Test Server Setup

delpi

I'm looking to setup a Test Server at the house so I can test things out before uploading them.

I'm using Vert Hosting, so it is a Bliss Server (by the way, anyone know a good thread describing the differences in the types?).

Could anyone point me to a discussion on how to set it up? Any advice? I saw the ones on this forum, but not sure if I test on these and then upload to a Bliss version if it will have issues??

Also,
what kind of dev environement tools are you using to build your mods?

Sorry if this seems noobish, but having trouble searching and finding the right threads.

Goto my website. I have a few vidoes showing what you need and how to configure them

For a server I have a video I did a few months ago and then I did w new one lsst week showing exactly how its done
http://iaregameplayer.com
Thrre is a forum just gor the vif er os

Tools
Notepad++
SQF SYNTAX plugin
Winmerge
Pbo manager
Filezilla

If nothing else you MUST have notepad++ with the sqf plugin

THANKS!!!

So there isn't a nice dev environment tool like Eclipse setup for the language?

I'm currently using Notepad++, I'll have to look into the SQF syntax

You track your changes from Winmerge?

Last question, what is the difference in all the server types (this is probably obvious, but I can't seem to find descriptions)? Bliss, Reality, (the long name one in this forum)?? Is it just how someone packed it together, or will the default files on the Vert Hosting (says Bliss) be different from the ones setup with your link?

I use winmerge to compare the files that I have with the originals. It highlights the differences and will help you find errors if you make backups of your files that are working.

I upload my files to github to keep track of changes.

The bliss vs reality is the tables and ecolumns in the database itself. The hivee t.dll writes to the databsse so from a coding perspective the db schema is irrelevent.
I dont think the videos have any info on the db since pownoz0rs server that I use has a mysql included ... requires nothing on your part to get it setup unless you want epuke server where you will have to import the special tables.

As for vert hosting. Its probably a bit different but as I said you dont have to interact much with the database directly.

We will do a mysql video! !!!

As for your question of an ide like eclipse ... notepad++ is pretty amazing if you learn the features.
There is a program called squint that keeps all the files in a project and does highlighting, syntax checks etc.

But notepad is the standard so if you use squint nobody will be able to help you with it.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11817

So, I follow the instructions for Pwnoz0r and got it up and running. Woota!!!!

However, I'm not sure about what I'm seeing in the database. It looks nothing like the structure I saw on any of any of the hosts i've had.

I'm assuming its using a different database structure. What files do I need to change out so its the same database structure as my host server? I want a duplicate environement.

Your server probably has extra stuff in it so it can accomodate whatever mods you choose to run from the host. The new pwn0z0rs db is what is standard in dayz now. The hosts are lagging behind but what you have there is pretty close to epochs.
What you can do is this if you want to replicate the db ...
Go into your hosts db with whatever program you use (msql workbench, phpmyadmin etc) and EXPORT the database. You should be able to export the entire thing. If not, then you have to export each table AND you will need to export the procedure calls (pmain etc). Then you go into your private server db and IMPORT.
On your hosted server are you using instance_vehicle and instance_deployable tables? If so thats the old reality db.
Can I ask why you want to replicate exactly the db? maybe i can offer some help if I knew exactly what you wanted to do.

This isn't dayz specific stuff, so you will have to find a video about import/export db and procedures on mysql database if you need more help.

ALSO. if you do successfully import your database from the host to the local server, you will have to copy the hiveext.dll from your host into your test server. The hiveext.dll has the functions to communicate with the mysql tables so the dll must match your database schema.

I'm trying to create a 100% identical test environment. Otherwise, how can I know changes will work the same?

If there is a better way plz stear me that way. 1st time doing this.

The dayz scripts send hive reads and writes to the hiveext.dll file. The database itself is never involved. In fact I run dayz on linux where the hiveext is totally bypassed. Dayz doest know the difference.
So what I am saying is that for scripts it wont matter, they will work identically regardless if the db schema.

I'll run with that.

I have one item that I'm worried makes that incorrect. In the old reality version, there are different tables for objects. This means that it saves using UID or GUID in places. A number of the fixes I had for tents involved that. After looking over this, its sure seems like to me, the problem won't exist in this updated database structure but will in the old one.

Here is a specific example from the file server_monitor.sqf.

It works fine in the server pack download.

In Vert, I had to change

_object setVariable ["ObjectID", _idKey, true];

To

if (_ownerID == "0") then {
_object setVariable ["ObjectID", str(_idKey), true];
} else {
_object setVariable ["ObjectUID", str(_idKey), true];
};

Or my tents didn't save

That's because the private server pack works because of the hiveext.dll

I admit that is a db dependant fix,not the error, that has existed since overwatch came out. Dangerruss and I have been discussing that same issue this past week and that was the fix I gave him, update your db and hiveext.DLL

I don't know what to say,... Export and import your db to the test server.
or
an idea just hit me if you want to keep using outdated software ...

Edit your hive.INI on your test to connect to your remote database. You will have to copy verts btoken hiveext.DLL to your test server too.

they are committed.

I tried to move everything over and it seems to work, but as I join the server, it crashes with this error.

Cannot load library: Database.dll

I'm searching for that file on host and locally and can't find it.

ok, that was dumb on my part. I found the file on the Vert Server, copied it over and all is good at least for getting it to load up and run on this database.

Good. Just remember that the schema and all the db files work together as a package so when uou change one you have to change all.
I dont recall ever getting mesaages about that dll though.

Ok, I may have an issue then. I don't know if I copied the schema or not. How can I tell?

The schema is the layout of the database. if you have the object_spawns, object_classes, character_data then you have the new schema (and/or the old epoch db, its the same)

Back