Map Editing

clifdayz

I've got the basics figured out about scripting and the database for vanilla. I understand the worldspace and have made modifications to a server, mostly implementing basic changes and learning from other code.

I've downloaded a bunch of map add-ons in SQF files and added them via the server_functions file. All is good.

Some of these add-ons are overkill or have mistakes, so wouldn't it be great to edit them as part of a mission, not text (I can edit the text, but way too hard to place items).

couple things
1) When I'm in the arma editor I can open chernarus. I can place buildings, etc. I can see in the upper corner how this is going to generate that SQF code. I can't save or preview until i create a unit, but the unit droplist doesn't work. Any ideas?

2) all of these add-ons are just SQF files, but I'd assume there is a set of files for the mission, so they could be loaded and edited and/or merged, right? does anyone put those out?
2a) With that I'm guessing your stuck with an SQF and you'd have to recreate it from sight.

There are sqf to biedie converters around.

As for the other problem, you have to place a side, and a group marker first. If I'm not mistaken (been a long time) press f1,place it anywhere, press f2,place it anywhere. After this you can add units.

Be sure to remove units from the sqf file you upload to your server

when I do F1 and try and drop in an object, the "group" droplist doesn't have any entries.

do i want to convert SQF to biedie? I'd like to be able to take the source that someone created these SQF from and edit that. I assume thas some other files/formats.

Units - i understand that.

What I really wish was that the SF files placed things relatively, not absolutely. Then you could move them around the map. Since i'm a couple of years late, i'm sure thats been discussed before.

If you want to place a UNIT, it needs to be part of a GROUP, which needs to be part of a side, aka CENTER
Place CENTER (blufor, independent,oppfor)
Place GROUP (group_1 of a specified side)
Place UNIT(part of a specified group)

Map files like you are using are created in the 3d editor, make sure you are using that by pressing Control E at the main menu. When you create a 'mission' and save it, there are two files created a mission.sqf and a mission.biedi.
The biedi file is what places the objects in the 3d editor and is required. Both these files are saved in your my documents folder as "user missions". You delete the crap out of the sqf file and rename it to save the custom buildings and load them into your server.
EXAMPLE MISSION FILES ..... Just for reference
Code:
/******************************
*DELETE FROM THE TOP DOWN TO THE MARKER BELOW THE UNIT
*WHEN YOU PUT THIS SQF INTO YOUR SERVER
******************************/
activateAddons [
];

activateAddons [];
initAmbientLife;

_this = createCenter west;
_center_0 = _this;

_group_0 = createGroup _center_0;

_unit_0 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = _group_0 createUnit ["BAF_Soldier_AA_W", [7267.3145, 7821.3154, 0], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _unit_0 = _this;
  _this setUnitAbility 0.60000002;
  if (true) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
  if (true) then {selectPlayer _this;};
  if (true) then {setPlayable _this;};
};
//********************************DELETE ABOVE HERE********************

_vehicle_0 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["ATV_US_EP1", [7204.2295, 7889.8867, 0], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_0 = _this;
  _this setPos [7204.2295, 7889.8867, 0];
};
//************DELETE THESE 3 WHEN YOU PUT SQF INTO MISSION******
processInitCommands;
runInitScript;
finishMissionInit;
Code:
class _prefix_0
{
    objectType="prefix";
    class Arguments
    {
    };
};
class _center_0
{
    objectType="center";
    class Arguments
    {
        SIDE="west";
    };
};
class _group_0
{
    objectType="group";
    class Arguments
    {
        CENTER="_center_0";
    };
};
class _unit_0
{
    objectType="unit";
    class Arguments
    {
        POSITION="[7267.3145, 7821.3154, 0]";
        GROUP="_group_0";
        TYPE="BAF_Soldier_AA_W";
        SKILL="0.60000002";
        PLAYER="true";
        PLAYABLE="true";
        LEADER="true";
    };
};
class _vehicle_0
{
    objectType="vehicle";
    class Arguments
    {
        POSITION="[7204.2295, 7889.8867, 0]";
        TYPE="ATV_US_EP1";
        PARENT="";
    };
};
class _postfix_0
{
    objectType="postfix";
    class Arguments
    {
    };
};
fqPFWzy.png

If you look at my signature you will see the link for the SQF-BIEDI converter which does exactly what you want. Paste that sqf file into text area and enter the LAST ID in your sqf file, in the posted example file the last ID is _vehicle_0 . Click on Convert and it provides you with the biedi file.
So now in your missions folder (look at the path above) create a folder named MYMISSION.CHERNARUS (the extension MUST be the name of the map you want to load). Copy your sqf file into that folder naming it mission.sqf and then create a new file mission.biedi ... paste the code from the converter into this file.
Now you can open the editor, select Chernarus and load your custom SQF file. When you are done, again remove all the garbage (the center, group, unit, and bottom 3 commands) from your sqf file and insert back into your mission.

Wouldnt it have been easier if the dopes who post these SQF files would include the biedi files to begin with?

Here is a link to a bunch of map additions in SQF format that I have collected over time.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4RTx5O3wZvEeHdKb05qUVNoRXc
One that might interest you is the j0k3r5 map pack which includes screenshots and the biedi files so you dont have to bother converting them.

cLdvUZw.png

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I was missing the "center". Almost got it all working. Your google drive doesn't have the joker pack in it, nor the beidi files, just some of the SQF. If you have them great, if not, np. I've been wanting to tweak the klen base.

I've tested out most of the joker files and some are very good, but I think the Ixxo ones blend in better. I'm not a fan of square bases with 10ft cement walls. I do like SectorC which has 50ft walls or whatever...

I'm now able to edit missions. Appreciate the help.

Is there a way to rotate object in the 3d editor? Also, how do you add height?

you manipulate objects using shift, alt , control keys along with mouse wheel left and right buttons. experiment, not sure which does what odd the top of my head.
add height? like move an object higher so its not on the ground? see above.
you can also add code to the objects init line to set height, change texture a etc.

Could you go into more detail on the statement

"you can also add code to the objects init line to set height, change texture a etc."

I've never tried that, but it sounds interesting. Some examples of its use would be awesome if you are willing.

Back