a plea for whitelisted servers

entspeak

Because hacking is especially rampant in 2017 - I just got killed with a silenced gun by a seemingly invisible player not long after a message showed up about some dwarden setdamage something or other message appeared on the screen on the ausdayz server - can admins please whitelist their 2017 servers? Is it that it costs extra? Is it difficult to do? It seems I can only play on servers for a short time because hackers are just having a field day and it's getting ridiculous. The only whitelisted server I've seen isn't truly 2017, but 2017 with soda, beans, and non 2017 vehicles that auto-fix. I know that whitelisting is no guarantee that a hacker won't screw up the game, but it certainly lessens it a bit.

We (ausdayz server) have been thinking of whitelisting, will probably do it soon but the problem is that you immediately kill server population.
We have had a few DB problems resulting in a few wipes, but I believe we have overcome those problems now and server should have very little downloads and no further wipes (fingers crossed).
Logs are being checked hourly and the banlist is growing very quickly, hopefully we will weed out most of the 2017 hackers soon.

I am aware of this too, I did think of whitelisting mine, but the problem is there will not be enough servers that will be open to people wanting to try out the mod.

I know some guys over at the 2017 reddit server are whitelisting, I can certainly update this thead when they are online.

Also FYI...I am now stopping development on new features and focusing on releasing a security centric build.

The thing is with script kiddies (they're not hackers), they tend to have deep seated inferiority complex, they want to feel special and a sure way of doing so is by gaining a false sense of superiority over others. As 2017 is so hard, for them its more of a target. I used to get angry at these sad individuals, but now I tend to pity them instead.

I need to update it to the latest build but we have a very robust whitelisting system. I'm happy to support a whitelisted 2017 server as long as we get the players to play on it :)

I can have it updated and the whitelist online by the weekend.

Which sever release are you using nashable?

Bliss has a lot of issues, they have had a broken gender selection for almost a month now.

On a seperate note, I will create a forum for people to advertise servers and how to apply for whitelising. I am also making a 2017 port of pyBEscanner which you can use should you need to.

I'm ok with white listing but I ask of one thing,please do not make them private servers.I have a life on one server and I can't ever log on due to it always being full.Seems like most 2017 servers have the
"not connected to hive" thingamjig.

I really wish there was a way to have a community whitelist that servers could subscribe to. This would solve the problem of lower populations. If the whitelisting process doesn't take forever, just make it that - if you want to play DayZ 2017 - you have to join this whitelist. That way, you get them at the start and it's not so much of a pain... it's something that they can do while the mod is downloading. Is this at all possible?

I really wish there was a way to have a community whitelist that servers could subscribe to. This would solve the problem of lower populations. If the whitelisting process doesn't take forever, just make it that - if you want to play DayZ 2017 - you have to join this whitelist. That way, you get them at the start and it's not so much of a pain... it's something that they can do while the mod is downloading. Is this at all possible?

The only issue with a community wide whitelist (while a great idea) is that it's too centralized NOT to make it a target for hackers. Then you have a central authority having to work with all the server admins to determine why someone should be removed from the list.

Which sever release are you using nashable?

Bliss has a lot of issues, they have had a broken gender selection for almost a month now.

On a seperate note, I will create a forum for people to advertise servers and how to apply for whitelising. I am also making a 2017 port of pyBEscanner which you can use should you need to.

I assume the recommended version is Stapo's one? Previously I've tended to use Bliss across all my platforms but our 2017 server has been low pop for awhile so I'm happy to reboot it to help support the mod better.

Also I know this is a 2017 topic but if any of the mod creators out there want server support for their mods I'm more than happy to provide that.

The only issue with a community wide whitelist (while a great idea) is that it's too centralized NOT to make it a target for hackers. Then you have a central authority having to work with all the server admins to determine why someone should be removed from the list.
There is a centralized global ban list for DayZ, a community ban list and, not that I would be privy to this if it did happen, I haven't heard of those being hacked. But, I see your point about determining when a ban should occur. Is it possible to have a community whitelist and individual ban lists for servers - a server handled list of exceptions to the whitelist, if you will. The point would be that GUID's would have to be provided to play the game. While this would still allow a script kiddie or hacker to go to another server, they wouldn't be able to go back to the same server without a new cd-key and going through the forum registration process which would usually involve creating a whole new email address for activation of the forum registration... all making it less easy for hackers to get back in to have their fun... and when that happens, the vast majority would tend to go away.

And, maybe, admins would be able to share their exception lists with other admins in the community to provide a second witness of sorts. "Did this player hack on your server?" "Yeah, this is what we saw in the logs, we banned him." "That's what I have, too... ban."

We will be launching a whitelist server soon, players can pre-register their GUID on our website via the whitelist option on the top menu. (http:// ausdayz. com/whitelist - minus the spaces)

I think perhaps, you should talk to the admins of the other two whitelisted servers, they have their process automated... I was playing within minutes of applying. One of them automatically updates the list every 15 minutes. I'd love to play on your server, but it's been 8 hours since I applied and I'm still not on the whitelist.

Sorry there was a bug in our whitelist process. It has been fixed now, you should be able to join the server now without any problems.
Also, while it's a pain to wait a bit to get on a server, being able to just go click a button and get almost straight onto the server sort of defeats the purpose of a whitelist in my opinion.

Well, it's not really just a click of the button. You still have to register and verify the registration. On one of those servers, I had to fill out a questionnaire. No whitelist will prevent a hacker from getting on your server. It only adds steps to make it less fun to continue... they have to give up their GUID, they have to (hopefully) have a working email account, and this means - when they get caught - they need a new key and they need to set up a new email address to register. That's extra work a script kiddie and hacker have to do that a legitimate player doesn't. It's only a quick process for legitimate players (and dedicated hackers with many more tricks up their sleeve - as opposed to script kiddies). But, whitelists only really work if everyone uses them. People get used to extra steps if they have to take them every time. If, however, there are servers that don't use them, people will flock to them because they can simply log on - and, then, of course, they complain about the hacking. 2017 wouldn't have a low population issue on whitelisted servers if all the servers used whitelists... people clearly want to play it.

But thanks for getting it sorted, I had fun playing on your server last night.

I think perhaps, you should talk to the admins of the other two whitelisted servers, they have their process automated... I was playing within minutes of applying. One of them automatically updates the list every 15 minutes. I'd love to play on your server, but it's been 8 hours since I applied and I'm still not on the whitelist.

Just want to argue something here (as I was one of the servers that approved you quickly) - Our process is *not* automated. Our staff are really just good at processing requests while they're online. The reason we do that is we're actually running background checks on all the people that apply as our whitelisting process is to *screen* players not just annoy them by having them fill out a form.

On a regular basis we actually reject players from our whitelist because either their answers to our process are not satisfactory or while we're running checks something suspicious turns up.

A purely automated process in my mind really offers nothing to the whitelisted community using it and I would argue would have a higher percentage of cheaters than ones that take the time to screen.

Just my two cents.

Back