2D and 3D editor Question

Angelykc

Just a simple question.. i already placed buildings down on my server through the Database (2D editor) ... I want to switch to 3D editor to make my life easier. My question is, If i port an edited map from 3D editor will it erase all my 2D placements or will it patch both together?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about using the mission editor. However, I did just want to let you know that you might be able to receive assistance from someone quicker if you post this in the Mission Editing section of the forum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you already have your buildings in the database, you should just be able to add more buildings. I guess it really depends on how the server is hosted.
I use DayZ Control Center and we have a tool that allows us to simply import our mission.sqf generated by the 3D editor right through the web panel. This scrapes the .sqf for objects and pulls the appropriate building name and coordinates then simply adds them to our building table and the instance_buildings table in the database. This may vary depending on the host and if you are using Bliss or the new Reality DB structure.

On the other hand I do have experience using both the 3D and 2D editor. There are a few things to keep in mind. Primarily how you would like the objects loaded into the game.

1. You can simply place objects into the dayz mission.sqm using the 2d editor and save the changes directly to your mission.

2. If your database supports buildings then you can add the coordinates and appropriate data that way.

3. If you use the 3D editor, which allows you to see the angle and orientation of the buildings in... well 3D. You can then convert that saved mission.sqf and mission.beidi file into a 2D .sqm file that can be merged with your current mission in the 2D editor. There are a bunch of sqf to sqm converters out there. There is even a thread here. http://opendayz.net/threads/converters-biedi-sqf-to-sqm.7405/.

Anyway to answer your questions, you say that you have " already placed buildings down on my server through the Database (2D editor)" . From my knowledge adding objects to the mission.sqm via the 2D editor does not add them to the Database, unless you have something that will convert the objects position back to one that is DB friendly and then insert that data into the correct table. The 2D editor does not contain a vertical axis postion unless specified using the setpos command on the objects init feild.

TL/DNR - If you use the 3D editor you will need to convert the generated mission.sqf file into mission.sqm which is compatible with the 2D editor. You can then safely merge the two 2D files in the 2D editor.

Back