeah i'll add much more skins but I'm busy with other things (like DayZ Mod and Unleashed) and i think i hasnt have the skill to redesign this.

PD2: I can't seem to spawn in the new helicopters on the editor.
Also fixed in the next build and i also fix the GPS/Ingame Mappos.

If you want to switch over to my version with you server please add me in Skype: Skaronator. I'll can do something special if you want.. :)

~Skaro

We are being hosted by DayZ.st, so even if I wanted, we'll have to wait for them to enable the new mod in their control panel.

I appreciate the offer though, kinda wish we were smart enough (and funded enough) to host ourselves.

On a secondary note, maybe a bit unrelated to this thread (but since I started it I guess that's okay), is there any chance you guys can integrate a secondary mod into yours?

You see, one of the things players like about our server is that we've got some very detailed custom bases around the map, but the problem is that variation is difficult when most of the buildings are not available (even with mods that unlock the core ones).

I found this mod in ArmaHolic. It unlocks pretty much everything (even roads and rail-tracks). The problem is that it requires everyone to have it in order for it to work. If you could make it part of the download with the mod files, that would allow server hosters to customize their maps in a whole new level.

Don't know if this is something you can do, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

PD: In any case, unbanning some of the fixed defenses like the MG nests and stationary guns would be really nice. Combine a fixed MG with the logistics script from R3F and you've got yourself a new way to play the game.

Hey,
I'll can try to talk with DayZ.ST again. It shouldn't be a big deal to add my mod.
I also saw this mod i can add it with the next patch.

About the Ban thing. I don't want to unbann all Vehicles like A10 so I'm not sure what should all be unbanned. If you want you can download my current Bannconfig and add a simple // infront of the line to unban it. And send me the files later back.
Thanks

I'll check this when I get back home tonight.

As you can see, I'm sided with the guys who want everything available, then let admins sort out which vehicles they want to add to the DB and which don't. Granted, A10s are kind of a weird addition to a DayZ server, but who knows? Maybe for an event?

In any case, I'll dig into this files you linked later today and talk it out with the other admins in my server.

Is there no way to allow each server have their own list of banned items/vehicles? Or must it be done through the mod files?

Is there no way to allow each server have their own list of banned items/vehicles? Or must it be done through the mod files?

Nope the once way if serveradmins disable the signature check and edit the dayz_anim on his own but this is the worst way. I would like add a option to the mission "dayz_disable_bancfg = 1" to disabled the bancfg.

Alright, I'll see what I can figure out (which, to be honest, won't be much since I'm kind of a newb at scripting).

Thanks for all the responses, hopefully I can be of help to the mod in one way or another.

Hey Skaro!

I got home and started working on those CFGs you sent.

I grabbed the CFGVehicles file and gave my collaborator the CFGWeapons. We'll get you some solid results soon.

For now, the most I managed to do tonight was re-arrange the entire CFGVehicles file to make it easier to understand to the untrained eye. I also wrote some comments on some items and commented in the offensive or otherwise special capabilities of most of the vehicles which weren't obvious.

You can check my progress here.

I'll see if I can get you a list of what we'd like to see in by tomorrow, since I didn't have the chance to talk with most of my crew yet.

Oh!

Almost forgot!

What are the chances of getting the mod that allows players to fire from the railing seats on the MH6J LittleBird onto your mod? 'cause my players have been aching for that since they heard they can do it in Origins!

What are the chances of getting the mod that allows players to fire from the railing seats on the MH6J LittleBird onto your mod? 'cause my players have been aching for that since they heard they can do it in Origins!

Yeah i has asking me the same in the past and i has saw a script which can do that. I'll can check this later.

Alright, here's the file again with the things we'd like to see unbanned.

Regarding skins, I marked some which I believe fit the Lingor environment, I know they might not all be fully functional, probably aren't, but if you can explain to me how to fix that, I could do the work for you.

Great work on that vehicle banlist!
I agree with about 98% of it, but I have a minor gripe:
Personally, I would leave anything with a caliber higher than 7.62mm banned. In my opinion it's not fun to rape someone with a vehicle mounted with a heavier weapon than that, and being the receiving end is even less fun.

Well, this is how we at THG reason it:

A man on foot with a .50cal LMG (which are common place nowadays in DayZ) is more dangerous than a man on an unarmored vehicle with the same type of weapon.

To put it simply, unless you are in an armored vehicle, manning a gun usually puts you in a precarious position, most likely exposed and dependant on the driving skills of your partners (or your own) and the terrain conditions. Vehicles are just bigger targets and usually just being in one has a kind of aura that forces everyone that sees you to shoot, so it's a good gamble.

In any case, a 7.62mm bullet might not be a one-shot kill but it's still as dangerous as .50cal (12.7mm) weapon when it comes to facing vehicles with said type of mounted weapons. When the bigger cal weapons come into place is in vehicle vs vehicle combat, which isn't common in most DayZ servers unless the server owners have put special focus on the warfare aspect of survival (like we have done).

Lingor Island is particularly good for this because of the big roads and tight urban locations.

When we first included the BTR90 HQ and the LAV25 HQ vehicles in our server we had some people complain about how OP they were, but the truth is they are wheeled APCs with PKTs and M240 weapons. They are tough, but can be disabled by precise shooting to the vehicle's suspensions. The bigger danger they pose is running you over, which is usually what most people do since manning the machine guns leaves the gunner extremely exposed.

We further simplified the problem by adding vehicles with mounted AT weapons, thus creating a balancing effect, and in order to prevent hoarding of all the high-value vehicles, we included more AT shoulder mounted weapons into the rotations, as well as mines and high caliber sniper rifles to our chopper crash sites (which are set to spawn only once per hour).

As you see, with careful balancing and experimentation, it is easy to archieve a good balance.

Bottom line, people claim that DayZ is too easy, but when you throw in aspects to make gameplay harder, go back in their words and say it's too hard. If you find yourself in the middle of a road with an APC coming at you, then you weren't paying enough attention. If you are aware these vehicles exist in the server, you take precautions in order to avoid them (move from building to building, avoid open areas, travel through forests and overall remain hidden). This is the exact same way you'd behave if you knew there's snipers in an a particular area, and in many ways, a sniper is usually harder to deal with if he catches you off-guard, which is as true as it is for an APC or a weaponized vehicle.

And remember, these are not vehicles we'll be spawning in great numbers. Our server (50 pop cap) is limited to only 2 APCs at any time, and there's similar restrictions to other weaponized vehicles. The idea is to make them rare, but acquirable, giving players something to look for to once they acquire their wanted weapons and equipment.

Greetings,

I am Sten. I work with Deathcall on the same Lingor server. He has tasked me with sorting out the CfgWeapons.hpp file.

In 30 minutes, after I go get some beer and food, I will post my progress, and what I feel should be included.

: )

Before I get too far ahead of myself, I must congratulate you on the new mod. It looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to playing on it more.

Lingor is by far my most favorite map, so it pleases me to see that you fine folks are still working hard on improving it.

I only hope that we can figure something out here regarding the ban lists. A lot of what is banned would cause tears to be shed by the overwhelming majority of our players.

Ultimately, I would love to see everything unbanned. A lot of what is banned, would be considered popular features to our server.

The ability to customize and leave room for development is paramount.

I could name a weapon that is banned on our server, but in no way, shape, or form would I ever want that to dictate what is banned on someone else's server. Especially if their player base, or admin/dev team created a use for said weapon.

Again, cheers on the map. Loving it.

We are still missing the magazine and ammo configs... And the markers... but frankly I don't see a reason why the markers would be banned at all.

In any case, we'd like to hear what Skaro thinks about these modified version before continuing, since redoing the ammo and magazines would be pointless if the weapons and vehicles changes we propose don't go through.

A man on foot with a .50cal LMG (which are common place nowadays in DayZ) is more dangerous than a man on an unarmored vehicle with the same type of weapon.
Educate me please! Which ones?
Besides that, you yourself describe how your server has a very complicated system of balance with lots of heavy weaponry. I wouldn't want to play DayZ on such a server; I'll play Wasteland when I want such an experience. To each his own.

That said, your server sounds cool, great work on setting things up like you did.

Back