Temperature

entspeak

Here's an idea that could increase player/zombie interaction (for better or worse, depending on who you're around at the time). Lower the temperature on the map to what it is at night and remove heat packs. This will force people to either head inside (which will only increase temperature slowly) or make fires (which will increase temperature faster, but will attract players and zombies). I wouldn't, however, make a warm clothes skin for general use. I would make it the hero skin, which would actually make it worth trying to get.

The added benefit for PvP players is that it gives them something to hunt.

Then make matches and hatchets easy to find, but hunting knives slightly scarce (to make it harder to get food).

Sounds good, I don't actually know much about temperature, but Stapo is a bit of an expert from his port of thirsk.

Only problem with the hero skin is he has a short sleeved shirt.

Sounds good, I don't actually know much about temperature, but Stapo is a bit of an expert from his port of thirsk.

Only problem with the hero skin is he has a short sleeved shirt.
The temperature values are not too hard to change. It's just a value for outside, a value for night etc... Really easy to adjust.

The hero skin.. why not adjust the skin ;)

Yeah, I don't know what the hero skin looks like now (was there a screenshot of that one?) I've only seen the bandit skin.

In terms of temperature, I think it should be lowered enough that if it's sunny, there won't be a problem, but if it's rainy or night, then the fires need to come out. :) Currently, you can run around in the rain for quite a while before needing to heat up. I do wish the temperature icon made it clearer what your temperature was doing... right now, I can only really tell I'm cold when it starts blinking.

And shivering would be good... Stapo would know about that one, as well, I imagine.

Very much agree.The only thing I would add is that it should take a few hours to start to shiver.This way after a good while the player starts shivering,lights a fire and warms up and is good for a few more hours.If you just make it colder then the players will be stuck to fireplaces.

I'd say an hour and a half, tops... when it's simply overcast - if it's raining or dark, it should be faster. This is intended to be a harsher environment - not as harsh temperature wise as Namalsk or Thirsk, but still. Many players don't even play for a few hours. Yes, you don't want people stuck at fireplaces, but you want them to have to use them for more than simply cooking food. And, there are other means of stopping heat loss. Going indoors will stop heat loss and increase heat slowly, getting in a vehicle also helps, running will increase it slowly if the temperature isn't at a point where it's dropping faster than running will help with. Not everyone will be stuck at fireplaces. It gives an incentive to steal vehicles; it forces one to go into zombie spawn areas or start a fire (which still may attract a horde if you're in a forest); it gives a big incentive to get a hero skin. I would also remove the temperature benefit for the gyrocopters because you're exposed.

But, we do need a better temperature gauge. If it's flashing, it's almost too late... then it's critical. I saw a video of someone playing on Taviana.eu with icons that look similar to what's proposed for DayZ 1.7.5. The icon goes changes from red to blue.

I'd say an hour and a half, tops... when it's simply overcast - if it's raining or dark, it should be faster. This is intended to be a harsher environment - not as harsh temperature wise as Namalsk or Thirsk, but still. Many players don't even play for a few hours. Yes, you don't want people stuck at fireplaces, but you want them to have to use them for more than simply cooking food. And, there are other means of stopping heat loss. Going indoors will stop heat loss and increase heat slowly, getting in a vehicle also helps, running will increase it slowly if the temperature isn't at a point where it's dropping faster than running will help with. Not everyone will be stuck at fireplaces. It gives an incentive to steal vehicles; it forces one to go into zombie spawn areas or start a fire (which still may attract a horde if you're in a forest); it gives a big incentive to get a hero skin. I would also remove the temperature benefit for the gyrocopters because you're exposed.

But, we do need a better temperature gauge. If it's flashing, it's almost too late... then it's critical. I saw a video of someone playing on Taviana.eu with icons that look similar to what's proposed for DayZ 1.7.5. The icon goes changes from red to blue.
Taviana.eu actually HAS the 1.7.5 update included. It's really available to anyone on R4Z0R49's github

Seriously? Why haven't they announced it and made a public release? It's strange. I used to play on the devtest server and now, it seems to have become just another private server with 1.7.4. Weird.

Seriously? Why haven't they announced it and made a public release? It's strange. I used to play on the devtest server and now, it seems to have become just another private server with 1.7.4. Weird.
I don't understand it either, the last commit was over 2 months ago there; they could have released the update by now...

edit: just saw r4z0r saying in a 2-day old issue on git that it's coming very soon, they need to bugfix it so more.

True dat Entspeak , guess it can be tested and then tweaked and see what people like.Lots of stuff should be tweaked and then thrown out for us to test.Really like your idea of removing the warmth factor for the gyrocopters.I wanna be shivering up there.:D

And the hero skin for warmth seems off to me as I have never even given someone a blood transfusion.I am now carrying around 10 blood bags in hopes I meet a really trusting person who will allow me to shoot them and then bandage them up to finally achieve the hero skin.Would love to see a skin for people who survive say 3 days instead.

I've never given one in 2017. But, it's supposed to be hard to get a hero skin. I've not gotten one in vanilla DayZ, either. There needs to be something about the skin that makes it more attractive than a bandit one. It seems to me, warmth in a cold world would do just that.

Maybe take out the immunity to 9mm bullets (In the chest), like the vanilla DayZ Hero skin, as well.
Overall I think Namalsk has a good clothing setup, minus the warm clothing giving 100% immunity from the cold. The Camo skin is short-sleeved, so it actually makes you colder (!)
The UI update definitely need to be added from 1.7.5.

We know it's been available for months there, but we want to wait until it gets officially released. Two reasons:

1 - Things might change. We'd do a port now and then we might have to do a port again.
2 - It feels like stealing code.

You could always ask, as is the policy with the github for 2017 I believe?

Actually, someone in a server made the observation that glass doesn't spawn in DayZ 2017. If that's true, then the heat benefit of all the vehicles should be removed.

Actually, someone in a server made the observation that glass doesn't spawn in DayZ 2017. If that's true, then the heat benefit of all the vehicles should be removed.

But vehicles spawn with Glass. And it stays there until it's broken.

Do they? I know the Hobo truck and the GAZ don't... I've not seen the others at spawn, so I couldn't say. Obviously, if servers spawn vanilla DayZ vehicles, they will spawn with glass.

Do they? I know the Hobo truck and the GAZ don't... I've not seen the others at spawn, so I couldn't say. Obviously, if servers spawn vanilla DayZ vehicles, they will spawn with glass.

Some of them do, I forgot which, because I replaced the vanilla DayZ car with another Vanilla DayZ car.
I think it was a Volha? I replaced it with the Lada Hippie Mobile.

Back