Suspicious connections - Server security breach? *Urgent help required*

Doc

Valued Member!
My server has experienced a few unusual red chains lately and I investigated by viewing my servers active connections via the firewall software. What I found was rather disturbing.

Whilst most players had a fairly constant 30KB in/out connection and those on-the-fly connections for DayZ commander were demanding only about 29B, there was one anomaly. One player was connecting with an upload and download at constant ~600KB/s data transfer. I terminated the connection to the IP (which was connecting to arma2server.exe on port 2302 as standard).

I later traced the player down that was responsible for this connection and observed his actions - it was a normal player. Whenever he was online, however, he demanded the same high bandwidth of data transfer. In the end, I intervened and teleported to the player to talk to him. I warned him of the implications that if he was attempting to/already had breached the security of the server itself I would pursue legal actions (more of a scare tactic). On the off chance, I asked him how he connected and he said through Six launcher, I told him to use DayZ commander instead. Now when he connects, it's a regular 30KB/s in/out. I do not attribute the connection to six launcher/dayz commander at all and perhaps more to the fact of the scare tactics I adopted. This worries me as to why this connection existed in the first place in the way it did.

Since that incident, I have noticed another IP address making a connection in the exact same manner, with an absurdly high data rate again. This IP was not traced to any player. I have since blocked the IP from making any connections and improved the security settings of the server to help aid this.

I am now summarizing what may have caused this. Was it a failed DDoS on the server? If so, why was the first culprit playing on the server anyway? Or, was it an attempted security breach? Was the user trying to breach server access? Or, was the user requesting high volumes of data from hivemind as part of a strange cheat? Or, is this infact a normal thing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doc

I would guess it is an attempt at flooding the rcon with false data. I have had two people already doing this. But I am working on a fix for it. Managed to block it before with my CoD4 servers. So shouldn't take to long to block these events too.

DDoS for sure or you have custom face activated and they are distributing a heavy image/paa

Battleye must add a setting to only allow localhost connections to bercon....

Thank you guys. Now though, how the hell do I stop it without terminating connection every time?

I have had this exact thing, and I'm convinced it's some sort of radar program. The players don't do anything overt, but every now and then they beeline for something I believe they shouldn't know is there.

Are you using a standard OS program to view your networking connections?

I have had this exact thing, and I'm convinced it's some sort of radar program. The players don't do anything overt, but every now and then they beeline for something I believe they shouldn't know is there.

Are you using a standard OS program to view your networking connections?

My firewall software gives me the details of all inbound and outbound TCP/UDP connections. I simply filter by what programme they are attempting to access and sort by data transfer rate. And yes, I have notices some players on dayzmapper happen to run to a camp in the middle of the woods which they really shouldn't know about.

Another odd connection. Got a screenie. Any more thoughts?
I traced the responsible player down. He was not on the server whilst I took that screenie.
Logs for that player show he logged in and out within a couple of minutes never to return at ~ 10am today
LnGL6pL.png

EDIT: This is interesting.

?10:42:24 : Player #9 Killa (2.221.150.255:2304) connected
?10:42:25 : Player #9 Killa - GUID: (unverified)
?10:45:32 : Player #9 Killa (HUID REMOVED) has been kicked by BattlEye: Client not responding

Doc, will you share what firewall you're using? Been happy with the Windows Firewall, but I'd consider switching for this level of bandwidth monitoring. Seems like it could be handy.

seems an attack contacto to your server provider/hoster to help you , UDP flood is a big shit.

It's possible they tried to flood BE which would stop it updating, in the mean time they could spawn some shit, but who knows... i'd like to of been there to see.

This sounds almost exactly like what's been occurring on a server I'm an admin on. I would appreciate a PM with the firewall as well (it looks very familiar, but can't place it.)

Edit: In addition to a red chain on our servers, we get flooded with BE messages all at once. Essentially BE looks like it stops functioning, then the server lags out, and when it becomes un-stuck, we get flooded with a ton of BE messages for kicks (typically whitelist/lobbying for too long).

This sounds almost exactly like what's been occurring on a server I'm an admin on. I would appreciate a PM with the firewall as well (it looks very familiar, but can't place it.)

Edit: In addition to a red chain on our servers, we get flooded with BE messages all at once. Essentially BE looks like it stops functioning, then the server lags out, and when it becomes un-stuck, we get flooded with a ton of BE messages for kicks (typically whitelist/lobbying for too long).
This could be your server lagging, using a lot of resources, check it out with process explorer, and task manager.

I wouldn't call 600KB/s a DDoS attack.... it's no where near enough to crash the arma instance and something you can easily filter yourself, especially since it's coming from a single IP. If your software firewall is up to it you should be able to rate limit UDP traffic on port 2302 on an individual IP basis, i.e. each IP can only consume X amount of bandwidth.

We get sustained 8Gbps attacks, with the smallest being 2-4Gbps all on port 2302, which of course crashes the arma instance (their desired effect) mind you the IP for that instance gets null-routed generally as we just end up consuming an entire 10Gbps link.

Last attack had 1000+ source IPs but generally it's just from a single IP, it's always when we start to increase in the server rankings.

Doc, I meant to ask after your PM before (and all the notifications have reminded me :)) -- What server OS are you running Comodo on? The reports of flaky support on Server 2008R2 scared me off Comodo earlier.

Back