Vanilla dayz taviana possible?

Boba Fetish

Got myself a vilayer server thinking I'd create a vanilla server. But to my surprise, it's directly tied to ?epoch? or some other mod. Am I doing something wrong or am u correct to assume it's just not possible?

epoch is most popular. on your control panel should be an icon to reinstall and you can select which mod to install.
vilayer support is pretty ggood. one thing you will need to know is how to edit your files because their system is rather unique. Here is a video from them.

Last edited:
epoch is most popular. on your control panel should be an icon to reinstall and you can select which mod to install.
vilayer support is pretty ggood. one thing you will need to know is how to edit your files because their system is rather unique. Here is a video from them.

Yeah, it seems as if taviana is exclusive to epoch. Even without any of the mods installed. The only map that seems to support the latest dayz mod build 1.8.5 is Chernarus.

No map is "exclusive" for any mod, they might need some tweaks to put the vehicles in the correct spots. Vilayer may not offer a pre-configured installation of a mod and map combination and you will have to use a VPS. all you do is install the map of choice and the mod of choice (dayz 1.8.5) and add the map into your server startup file. In this case you would also replace the chernarus lines with tavi in your mission.sqm addons[] arrays. And, Bobs your uncle, you are running dayz taviana. You have to ask all your players to have taviana installed .. but thats another thread ... nobody said running a Dayz server was going to be easy :p

You are paying a minimum of $21.60 for 30 slots, $36 for 50 slots.
A VPS is actually cheaper and you can run whatever you want. The $12 server will certainly work and if your server becomes popular and you need more, simply upgrade to the next one which is still cheaper than a standard game server. I realize I always seem like an advertisement for vilayer, but they have good support and the prices are very affordable.

Uqzbcdn.png

Last edited:
No map is "exclusive" for any mod, they might need some tweaks to put the vehicles in the correct spots. Vilayer may not offer a pre-configured installation of a mod and map combination and you will have to use a VPS. all you do is install the map of choice and the mod of choice (dayz 1.8.5) and add the map into your server startup file. In this case you would also replace the chernarus lines with tavi in your mission.sqm addons[] arrays. And, Bobs your uncle, you are running dayz taviana. You have to ask all your players to have taviana installed .. but thats another thread ... nobody said running a Dayz server was going to be easy :p

You are paying a minimum of $21.60 for 30 slots, $36 for 50 slots.
A VPS is actually cheaper and you can run whatever you want. The $12 server will certainly work and if your server becomes popular and you need more, simply upgrade to the next one which is still cheaper than a standard game server. I realize I always seem like an advertisement for vilayer, but they have good support and the prices are very affordable.

Uqzbcdn.png
Thanks for your time man.

As far as vilayer, I'm using it and it seems great. My favorite server uses it so I thought that owner could assist me but I believe this might be out of his realm.

I asked specifically before purchasing if they could do a Taviana dayz 1.8.5 and set me up accordingly. They said yes so I ordered. I installed taviana via the addon manager and launched through dayzlauncher. Loaded fine but either was running on an older mod version or, what appeared to be epoch,overpoch etc. I judged this by the old icons, inventory system and the exit screen. In my mind they were bundled which I received a warning about from another person post purchase. Customer service replied that it did not appear to be running epoch. Figured I'd suck it up and have them reinstall Chernarus, the only one out of the two with a (map) live sync button in services.

I am a know nothing about servers, computers or scripting. Just a passion for the game. But you make this VPS setup seem easy. I don't think I would know how to install something on a non preConfigured server like that.

However, perhaps you'd like to set up a server for me for a fee.

(BTW, I keep calling it a VPS, but Vilayer Windows servers are called a VDS)
Can you install Steam, Arma and Dayz on your home PC? then you can do it on the VPS. It runs Windows 2008 and you log into it using Remote Desktop Connection so you its just like you are sitting in front of it. Of course you have to install all the other things too like the Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime ... Basically, imagine if you had a fresh install of windows on your own computer at home, all the steps you need to take. One caveat here is they install the Windows 2008 server but its not activated. You are 'supposed' to buy a CD and use the key to activate your VDS windows server. Of course there are activation workarounds ;) that can be installed instead, thats what I did.

To know exactly what you are running, look at your servers RPT log and when the server starts, the startup command is displayed:
=====================================================================
== D:\Arma\Server\Expansion\beta\ArmA2OAServer.exe
== .\Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\expansion;ca;@hive;@dayz -name=infected -config=config\dayz\dayz.cfg -cfg=config\dayz\basic.cfg -profiles=config\dayz
=====================================================================

IF you decided to do this, What I suggest is you make a Dayz server on your home PC so you can do it all once and see how difficult it is to run a server. I can help you get it all installed.

Late for work, .... later.

Back