Thanks for all the info! It's much clearer now.
I have mixed feelings about Marting/King/GamersPlatoon.
It only became possible because of the rampant un-requested use of other peoples assets...
As far as I know similar things have happened before with Arma 2 stuff, the author DOES have rights.
I actually just got the license agreement from BI for the source Sahrani Files we've recvd... it says no commercial exploit without prior consent from BI...
I have the overwhelming feeling if you were to show them you were selling lots of copies of A2 for your mod or assets... they would have zero problem with you profiting or sending C&D's to other people... although I doubt they would back anyone up on a lawsuit or sue on behalf of anyone but DayZ/Dean Hall.
Even there I'm guessing if he said he wanted to stop the use of DayZ Code in A2, they would tell him no way... all the other mods bring in just as much if not more than his original work did.
With "Mods" like Breaking Point and Epoch outright charging a $10-20 premium just for their files which are almost entirely NOT theirs... I don't see whats wrong with GP pushing server hosts to give them a kick back...
Origins is creating a draw for server managers, and if they want to profit off their servers BECAUSE they can rent Origins, then Origins deservers something...
I have ZERO problem with Origins putting managed server hosts over a barrel... they are profiting, as are a lot of the larger communities that are so desperate to host it on their private servers... I don't see why it's OK they profit having done basically not a goddam thing for the mod, but when someone who spent 2+ years with a team making a map wants some kick back for it, thats outrageous.
These mods don't have to be open.. I really want to use Project RACS in Sahrani, but Wld427 says only as a full package, and I can't mod the charaacters to make zombie skins... so... got to make our own... the end.