add building scripts? sqf vs sqm

shadowhog

so i have a relative understanding about the arma mission folders mission.sqm description.ext init.sqf ect. my question is i painstakeingly went through the proccess of placeing buildings i want on a normal editor map. and saved the buildings so i could find them in my mission.sqm folders. i litterally took the script out under vehicals{ and copyed those building fies into my mission pbo for dayz on an epoch server. the server goes black screen. im trying to understand why i have checked the codes and everything is exactly the same as the original arma mission which loads them just fine. why did this not work it makes no seanse to me i copyed and pasted the scripts into other editor missions for arma and it worked why did this not work for a dayzmission ive. ive seen threads about this and people keep saying put them in an mission.sqf file....why not the sqm file where arma puts buildins in on the editor any explanation would be greatly appreciated. thank you.... notes* running a epoch server on dayz.st with a custom splash screen and a agn godmode trader script in case these may be affecting the buildins script

Not sure how to answer your question as Ive never used the mission.sqm method. Just put the SQF right into the root of the mission PBO and then call it in the init.sqf. Name the map whatever you want. For example lets call it Map. Call it at the bottom of the init.sqf like so
[] execVM "map.sqf";

first off im not sure if my file was bad or not because my dayz.st is down (even the default will not work). so really i may have done ok but i cant know till they fix their garbage

i see what your saying russ but thats kindof what im talking about, why make a folder like buildings.sqf or add to mission.sqf and make a command for the init.sqf if you could just place it in the sqm. folder i am hopeing it will decrease lag and load time but the true base of my question is. "what is the difference between something added into the sqm or an sqf folder.and what is the difference between the .sqm and .sqf" my second question is what is the advantages/disadvatages to useing either or?

there has been a long debate on which one is better or which one affects performance the most etc. In my opinion there really isn't much more of a difference. Calling them server side just means that someone playing on your server cant copy them for later. But if you don't care about that, which I certainly don't, then theres really no reason to make yourself extra work. Slap the SQF in the mission, call it in the init.sqf done, total time 5 seconds. Makes loading times a little longer, not much. Doesn't seem to make a difference on server lag either way.

I will also add, if your starting to add a lot of building scripts.
Keep an eye on the file size, personally I move mine to serverside to keep the mission.pbo size down.

honestly in my opinion I have joined servers with over 4000kb missions files with no problem. I have added tons and tons and tons of buildings and still under 2000kb. It honestly doesn't seem to matter.

so i found my answers everyone thank you for contributing dangerruss and kaysio, i just said to hell with it i know how an arma mission works and just litterally coped my entire vehicals class all 298 (i added whole new towns and bases) and slapped it strait in the sqm. seriously my opinion at only 1130kb my mission loads super fast and the fps is really good all i have extra is indestructable bases,custom sarge AI and godmode traders(by agn best ever). as welll the markers i wanted to add to show where the new buildings were i added to the existing markers,renamed the vehical number and changed the total number that worked no probs as well. i wish i knew a good video recorder EDITOR so i could make a youtube vid for people who want to add buildings the easyest way that i have found

Back