Hacking etc

The problem is hyperthreading technology, don't think AMD can compete with Intel. And Arma with it's millions scripts executing at the same time is just what the doctor ordered. What we observe is scripts queuing up, and the more the longer it runs while processor never goes above 30% and mem over 2 gig

I didn't think it mattered since the amount of cores + threads that Arma could use were limited.

I used to buy the higher clock speed the better theory but it's not how it worked out for us, obviously a cheaper E3 would have saved a shit stack of money over the E5, however I have never had any issue with Arma running cores/threads @ 2 to 2.8Ghz.

What the extra cores have allowed, is for multiple instances to be run (many more) and other stuff on the box for BF3 etc (we use vmware esxi) looking at the stats over the last few days only 15% of the CPU is being used 64GB of memory, Disk latency is 0ms and spikes to 1ms during backups, that's with around 85,000KBps usage and network sits at 3Mbps constantly.

We always run out of memory before we do CPU, disk used to be an issue but with SAS disks and raid 10 it hasn't been a problem for a while. Next server we buy in eight months time I will probably save money on the CPUs and go with lower end units as 85% of my investment sits there idle the majority of the time.

Same here. AMD quadcore on 3.4 GHZ. Processor never over 30% but the servers give's me alot of messages like this: 20:26:43 Server: Network message 367cb5e is pending
Also a good gigabit networkcard with his own little processor, and a full 100/100 Mbits connection that use only: 3,5 Mb per second max. ( Up and Down )
I know it's not the machine that's holding back. I had run 3 cod4 servers and some other game servers on it without a single problem and with zero lag.

Fingerscrossed on how the standalone servers will be. It's a bit rediculous what kind of machine you need for a single arma2oaserver. I mean. 30% on a quadcore ? For one f*** server that also lags xD

Well, we rent our server and just about cover the rent with donations. We simply cannot afford to commit into years long contract on more powerful and expensive machine with all what's going on with Arma at the moment and I mean hacking. I would have thought by now we banned every hacker but they still manage to come back with new cd keys. It is a full time job administering the server too, so basically unless you are a rich man with lots of free time and passion for Dayz, it aint gonna work.

PS Standalone? TROLOLOL I got invited to test it, cant be bothered. Not looking forward to it either. You gonna take your pants in front of Rocket and let him fuck you up the arse anyway he pleases with standalone? Not me.

I understand that completely. I'm glad my server is located in my special server room here at my home :D

Well, we rent our server and just about cover the rent with donations. We simply cannot afford to commit into years long contract on more powerful and expensive machine with all what's going on with Arma at the moment and I mean hacking. I would have thought by now we banned every hacker but they still manage to come back with new cd keys. It is a full time job administering the server too, so basically unless you are a rich man with lots of free time and passion for Dayz, it aint gonna work.

PS Standalone? TROLOLOL I got invited to test it, cant be bothered. Not looking forward to it either. You gonna take your pants in front of Rocket and let him fuck you up the arse anyway he pleases with standalone? Not me.

I started out covering the costs myself, donations now a long with some webhosting (friends businesses) covers the costs, we do co-location though which works out better for us and at the end of the day if DayZ came to an end it just means some free resources available on the box, the rest of the stuff would continue going on.

DayZ has consumed more of my time than any other game we host, it really does need to change as it's not sustainable.

In a way I think the standalone will be good to bring players back to one map, but yes on the other hand there's going to be a fair few things that will piss me off.

I understand that completely. I'm glad my server is located in my special server room here at my home :D

There's not many users out there that realise they are playing a game on someones home network that can come to a stop at any time due to their ISP terminating the service, or the fact it's generally run on desktop level hardware, i.e. single drive fails and their data goes bye bye.

While some might see nothing wrong with it I personally appreciate the time players put into playing on our server so I ensure that their data and the server itself is reliable as it can possibly be.

We've sustained 4Gbps DDoS attacks to our Arma server instances, this was purely from banning certain individuals who were caught hacking on our server, some of them were BE bans as well so not even a personal physically banning them. I would hate to see this or higher to my home internet connection, I doubt many ISPs would continue your service after that.

There's not many users out there that realise they are playing a game on someones home network that can come to a stop at any time due to their ISP terminating the service, or the fact it's generally run on desktop level hardware, i.e. single drive fails and their data goes bye bye.

While some might see nothing wrong with it I personally appreciate the time players put into playing on our server so I ensure that their data and the server itself is reliable as it can possibly be.

We've sustained 4Gbps DDoS attacks to our Arma server instances, this was purely from banning certain individuals who were caught hacking on our server, some of them were BE bans as well so not even a personal physically banning them. I would hate to see this or higher to my home internet connection, I doubt many ISPs would continue your service after that.

And who are you to judge my server hardware ? Maybe I do run RAID 1? And with a fiberconnection, a ISP won't knock on your door for 1.5 TB data a month. Atleast not for me.

I HAD a good vps. and guess what.... That one had more downtime then my server now.
I'm happy with the way I'm running the servers. The players are also very happy with it. :)

We used to cover the costs of running the server on our own between me and 2 other admins but now its completely ran off donations. We gained a load of donations this month and has allowed us to buy 1 year subscription to Vbulletin which should be good.

And KK, so jelly about the invite to test out the standalone. So i am assuming you won't be setting up a server for it? or even if its possible doing modifications to the game?

Ok i should read the agreements i make >.<

Yea rocket was a dick to start off with but i am sure there was something said about giving people free reign over their servers in standalone but i could be mistake.

The ability to host an offical server & they are making admin tools are confirmed...

But they haven't mentioned anything about private hives i.e seperate from the offical hive, or the ability to custom any server / client code....
Love to be proven wrong if anyone has a link ;)

Well I guess I read it in one of his comments. Wanted to search it, but the dayz forum is soooooo slow....

And who are you to judge my server hardware ? Maybe I do run RAID 1? And with a fiberconnection, a ISP won't knock on your door for 1.5 TB data a month. Atleast not for me.

I HAD a good vps. and guess what.... That one had more downtime then my server now.
I'm happy with the way I'm running the servers. The players are also very happy with it. :)

I am not judging your hardware at all, I am saying that home PC's used as "servers" shouldn't have a place in dayz, or should be marked appropriately within the launchers so that users know what they are connecting to.

Your ISP isn't concerned with 1.5TB, they write exclusions into their TOS/AUP for game servers because of DDoS attacks that they tend to attract, sending 4Gbps your way for a day or two will exceed your 1.5TB, in fact in an hour it would have sent 1.8TB your way and in a day over 43TB.

There's a long list of reasons I could give for not running a game server at home but if your users are aware of it and are happy using it then why not.

As for the VPS, every VPS you use for gaming is going to be shit, because they are all over subscribed (I used to own and run a webhosting company for 10 years) that's also why most places exclude gaming servers from their VPS offerings, because they actually do consume resources which means less customers per hardware node.

I had the same shit with vilayer. Operating out of AU is far too expensive, you'd need thousands of dollars a month in bandwidth just to run one dayz instance, so I purchased a vilayer instance when they first offered the service in AU.

It was down every day and I had to log roughly three to four jobs a day, they also commissioned other peoples instances to use the same ports as mine and they had no redundancy in the system so had several outages. It was down more than it was up so after two to three weeks I moved on and just ran our instances from our gear in the USA, which funnily enough stopped all the desync issues and outages.

I know for a fact that it runs better then most VPS hosting servers, because I used to have a VPS.
Also, you can get trouble with ISP yes. But not when you have 100/100 connection. Gameservers, mail servers and webservers are allowed from my ISP. They even ADVERTISE with it. ( Where do you need 100/100 for if you don't do this :D ) So your points are pointing to the early days maybe ?

Feel free to test the servers out anytime.

Don't know what's going on today but it's been hack fest 2013, banned over 20 people who came in just to destroy stuff.

Back