DayZ Community Server Package

Crosire

Not to rip off Nightmare, but I find it interesting how I had the exact same idea the exact same time :p

I had a discussion yesterday that went pretty bad. It made me think about the whole topic again and about how the DayZ community is currently splitten up in those who use Pwnoz0r, Bliss, Reality, Lite, CC, ...
That's not really effective at all, combining the work everybody did here, and it is awesome work for each of us, would be the ultimate goal.

I just started a chat with Stapo about the point of it. We both agreed about it.
So this is the idea we came up with:

A centralized GitHub account where repositories can be made and each of the developers here have access to to push commits. It may be good to have subpackages under the general name "DayZ Community Server Package" to fit different users, like one that is easy to install, one that is most powerful, etc. BUT everyone with the same general code behind to keep compatibility etc.

The important part behind the database structure is the HiveExt library you call from the SQF code. I'm currently trying my best to comment the code of rajkosto and ayan to make it easier to understand when you never had a look at it. I'm going to push that to the Github account too, so we can come up with a generalized database strcuture we all are fine with.

Having ONE package has one more benefit. Nobody needs to go around anymore trying to get as many people for his own package, everybody has done something awesome to it already.

The current process:
- Stapo set up the Github account already "http://www.github.com/DayZCommunity"
- I'm trying to get us devs up to a Skype conversation so we can have a chat about it
- HiveExt is getting more and more easier to read

So if you read this and haven't answered the Skype request yet, or you are not on Skype I would appreciate if you do that. Thanks in advantage, talk to you soon.

Cheers,
Crosire

Progress update:
- Github account creation finished, we are going to share all account details (including login details) with the ones that help, so nobody has to feel bad
- Repositories created, nothing pushed to them until we decide TOGETHER where to start!

this is a great idea i hope every one will go with it and work together More great minds on the same goal and idea == lighter work loads for you all along with more brains to think of new things @Crosire ill follow you any were mate love your work

Although I think this might be good in some ways, something I find for example is that Stapo's release is easy to set-up (more developer oriented maybe, you could say), and Reality is more for actual server owners. That's just my perspective on it.
Having different server packages is a good thing I think, though a centralized one where all of them come together would be something great too. I don't know, my opinion is devided on it.

Also, anyone wishing to join the project i advise that you add me on skype (xx_stapo19_xx) and i can talk to you and add you to the "DayZ Community Server Package Developer" skype group :)

Although I think this might be good in some ways, something I find for example is that Stapo's release is easy to set-up (more developer oriented maybe, you could say), and Reality is more for actual server owners. That's just my perspective on it.
Having different server packages is a good thing I think, though a centralized one where all of them come together would be something great too. I don't know, my opinion is devided on it.
The idea is to have one main server repository, where only the plain server is developed. And then to have one for the Hive Extension, one for an installer (for the non hosting people), one for external tools, etc.

The idea is to have one main server repository, where only the plain server is developed. And then to have one for the Hive Extension, one for an installer (for the non hosting people), one for external tools, etc.
You mean just the dayz_server.pbo and such?

You mean just the dayz_server.pbo and such?
I might be reading it wrong, but it seems to me they want to standardize on one hiveext.dll and DB structure, then the different devs can still have their custom installer setups. So we'll probably still see Reality Builder, Easy Server Installer, etc -- all built on a common server core. Personally, I think this is great news. The community of people developing tools for these servers is too small to be fragmented between different schemas - standardizing even just that will be wonderful for everyone.

I think it's an exellent idea :D
All the current packages at the minute have pro's and con's but imagine what could be done when you all work together.

Back