Ghosting error/no character id

Hi all,

I'm seeking some help from the DayZ mod community. I ran a server using our own custom mod, the mod closed down around 6 months ago now, we have been approached by another community and they have asked if they can use the mod. We have allowed them and are now setting it all up for them on there machine. So we have set it all up now and have gone to join the server, I am now seeing and error on the splash screen saying checking for ghosted player, I have checked the RPT and found nothing, I have also disabled this in the init.sqf as you can see below

//Gamesettings
dayz_antihack = 0; // DayZ Antihack / 1 = enabled // 0 = disabled
dayz_REsec = 1; // DayZ RE Security / 1 = enabled // 0 = disabled
dayz_enableGhosting = false; //Enable disable the ghosting system.
dayz_ghostTimer = 0; //Sets how long in seconds a player must be dissconnected before being able to login again.
dayz_spawnselection = 0; //Turn on spawn selection 0 = random only spawns, 1 = Spawn choice based on limits
dayz_DisplayGenderSelect = 0;
dayz_spawncarepkgs_clutterCutter = 2; //0 = loot hidden in grass, 1 = loot lifted and 2 = no grass
dayz_spawnCrashSite_clutterCutter = 2; // heli crash options 0 = loot hidden in grass, 1 = loot lifted and 2 = no grass
dayz_spawnInfectedSite_clutterCutter = 2; // infected base spawn... 0: loot hidden in grass, 1: loot lifted, 2: no grass
dayz_enableRules = false; //Enables a nice little news/rules feed on player login (make sure to keep the lists quick).
dayz_quickSwitch = false; //Turns on forced animation for weapon switch. (hotkeys 1,2,3) False = enable animations, True = disable animations
dayz_POIs = true;
setViewDistance 1200;
0 setFog 0;
dayz_ForcefullmoonNights = 0; // Forces night time to be full moon.

Now the mod is running an older version of DayZ (1.8.2) I want to know if there is any way round this on this build or if I have to merge the mod with 1.8.5 to get it to work, I have google the crap out of this error and found a few different fixes both client side and server side. Any help any one can give me would be massively helpful.

Thanks all.

-edit

So I have been doing some more digging and i'm finding all sorts of things that may be coursing this issue, firstly in the RPT file I have this
22:38:48 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character Tom Harris as no characterID"
So I have looked around and that's all telling me that the steam beta patch needs ports opening, which they are! I have checked the firewall and all incoming and outgoing ports for steam are open, I have also made sure that everything in the server.cfg is correct, (I think so anyway).

//ArmA2 OA : 1.63 SETTINGS

steamport = 8766;
steamqueryport = 27016;

I know that this is getting old etc but its really frustrating knowing that its all set up but these few little things are stopping the MOD.

Please can some one cast a light on this and help me out!

1.8.2,was supposed to have fixed the ghost error. try enabling it but set the timer to like 10 seconds. razor said you just have to wait to log back in.

the player sync error will occur for many reasons. is the database connecting ? enable logging in hiveext.ini and verify. are you using the correct dll files and db schema for this version?

post the rpt if you like

Hi thanks for your reply @ShootingBlanks, I have enabled the ghosted system now and given it a time of 1 but still it sits there on the splash screen saying checking for ghosted player.

Heres my RPT

20:49:27 "STARTING LOGIN: ["76561198085097808",B 1-1-A:1 (Tom Harris) REMOTE]"
20:49:27 "LOGIN ATTEMPT: "76561198085097808" Tom Harris"
20:49:27 "LOGIN LOADED: B 1-1-A:1 (Tom Harris) REMOTE Type: Survivor1_DZ"
20:49:27 "2, [], [], [0,0,0], true, DayZEnd 1.0, Survivor2_DZ, true, false"
20:49:27 "z\addons\dayz_server\compile\fn_bases.sqf: found 0 camps spots in 35 sec."
20:50:02 "get: STRING (REMOVED), sent: STRING (REMOVED)"
20:50:02 "Player UID#REMOVED CID#? PID#3(Tom Harris) as Survivor1_DZ, logged off at Wilderness [-187:-106]"
20:50:02 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character Tom Harris as no characterID"
20:50:02 Client: Remote object 2:10 not found
20:50:02 Client: Remote object 2:11 not found
20:50:02 Client: Remote object 2:12 not found

-EDIT

I have also checked the hive.Ext.ini and we have the logger info set up to information

[Logger]
;Possible values: trace, debug, information, notice, warning, error, critical, fatal, none
;They are sorted by importance (low to high), with trace being the most verbose, and none would turn off logging
;This controls both the file output level, and the console output level
;Level = information

;Uncomment this option to override the logging level for the console only
;The specified level can only be higher than the global one, setting lower values will have no effect
;So for example, if you want to have information-level logs in your file, but only warning-level and higher in your console
;You would uncomment this option and set it to warning
;Leaving it commented out means there's no special level for the console, so it will just use the global one
;ConsoleLevel = information

;By default, the HiveExt console log output will go to the Arma2 server window, with colour highlighing by importance
;If you want to use the old style, separate windows console window for the HiveExt log output, set this option to true
SeparateConsole = true

Last edited:
its setup for information but its disabled because of the semicolon at the beginning of the line.
;Level = information
change to this
Level = trace
and then see if the database is actually connecting and attempting to log in the player by checking hiveext.log.

(I think) ghosting just prevents players from disconnecting and logging back in immediately. And there is a log line that says LOGIN LOADED but it also says your a survivor1 and thats the unit type assigned before you have actually been authenticated in the database. But who knows, I just always check the database connection on new servers when there are login issues ...

I am just making some suggestions here. I just poked around quickly and this is the only part of the code that I saw concerning ghosting. I am not running Dayz mod, and have no first hand experience with this error. So take this advice with a grain of salt, make a backup, and give it a try.
I know there were a lot of problems with the ghosting system. You should be able to disable it completely by commenting out this block in dayz_server/compiles/server_onplayerdisconnect.sqf
NINjsCB.png

and then in server_playerlogin.sqf comment out line 76 where it ends the mission for the player if they fail the ghosting variables. Although since we have removed the code (above code) that adds players to the activeplayers and ghostplayers arrays, the below code should never execute (because dayz_activeplayers will be null).

AIAocPL.png

Thanks again for you help, I have removed the call for the ghosting system, I also changed the ;Level = information and changed it to Level = trace, the server is now stuck on wait for host! I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.

-EDIT the ghosting is still there and 23:08:41 Server error: Player without identity Tom Harris (id 754062768)!

Last edited:
-edit! its working took a bit of playing and there were a few other calls for the ghosting system! how ever I have removed them and now it all seems fine! in game running around!!!! @ShootingBlanks Thank you for your hard work!

Good to hear. dont forget to comment out the hiveext logging or reduce the output level because at Trace it will produce HUGE log files in no time at all.

Back