[Release] mmmyum's zed changes - quantity, AI, spawning, permaLoot, permaZeds& more

I tested this earlier, and wow. 130 odd Zeds alive and next to no extra lag at all. At one point there must have been 30 on my screen, all heading my direction. On 2 occasions I was mike Tyson punched to the floor and killed.

The work mmmyum has done is awesome, can't wait how it all pans out.

One thing I noticed is hardly any of the Zeds on my screen had arms out like that, and a fair few where running supersonic, this could have been my end perhaps? Any ideas mmmyum?

The animations are on your end - zeds are client side. You were using the newest version right? I think I sent it to you.

Animations look smooth and nice for me now - though the zeds are a little slow for my taste, it's good for testing.

Further tested with NoHrt tonight, driving around trying to get some desync. Got some red chains at around 300 zeds - this is due to us moving so quickly that zeds are spawning and despawning and sending a lot of network traffic. I think I can probably solve this by dropping the max number of zeds you can spawn if you're in a vehicle - the only time you can move fast enough to cause this issue. No kicks though!

Retargeting zed AI is live and working nicely, thanks go to isathar!

Going to need some more testers tomorrow/this weekend - try to keep testing with a higher server load so I can fix any other issues. Come stress test!

I will be putting up tutorials by Monday for advanced users - and the github will be split into a testing branch and a master branch for release.

I'll catch up with you tomorrow and see what I did wrong, I was seeing the animations, but not all the time.

it would be awesome if you could make a version withouth the skins and animations because i dont want my players to download anything extra since many wont do this and leave my server

@SURT78
Neither of those are required, did you read the thread?

In any case, this is not really ready for release, and will take some scripting knowledge to get it running properly as I have not quite finished the tutorials (working on something new, to further optimize anyways). So unless you're prepared to dive into a few SQFs and figure out how it works (to make it work for you), you might want to wait until it is in proper release.

This is not something you can just drop into your mission and expect to work.

do you have a rough ETA of it being released as I would love to have this on my survival server... Which is currently in testing so if you would like a further test server by all means PM me and I can sort you FTP / admin access on it.

Didn't get much chance to test this weekend, but here are my initial thoughts from last Friday:

-The number of zombies is impressive and I noticed no noticeable performance decrease or desync - I think the most I saw was around 230 zombies in the area, very cool!
-Will need to check if my version is the latest, I noticed that some of the zombies were slightly "choppy" on occasion. I did like what I saw though
-Zombie run speed was quite high, as was their sight/awareness - personally, I'd tone it down just slightly. Not sure if the hyper run speed was intended or not, since I don't see that happening in the video you posted.
-Transitioning from area to area seemed to work well (zombie despawn/spawn)

@PryMary - a week or two, real life work is catching up with me. I'm interested in having it tested on more servers though - add me on steam and we can figure something out! (mmmyum).

@Fr1nk - I've seen over 350 zombies with only two players so far, with no FPS hit! The newest animation mod should slow down zeds and make their animation even more smooth - say goodbye to choppy zeds! Basically speed higher = more choppy.

@ALL

New system is about to be tested - spawning zombies from locations rather than buildings. This should resolve network issues for servers with high populations and be the final step in this being ready for mass release!

This means I'm going to need testers again! In other news: Working with some mod devs to integrate into their next version!

Working on another big project, in it's infancy phases -- open call to devs who might be interested! PM or add on steam for details.

Yum,

I am all about the new Zed system. It sounds awesome. I would love to add this to my DayZ Mercenary mod. I'll hook up with you again on steam. Looking forward to it.

BTW, Your Permaloot system is fantastic!

Location based spawning system is functional! Zeds will spawn from locations (cities, towns, villages, etc) not buildings to save on FPS and bandwidth. Soon I will adapt this system to my airraid script and release a snippet for general use - it should allow any script that relies on coordinates (which are specific to each map) to instead use locations (which every map has a list of!)

I'm going to need a bunch of testers in the next few days, for serious stress testing!

Sorry for the delay guys, we're just about ready for release. Big credit to isathar!!!!!

Entering final testing of the new system, stress testing for MP servers - especially for large ones. My server can only have 20 people on it, but I'm also doing testing with some other people on their dedicated box. If you're interested in setting it up for testing on your server/test box/whatever, message me!

http://mmmyum.info/mmmyum_testbox.html /////// contains download and all required instructions!

Click the link above for instructions to join my test server. Help me try to stress it out!

Warning: 3 of my skins are buggy and TP you to the ocean - marksman, team leader, and bodyguard. DO NOT USE THEM! Msg me if you get TP'd. Everything else should be flawless.
Debug messages about sleeping zeds are normal, please ignore.

Initial Tutorial Release: http://mmmyum.info/yum_zedMods.zip

Will be reorganizing the github over the weekend (for you, torturedchunk:)), it's chaos right now :) Current system is in the testing branch if you want to check it out - or download the link above with instructions and all the files you need.

*Only for zed and loot system not for animations or skins! ALL MISSION AND SERVER PBO BASED !!!

Also compatible with addons, of course!

EDITS:
-fixed zombie_generate typo 545pm
-fixed player_zombieCheck dist activation 730pm 1/06/2013

Fun in elecktro with 3 players:
OcYpinS.jpg

Github updated!

Hopefully less confusion for everyone as to what to download. Virtually the same as
So you may not need to update just yet. More AI tweaks coming, more versions of animation mod with various speeds.
Again, yum_skins has 3 buggy skins, not yet updated: do not wear marksman, bodyguard, or team leader skins.

mmmyum - great work!

One quick question before I start playing with your server side stuff. I'm interested in increasing the zed numbers - but previously it created a fair bit of lag using other methods.

Without using the client side animations - does your changes alter the speed of the zeds? I'm aiming at having the zombies not run, but simply shuffle around (I understand that your animations are client side) - is that controlled via the server scripts?

Cheers

@angry pineapple
Lag is pretty much gone, my method can allow up to 200 zombies with minimal (<10) FPS hit. Shouldn't lag your server too much, but I am still optimizing network use. Zed AI is highly optimized already though.

With regards to speed - Yes and no. In regular dayz - there are only two options for speed - the walk animation they do with no target, and the stupid fast sprint animation they do when they do have a target. You can't change the actual speeds of the zeds without changing the animation speeds - something that is done in my addons along with the custom animations. Basically it's a 0-1 scale value that determines how fast they move.
The speed settings that can be changed from the mission are in the zombie_agent.fsm file (and control_zombieAgent, but I don't think this is used) - just open the zombie_agent and search for forceSpeed - you can see that I make it a random value to give multiple speeds, something that I can determine in my addon as well (but that does mean client side download). There is something I just leared about, with setAnimationSpeed command you may be able to change their speed for the run animation they do when they chase in vanilla dayz - i'm not sure though.

@angry pineapple
Lag is pretty much gone, my method can allow up to 200 zombies with minimal (<10) FPS hit. Shouldn't lag your server too much, but I am still optimizing network use. Zed AI is highly optimized already though.

With regards to speed - Yes and no. In regular dayz - there are only two options for speed - the walk animation they do with no target, and the stupid fast sprint animation they do when they do have a target. You can't change the actual speeds of the zeds without changing the animation speeds - something that is done in my addons along with the custom animations. Basically it's a 0-1 scale value that determines how fast they move.
The speed settings that can be changed from the mission are in the zombie_agent.fsm file (and control_zombieAgent, but I don't think this is used) - just open the zombie_agent and search for forceSpeed - you can see that I make it a random value to give multiple speeds, something that I can determine in my addon as well (but that does mean client side download). There is something I just leared about, with setAnimationSpeed command you may be able to change their speed for the run animation they do when they chase in vanilla dayz - i'm not sure though.

Okay - thanks.

I guess just changing _runspeed the same as _walkspeed would just make them run really slow (could be kinda funny).

Was hoping to get a similar effect without the need for a client download or mod...

Keep up the great work - your additions to my server have been loads of fun!

Back