Adding Smoke to Care Packages

PwNgu1n

I've started a server for myself and a few friends (thanks pwnoz0r!) and have had some success following suggestions on these forums to add some cool stuff to the server, but there is one issue I haven't been able to solve yet. I have added care packages to my server, but they can be pretty tough to spot, especially from the air, so I wanted to try to add a smoke effect to the spawns similar to the choppercrash fire/smoke. However, I do not want the fire (because who wants burned supplies?) and I'd like to use the red or green smoke grenade-style smoke model if possible.

I understand it is possible to add these types of smoke to static objects using the editor, but I would like to add the effects to a dynamic spawn (care package) rather than a static item (building, etc) so I'm thinking some sort of scripting would be necessary? I tried copying the fire script from the choppercrash section thinking I could just find out how to invoke the smoke grenade smoke effect instead of the fire but it didn't seem to work at all. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could accomplish this? Sorry for being a programming/SQL noob :)

I need to add smoke to my crashed Mi8s and T72s. When I get around to doing that I will paste a quick How-To for you :)

I noticed that in the =BTC= Logistic scripting they added a smoke effect to objects dropped from aircraft, but I don't know enough about SQL or programming in general to be able to interpret how the function actually works. And of course I don't want to just copy it without permission.

EDIT1: I've been working with the snippet of script from =BTC= Logistic more and it works for placing a smoke grenade on the care package spawns, but only for the duration of time that a normal smoke shell has. Is there any way that I can set the script for the smoke to repeat permanently so the drops remain marked?
EDIT2: Fixed it. I'll paste the script here if anyone is interested.

I am actually really interested in this. I am pretty new to this server administration and I am also looking for a way to increase or decrease the frequency of the care package spawn. If you know where that is I could use it, if not I will find it and relay what I find here.

I actually had a catastrophic hard drive failure and lost my code, but the relevant section is taken from the =BTC= Logistic mod and is:

_smoke = "SmokeshellGreen" createVehicle position _Veh;
_smoke attachto [_veh,[0,0,0]];

which should be inserted into the helicrash or care package code near the end due to the workaround I have for getting the smoke to stay permanent. If you want the perma-smoke, I changed it as follows:

Code:
while {true} do
{
_smoke        = "SmokeshellGreen" createVehicle position _Veh;
_smoke attachto [_veh,[0,0,0]];
sleep 60;
};

Now I'll be honest, I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to SQL but that code added at the end of the section for helicrash and care package worked for me.

hello
your code helped me a lot
but i got this question for u
could it be possibe to use the smoke effect from the m203 smoke grenade and if so... how....

thx

This is great I was just telling my friend last night we need to add a green smoke to the care packages and here it is!

Where should I add the above?

Code:
private["_position","_veh","_num","_config","_itemType","_itemChance","_weights","_index","_iArray"];

waitUntil{!isNil "BIS_fnc_selectRandom"};
if (isDedicated) then {
    _position = [getMarkerPos "center",0,7000,10,0,2000,0] call BIS_fnc_findSafePos;

_randomvehicle = ["Misc_cargo_cont_net1","Misc_cargo_cont_net2","Misc_cargo_cont_net3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
    _vehicleloottype = ["Residential","Industrial","Military","Farm","Supermarket","Hospital"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_veh = createVehicle [_randomvehicle,_position, [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
    dayz_serverObjectMonitor set [count dayz_serverObjectMonitor,_veh];
    _veh setVariable ["ObjectID",1,true];

if (_randomvehicle == "Misc_cargo_cont_net1") then { _num = round(random 3) + 3; };
    if (_randomvehicle == "Misc_cargo_cont_net2") then { _num = round(random 6) + 4; };
    if (_randomvehicle == "Misc_cargo_cont_net3") then { _num = round(random 12) + 5; };

switch (_vehicleloottype) do {
        case "Military": {
            _itemType = [["M9", "weapon"], ["M16A2", "weapon"], ["M16A2GL", "weapon"], ["M9SD", "weapon"], ["AK_47_M", "weapon"], ["AK_74", "weapon"], ["M4A1_Aim", "weapon"], ["AKS_74_kobra", "weapon"], ["AKS_74_U", "weapon"], ["AK_47_M", "weapon"], ["M24", "weapon"], ["M1014", "weapon"], ["DMR", "weapon"], ["M4A1", "weapon"], ["M14_EP1", "weapon"], ["UZI_EP1", "weapon"], ["Remington870_lamp", "weapon"], ["glock17_EP1", "weapon"], ["MP5A5", "weapon"], ["MP5SD", "weapon"], ["M4A3_CCO_EP1", "weapon"], ["Binocular", "weapon"], ["ItemFlashlightRed", "military"], ["ItemKnife", "military"], ["ItemGPS", "weapon"], ["ItemMap", "military"], ["DZ_Assault_Pack_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_Patrol_Pack_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_Backpack_EP1", "object"], ["", "medical"], ["", "generic"], ["", "military"], ["ItemEtool", "weapon"], ["ItemSandbag", "magazine"]];
            _itemChance = [0.05, 0.05, 0.01, 0.02, 0.2, 0.15, 0.01, 0.08, 0.05, 0.05, 0.01, 0.1, 0.01, 0.02, 0.01, 0.05, 0.08, 0.1, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01, 0.06, 0.1, 0.1, 0.01, 0.05, 0.06, 0.04, 0.02, 0.1, 1.0, 2.5, 0.05, 0.02];
        };
        case "Residential": {
            _itemType = [["ItemSodaMdew", "magazine"], ["ItemWatch", "generic"], ["ItemCompass", "generic"], ["ItemMap", "weapon"], ["Makarov", "weapon"], ["Colt1911", "weapon"], ["ItemFlashlight", "generic"], ["ItemKnife", "generic"], ["ItemMatchbox", "generic"], ["", "generic"], ["LeeEnfield", "weapon"], ["revolver_EP1", "weapon"], ["CZ_VestPouch_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_CivilBackpack_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1", "object"], ["Winchester1866", "weapon"], ["WeaponHolder_ItemTent", "object"], ["", "military"], ["", "trash"], ["Crossbow", "weapon"], ["Binocular", "weapon"], ["PartWoodPile", "magazine"], ["Skin_Camo1_DZ", "magazine"], ["Skin_Sniper1_DZ", "magazine"], ["WeaponHolder_MeleeCrowbar", "object"], [MR43, "weapon"]];
            _itemChance = [0.01, 0.15, 0.05, 0.03, 0.13, 0.05, 0.03, 0.08, 0.06, 2, 0.06, 0.04, 0.01, 0.03, 0.03, 0.01, 0.01, 0.03, 0.5, 0.01, 0.06, 0.06, 0.01, 0.01, 0.08, 0.03];
        };
        case "Industrial": {
            _itemType = [["", "generic"], ["", "trash"], ["", "military"], ["WeaponHolder_PartGeneric", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_PartWheel", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_PartFueltank", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_PartEngine", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_PartGlass", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_PartVRotor", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_ItemJerrycan", "object"], ["WeaponHolder_ItemHatchet", "object"], ["ItemKnife", "military"], ["ItemToolbox", "weapon"], ["ItemWire", "magazine"], ["ItemTankTrap", "magazine"]];
            _itemChance = [0.18, 0.29, 0.04, 0.04, 0.05, 0.02, 0.01, 0.04, 0.01, 0.04, 0.11, 0.07, 0.02, 0.06, 0.04];   
        };
        case "HeliCrash": {
            _itemType = [[FN_FAL, "weapon"], ["bizon_silenced", "weapon"], [M14_EP1, "weapon"], [FN_FAL_ANPVS4, "weapon"], [M107_DZ, "weapon"], ["BAF_AS50_scoped", "weapon"], ["Mk_48_DZ", "weapon"], [M249_DZ, "weapon"], [BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS, "weapon"], [DMR, "weapon"], ["", "military"], ["", "medical"], ["MedBox0", "object"], ["NVGoggles", "weapon"], ["AmmoBoxSmall_556", "object"], ["AmmoBoxSmall_762", "object"], ["Skin_Camo1_DZ", "magazine"], ["Skin_Sniper1_DZ", "magazine"]];
            _itemChance = [0.02, 0.05, 0.05, 0.02, 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.05, 0.01, 0.1, 1, 0.5, 0.1, 0.01, 0.1, 0.1, 0.08, 0.05];
        };
        case "Farm": {
            itemType = [["WeaponHolder_ItemJerrycan", "object"], ["", "generic"], ["huntingrifle", "weapon"], ["LeeEnfield", "weapon"], ["Winchester1866", "weapon"], ["", "trash"], ["Crossbow", "weapon"], ["PartWoodPile", "magazine"], ["WeaponHolder_ItemHatchet", "object"], [MR43, "weapon"], ["TrapBear", "magazine"]];
            itemChance = [0.06, 0.28, 0.01, 0.04, 0.03, 0.22, 0.03, 0.11, 0.17, 0.06, 0.01];   
        };
        case "Supermarket": {   
            _itemType = [["ItemWatch", "generic"], ["ItemCompass", "generic"], ["ItemMap", "weapon"], ["Makarov", "weapon"], ["Colt1911", "weapon"], ["ItemFlashlight", "generic"], ["ItemKnife", "generic"], ["ItemMatchbox", "generic"], ["", "generic"], ["LeeEnfield", "weapon"], ["revolver_EP1", "weapon"], ["CZ_VestPouch_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_CivilBackpack_EP1", "object"], ["DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1", "object"], ["Winchester1866", "weapon"], ["WeaponHolder_ItemTent", "object"], ["", "food"], ["", "trash"], ["Crossbow", "weapon"], ["Binocular", "weapon"], ["PartWoodPile", "magazine"], [MR43, "weapon"]];
            _itemChance = [0.15, 0.01, 0.05, 0.02, 0.02, 0.05, 0.02, 0.05, 0.05, 0.01, 0.01, 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.01, 0.01, 0.3, 0.15, 0.01, 0.05, 0.02, 0.01];
        };
        case "Hospital": {
            _itemType = [["", "trash"], ["", "hospital"], ["MedBox0", "object"]];
            _itemChance = [0.2, 0.5, 0.5];
        };
    };

diag_log("CARE PACK: Spawning a " + str (_randomvehicle) + " at " + str(_position) + " with loot type " + str(_vehicleloottype) + " With total loot drops = " + str(_num));

waituntil {!isnil "fnc_buildWeightedArray"};

_weights = [];
    _weights = [_itemType,_itemChance] call fnc_buildWeightedArray;
    for "_x" from 1 to _num do {
        _index = _weights call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
        sleep 1;
        if (count _itemType > _index) then {
            _iArray = _itemType select _index;
            _iArray set [2,_position];
            _iArray set [3,10];
            _iArray call spawn_loot;
            _nearby = _position nearObjects ["WeaponHolder",20];