DZAI Development on Indefinite Pause

Buttface

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know that DZAI development will be paused for now as it seems to be in its most bug-free state in a long time and I want to keep it that way. As I am a bit more busy now than before, it is best to keep development at a near-stop since I won't have that much time to debug things.

There is a 2.1.3 update planned but it's very minor stuff at the moment. One of the planned added features is something that was requested a long time ago but I denied it at the time, but I'm willing to give it a try this time around.

I do have some interest in adapting DZAI to Arma 3, but at this time I'm just doing mindless tinkering and there is no plan for an A3 port.

I snuck in an update on Github yesterday to fix an issue where the auto static spawn generator for unsupported maps wasn't working properly. To the guy who was running his server on Thirsk (sorry, forgot your name and can't find your thread), you will probably want to get this update.

About the video posted above, that is DZAI's auto-generator for unsupported maps in action. All I did was disable all DayZ-specific features and replace the default DayZ classnames with Arma 3 ones. DZAI's classname verification worked flawlessly at automatically stripping out all other DayZ classnames that I left in the config files.

Do you still have a copy of your DZAI updates for Arma 3? I am very interested in experimenting with it. If you want, I can help take the development effort further.

The files I used in the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8qz08rzrqlcncv/A3DZAI.zip?dl=0

Keep in mind a couple of things - It isn't really modified specifically for A3, as in I didn't do anything special like use new A3-only scripting commands. I simply stripped out/disabled DayZ-related code to make it generic and compatible with A3. It's built on 2.1.3 code and the changes to make it A3-compatible was a 1-day lazy rush job so don't expect much out of it.

This is cool! I want to use it with A3 Epoch Mod. I will experiment, but out of curiosity, is there a way for me to run DZAI in the mission only? A3 Epoch Mod locks down the server files as such that if you modify the server, you need to create a DLL somehow so they stay in sync. I have not had time to look through the server to see if the DLL generation is actually necessary, or if there is a workaround for that security checkpoint.

Yes, I read your disclaimer to not expect much, but this is really cool... I am not sure if you want to distribute this out there (armaholic.com or github.com?) or not, but the A3 community is looking for decent randomized A3 AI right now that isn't a pre-scripted mission. DZAI is my favorite AI for A2. Thank you for creating this!

It won't work with the current version of A3 Epoch because as it stands right now, Epoch contains code that deletes all serverside units and vehicles. The coding is locked down pretty tight right now so you will have to wait until the upcoming version before you can try using DZAI in Epoch.

If and when serverside units/vehicles are allowed, you can try to install DZAI by pasting the folder inside your server's Arma 3 directory and adding the usual "call compile..." line for DZAI in your mission init.sqf (you may need to create the file yourself). Just don't add a duplicate folder of DZAI inside your mission pbo, otherwise that will override the one in the A3 directory.

I am very serious about the "do not expect too much" line since it was a very sloppy edit I made to just see how DZAI would behave in an A3 environment. It's good for a few minutes of single-player fooling around in the mission editor but that's about it.

There's too much DayZ-related code left in it for my liking and nothing that supports A3-specific features such as uniforms and vest inventory. There also seems to be an issue where plane-type vehicles keep crashing after spawning. I'm not sure why this happens because it works fine in A2/DayZ mod.

If you check out my latest announcement post, I will definitely look into adapting DZAI for A3 Epoch when/if the developers change their code to allow server-side spawning of units and vehicles.

It is all good to this guy. I am a tinkering sort, and if I can find anything useful to help you along the way, I will send it along... Although by the sound of it, you are farther along in research that I am. If nothing else, I will get my few minutes of A3 DZAI fun in, too. :)

Butthead, I'm one the same page as moosemilker, but being a fairly proficient scripter I think that I can make some useful edits to this, and possibly pack it back up as a drop in. I've been working around the epoch developer's compileFinal's with success for a few weeks now, and my server has prospered for it. I'm currently working my butt off to bring some of the cool features back into A3 that we had in A2 epoch. Later when I have made some progress with this, I would like to talk to you about taking a look and making changes to what i've done for a release version.

I'll keep ya posted
-Helios

Butthead, I'm one the same page as moosemilker, but being a fairly proficient scripter I think that I can make some useful edits to this, and possibly pack it back up as a drop in. I've been working around the epoch developer's compileFinal's with success for a few weeks now, and my server has prospered for it. I'm currently working my butt off to bring some of the cool features back into A3 that we had in A2 epoch. Later when I have made some progress with this, I would like to talk to you about taking a look and making changes to what i've done for a release version.

I'll keep ya posted
-Helios

Thanks for your interest, but an A3 Epoch adaptation for DZAI is already in the works and its first release date is scheduled around the end of January. http://opendayz.net/threads/dzai-adaptation-for-arma-3-epoch-news-updates-information.21439/

Back