[Tutorial] Custom Loading Screen

jasonpointer

Valued Member!
Here is a guide to show you how to add a kustom loading screen (wallpaper) to your DayZ server.
This is very easy to do yourself and don't need to adjust your server.pbo or Battleye.

What it is is when a player joins and waits while connecting to the server and setting up the player normaly you see the same old DayZ loading screen like this:
dayzbg.jpg

(Full size here| Size=143kb)

However you can make your own loading screen to show off your kool artwork but this is also handy to show the rules, hints & tips, web address, teamspeak info and notices.

This is an example we have on our HairyHaggis.eu
rsz_dzlogo.jpg

(Full size here | Size=310kb)

This has been tested on DayZ versions 1.6.7, 1.6.7.1, 1.7.7 and 1.7.7.1

You can also view this guide at http://doom56.com/dayz/custom-loading-screen

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok first you need a wallpaper, Go and make one but you have to make sure you save it in any of the resolutions below:
512x256
1024x512
2048x1024(best quality)

and Save the file with any name (eg "dayzbg") but the extension file as .paa or .jpg (eg "dayzbg.jpg")

Now with the file you have made using paint or Photoshop or whatever photo editing program you like,
In this example we are going to set the extension file to .jpg but try and compress the file size as much as possible.
(Remember: the bigger file size will result longer mission file downloading, So keep it small as possible)

Now unpack your mission.pbo and insert your new loading screen image (wallpaper) into the root directory like below
insidemissionfolder.png

Then edit "description.ext" using notepad++

look for:
Code:
loadScreen = "\z\addons\dayz_code\gui\dayz_logo_ca.paa";
Change it to
Code:
loadscreen="dayzbg.jpg";

Now repack your mission PBO and check it out.

FAQ
Q: When i join my server the loading is all just lines and faint image.
A: You must make sure your using the correct resioloution but if you have compressed it then you may have compressed it too much

Q: No loading screen showing up
A: check your spelling of your image file name and make sure it matches to the description.ext and have the " in the correct palces

Q: Server not loading up
A: You must have adjusted or added another script while adding a custom loading screen.

Q: My mission loading bar is taking AGES to load since ive added a custom loading screen.
A: you did not compress or the new custom screen image is still too large in file size. Compress it to make it smaller.

Q: What map will this work on?
A: This works on all maps

Q: Whats the best photo editing software would you suggest?
A: Photoshop (currently using CS6)

Q: Whats Notepad++
A: Better software then windows stock notepad (You can download Notepad++ free here )

Don't forget to like if this worked for you :rolleyes:

Really off topic but are you using any antihack and if so, how did you stop antihack blocking car radio scroll menu?

Really off topic but are you using any antihack and if so, how did you stop antihack blocking car radio scroll menu?

in your script.txt for your BE

Look for
Code:
5 addVehicle !"\"addVehicle\","
Change it to
Code:
1 addVehicle !"\"addVehicle\","

Then look for
Code:
5 createVehicleLocal !"\"createVehicleLocal\","
Change it to
Code:
1 createVehicleLocal !"\"createVehicleLocal\","

When editing always best to use Notepad++ free here

Hope this helps :)

Hi there,
What happens with a wallpaper that is 2048x1024 when the player has 1280x1024? will it just crop 384(2048-1280=768/2) pixels on both sides? or will it just resize the image?

I have a question about custom loading screens. I have this working on my server but I am trying to figure out how to move this file to the server.pbo to cut down on the mission.pbo file size. Do you know how to get it working because everything I have tried does not work.

not tried this but good idea tho my guess is changing it from
Code:
loadScreen = "dzlogo.jpg";
to
Code:
loadScreen = "\z\addons\dayz_server\dzlogo.jpg";

Yea I already tried that, and stetson makes a good point. I guess I'll just have to compress the hell outta the image even more if I want the file size smaller.

Here is a guide to show you how to add a kustom loading screen (wallpaper) to your DayZ server.
This is very easy to do yourself and don't need to adjust your server.pbo or Battleye.

What it is is when a player joins and waits while connecting to the server and setting up the player normaly you see the same old DayZ loading screen like this:
dayzbg.jpg

(Full size here| Size=143kb)

However you can make your own loading screen to show off your kool artwork but this is also handy to show the rules, hints & tips, web address, teamspeak info and notices.

This is an example we have on our HairyHaggis.eu
rsz_dzlogo.jpg

(Full size here | Size=310kb)

This has been tested on DayZ versions 1.6.7, 1.6.7.1, 1.7.7 and 1.7.7.1

You can also view this guide at http://doom56.com/dayz/custom-loading-screen

Ok first you need a wallpaper, Go and make one but you have to make sure you save it in any of the resolutions below:
512x256
1024x512
2048x1024(best quality)

and Save the file with any name (eg "dayzbg") but the extension file as .paa or .jpg (eg "dayzbg.jpg")

Now with the file you have made using paint or Photoshop or whatever photo editing program you like,
In this example we are going to set the extension file to .jpg but try and compress the file size as much as possible.
(Remember: the bigger file size will result longer mission file downloading, So keep it small as possible)

Now unpack your mission.pbo and insert your new loading screen image (wallpaper) into the root directory like below
insidemissionfolder.png

Then edit "description.ext" using notepad++

look for:
Code:
loadScreen = "\z\addons\dayz_code\gui\dayz_logo_ca.paa";
Change it to
Code:
loadscreen="dayzbg.jpg";

Now repack your mission PBO and check it out.

FAQ
Q: When i join my server the loading is all just lines and faint image.
A: You must make sure your using the correct resioloution but if you have compressed it then you may have compressed it too much

Q: No loading screen showing up
A: check your spelling of your image file name and make sure it matches to the description.ext and have the " in the correct palces

Q: Server not loading up
A: You must have adjusted or added another script while adding a custom loading screen.

Q: My mission loading bar is taking AGES to load since ive added a custom loading screen.
A: you did not compress or the new custom screen image is still too large in file size. Compress it to make it smaller.

Q: What map will this work on?
A: This works on all maps

Q: Whats the best photo editing software would you suggest?
A: Photoshop (currently using CS6)

Q: Whats Notepad++
A: Better software then windows stock notepad (You can download Notepad++ free here )

Don't forget to like if this worked for you :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I loved it! It really helped me a lot! Im just starting my server. I wish all the tutorials were this well written!!!

Back