[HELP NEEDED!] Adding AI and buildings through the Editor (WITH RMOD)

MrRightclick

Hello, and sorry in advance for another one of these threads.

I think I've slammed into a wall with searching for this information, finding multiple threads, but with every thread saying "just use editor and put it on server then your ok :)))".

.. Well, yeah, there is more to the editor than just "using it".

Now I'm pulling my hair out because the dozens of threads have lead me nowhere.. :(

If I by some divine miracle (or with the help of a generous person) get this working, I'd be glad writing and posting a tutorial for all the upcoming DayZ server admins to get their answers from without making a new thread. I'd even be ready and glad to make this thread a dedicated spot for information on this.

So my situation is this: we've got a server running with vanilla Day Z for a while now, and we would like to add bandit AI and custom loot sites through new buildings. So simple stuff at least for some of you, huh?

What I have tried so far:
I've tried using the 3D editor, as some people suggested that.
They make it seem as simple as this: Just put in buildings and soldiers, save it as a 3D map, convert it to a 2D map using a converter, merge the 2D-mission with DayZ, and put it on the server. Thing is this starts popping up errors with the mission.sqm file on different lines. So it hasn't worked so far.

I've tried just using the singleplayer and even the multiplayer 2D map, adding units, merging it with the Day Z mission, putting the mission to the server. This leads to no playable units available in the server lobby. I've also tried adding the initialization code from the merged mission to the default mission on the server. This starts giving errors again, the error being something like "met 'I', where '=' was expected". Haven't found a fix yet.

My setup and situation:
  • I've got my server running on Pwnoz0r's files.
  • I've not edited anything on the server, just started it and we've been playing on it normally.
  • I am running RMOD on the server.
  • I've edited/created simple missions before with the singleplayer 2D editor.

My questions:

So, my questions are the following (I AM USING RMOD ON THE SERVER):
  1. Which editor (3D or multiplayer 2D) should I use when adding units/buildings into an empty map?
  2. What are the steps for putting in, let's say, one building, and an AI soldier with bandit behaviour (shoot survivors on sight, maybe even shoot zombies) next to the new building?
  3. .. if we get this far, how to make the AI patrol, say from point A to point B? (I know how 2D editor waypoints work, any use here?)

Thank you very much in advance. This is stressing me out way more than I thought it would be..
o_O

PS. If you have nothing else to say other than "use the search function", please don't post at all. After 3 days of searching through Google, Tunngle forums and these forums, I've yet to find a working solution.. At least post a link to a thread with help!
Thank you! :)

I've never tried to add AI, but I believe that most of it is removed by dayz, meaning that you'd need to go through the dayz files (specifically Dayz_Code & Dayz_Anim) and see what's actually gone.

I'm no expert on Rmod but I believe all he has done is added the models back into the game, not the AI configs. Check the config.cpp in rmod and see if there's AI lines in the cfgvehicles. Look for lines that that are like mindistance and stuff like that.

Dayz weapons, vehicles and characters don't have AI in them at all, so the character won't shoot or anything like that.

Thank you for the post.

I've been reading that some servers have taken special AI scripts from the single player version of DayZ, whatever that is?
Nobody confirmed this, though.

I think the basic SHOOT THAT GUY AI is still there, since I tried editing the mission in the 3D editor with DayZ and rMod enabled, put a center for both the EAST and WEST sides, then put myself in the WEST side as a USMC soldier, and put a Russian rifleman next to my character. Sure enough, the dude shot me as soon as he saw me, so the AI isn't gone at least on that part.

It's just the question of how to put it in the DayZ map file.. :oops:

AI isn't removed, that was a little retarded of me to say, but a lot of the configurations are gone. I'm assuming that shoot that guy stayed so zombies would chase after you.

If you can't drop a person in the mission and load it in, you'll most likely need a script. You can ask on the BI forums, just don't mention Dayz or you'll get a bitter "Dayz question belong at dayzmod.com" and your thread closed.

Thinking of what you are trying, make sure that you add a player unit first (just chuck a West, group 0, Bandit) on the map. Then start putting your AI dudes in, make sure the settings are correct when you place them (not player!) Make sure you delete the bandit when putting it into the mission. I've currently got a rouge opfor slot because I missed one >_<

Well, I wouldn't really need anything more complicated than just "move around, shoot player on sight", which I guess would be possible with what we have here.

How would I go adding the AI units? Using the 3D editor I guess, with the group 0 and all?
Would I create a whole new mission with the 3D editor, add stuff, convert it, then merge it with the Day Z mission in the multiplayer editor? (This is the part I'm not really getting yet.. :rolleyes:)

I'm gonna go on a limb here, since isn't this basically how buildings are added with (or maybe even without) rmod?

0. Start up 3D editor
1. Add a center, west group and a player unit (add buildings, if that's what you're going for)
2. Add a east center, east group and AI units
3. Save as a 3D mission
4. Convert to 2D mission
5. Merge with original Day Z mission in the multiplayer 2D editor
6. Export to multiplayer missions, (remove the player character from the mission.sqm), put mission on server
7. I guess profit?

I also guess that there is no way to define waypoints for AI in the 3D editor, this must be done with markers & the init field or through scripts?

Sorry for the pile of different questions, but I'd really like to learn how to do this.. :D

Back