Zombie Guts (as a "suit")

Byrgesen

I came across this idea on the official forums, and im not gonna take any kind of credit, but damn what an awsome idea.

Lemme quote how this guy thinks it should work:
Requirments; Hunting knife to cut zombies

How to: Take their organs as a lootable item similar to wearing a Ghillie/Camo/Soldier clothing.

Pros: Disguised whilst looting various places, possibly disguising you to players as well due to no aggro from Z.

Cons: High chance of infection whilst zombie organs are in your backpack, slightly lesser chance of infection whilst wearing the organs, comes off when it rains exposing you to the Zombies/players due to aggro. Players have to walk (CTRL) to avoid aggro, running will alert zombie suspicion instant and likely players.

Im not sure the official DayZ is gonna go for that idea, but it suits 2017 very well in my opinion. I mean people have been "living" with Z's for over 5 years now, its very likely they figure out things like this to survive the end of the world. I like the fact that you have to walk upright and expose yourself alot for this to work, maybe even make a "agro range" of say 3-5 meters, so you have to keep some distance or they will spot you :)

I dont know how easy it would be to do this, when it comes to Z not attacking.
The "suit" should proberly also be a "1 time use" item and maybe with a timer?

Origional thread by Victus Mortus

Again, not taking credit, this guy came up with an awsome idea, im just telling more people about it :)

i like this idea,kind of how they did on the walking dead show to get past the walkers,would it be easy to implement it though?

No idea tbh, im not that much into Arma coding.
But i would guess a suit class could get a "zombie gut" texture, possibly a replacement or a new class. It would then need to be implemented into the loot table, but i dont think that is the hard part, just takes time and a little artist skills :)

I have no idea if its even possible to make a zombie not attack humans when wearing this. Dunno if its just hardcoded they will, but maybe if its divided into teams, like Blufor etc., you could put people on the "zombie team". But i dont know if zombies and players are even divided like that, it might be something completely different.

I guess you could use the "hacker" way and make people invisible to zombies while using it, but i dont know if thats a solid solution or even possible :) Might only be able to make you invisible from everything and we dont want that.

Ohh and the guy got the idea from TWD, like you mention :) Love that show heh.

No idea tbh, im not that much into Arma coding.
But i would guess a suit class could get a "zombie gut" texture, possibly a replacement or a new class. It would then need to be implemented into the loot table, but i dont think that is the hard part, just takes time and a little artist skills :)

I have no idea if its even possible to make a zombie not attack humans when wearing this. Dunno if its just hardcoded they will, but maybe if its divided into teams, like Blufor etc., you could put people on the "zombie team". But i dont know if zombies and players are even divided like that, it might be something completely different.

I guess you could use the "hacker" way and make people invisible to zombies while using it, but i dont know if thats a solid solution or even possible :) Might only be able to make you invisible from everything and we dont want that.

Ohh and the guy got the idea from TWD, like you mention :) Love that show heh.
it is possible to code it so zombies don't attack certain players,whether that could be duplicated so it happens when you get the zombie guts is uncertain, i will speak with hellborn see what he thinks on the idea,as personally i love it. i will take a look at the zed coding see what can be done regarding aggro towards players etc

Awsome mate :)
I dont know much about it, so i doubt i can help, but it would be a nice element to the game heh.

Firstl i'd like to say that it IS an awesome idea. However it wouldn't be feasible with 2017 and would work more with regular DayZ. This idea wouldn't be a positive factor with DayZ 2017 after the next update. One of the next features after this new release will be to re-work/skin the zombies to be more decomposed and frightening! we want you to survive the zombies with stealth (like the original vision for DayZ) and not with an exploit like this 'suit'. Also, This wont work with female character models as they cannot change skins on the fly. If we 'Could' get it to work (we can make anything work) it would also require making female zombie models etc..

We CAN implement it which is not the issue but it would seriously undo other features we are looking at implementing. At this junction we're trying to keep it even and open to both male and female players and every player who plays DayZ 2017 with the new features in the next update. (coming reeaaAAALLLYY soon)

Don't let this discourage you from sending us ideas. It is really helpful to us they you guys continue to do so as we do talk about it as a team here and say yay or nay.

Firstl i'd like to say that it IS an awesome idea. However it wouldn't be feasible with 2017 and would work more with regular DayZ. This idea wouldn't be a positive factor with DayZ 2017 after the next update. One of the next features after this new release will be to re-work/skin the zombies to be more decomposed and frightening! we want you to survive the zombies with stealth (like the original vision for DayZ) and not with an exploit like this 'suit'. Also, This wont work with female character models as they cannot change skins on the fly. If we 'Could' get it to work (we can make anything work) it would also require making female zombie models etc..

We CAN implement it which is not the issue but it would seriously undo other features we are looking at implementing. At this junction we're trying to keep it even and open to both male and female players and every player who plays DayZ 2017 with the new features in the next update. (coming reeaaAAALLLYY soon)

Don't let this discourage you from sending us ideas. It is really helpful to us they you guys continue to do so as we do talk about it as a team here and say yay or nay.

Well then im looking forward to the next update, when you "hype" it so much hehe ;)
But i think, with the consequenses of using this method, it would be like a "Last way out" move. I see your point however, i dont know what you are planning, but im looking forward to it, and if this would "break" some of that stuff, it should not be there.

Although i do believe this is more of another survival elements, then an exploit tbh. You can only use it if it doesnt rain, you get sick from using it and your completely exposed while using it :) If thats an exploit, then im bill clintons cousin haha.

But who knows, with the new features comming, some tweaks here and there might make this suggestion viable. I cant say :)

Just think its very important to have many different ways of survival, variety if you will. We should all be slaves to the same mechanics, but there should be twists and curves, from which you can "choose" your way of survival :)

That's a fair comment buddy. If we were going to add this feature then a person will need more than a knife to create the suit. (Because its an easy find) and zombies are everywhere which would make it easy to obtain. As I also said that the new zombies will be more decayed so it wouldn't be possible to wear the flesh of something that hardly has any flesh.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why is the chance of infection high when the stuff is stowed and not even touching you, but low when you're actually wearing it? Seems to me, it should be the opposite. I also agree that, if a female character can't make use of it, it shouldn't be in the game. In the end, as cool an idea as it is, I think it would work better in DayZ SA, where you can choose to wear clothing, rather than having to change your entire model. And, except for the infection bit, you can do the same thing without the skin... you can avoid aggro by walking stealthily and avoiding being seen... you're more exposed, but it's tense as hell to maintain - which is something you lose when you add a "cloak of invisibility", as it were. It works on screen because, in addition to seeing the characters revulsion and fear that they might be seen at any moment, the cinematography adds a sense of claustrophobia. You aren't going to be able to replicate that in game.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why is the chance of infection high when the stuff is stowed and not even touching you, but low when you're actually wearing it? Seems to me, it should be the opposite. I also agree that, if a female character can't make use of it, it shouldn't be in the game. In the end, as cool an idea as it is, I think it would work better in DayZ SA, where you can choose to wear clothing, rather than having to change your entire model. And, except for the infection bit, you can do the same thing without the skin... you can avoid aggro by walking stealthily and avoiding being seen... you're more exposed, but it's tense as hell to maintain - which is something you lose when you add a "cloak of invisibility", as it were.

Bingo! Exactly

True heh, i see your points.
I actually completely forget the difference between your Z's and Rockets. You got real zombies hehe, Rocket doesnt.
It was initially a SA idea, as you mention, so it makes sense when you talk about the entire changing model and not clothes, and i didnt actually take 5 years of decay into account.
Although you werent gonna wear flesh, just cover yourself in decaying remains, in what ever way possible, like in The Walking Dead.

As for infection chance, its wierd yes dunno why i missed that. Must have read it the way you wrote it hehe.

All in all, i rest my case then :) Waiting patiently for next update ;)

This would not be to hard to code, the only extensive part might be the modeling of the suit.

Its a great idea.

It could get tweaked abit to suit the needs of 2017, but the general idea is camoflage yourself from Z's, with stuff from Z's :)
Theres different options to make it more tricky to use, like the amount of guts you need, a bag to carry it maybe and something to "scoop" it with. Maybe you cant go to close, but closer then normal, when its used? Maybe you need a water source to clean it again, or it could kill you.

It would also give players the option to cover one self in guts and "trick" other players into thinking its a Z, then ambushing him. Interesting gameplay :) Possibly adding the option to lye down and "play dead", bet arma has an aniomation for it heh.

It sucks with the female, but tbh its never worked proberly and people have come to terms with it, in general. It should not be a reason not to do something in my world :)

Ohh just came up with something else. What if you get covered in "zombie guts" if you get ambushed and have a heavy close combat fight? You guys mention the Z's decaying a lot, so if you hit one in the head with a hatchet, it would say "POP" and you would get blood and gore all over.
Theres a danish book called "Kadaver March" (Carcass March) where some guys gets hold up in a motel by Z's. One tryes to break in and the arm gets stuck in the door. The guys then keep pushing the door untill the arm "pops" and a shitstorm of blood, gore and matter is unleashed in the room, making them all sick for weeks.

Just throwing around ideas here heh, stop me if you can ;)

I just finished writing this. Got the idea from my wife a few weeks ago. It's basically as described except I cannot get the gore effect on the player nor one of the two sounds to work. It requires a hatchet and a fresh dead zombie body. Takes about 25-30 seconds to get yourself "camo'd". I attach a flag to the player that's checked in two different scripts that keeps him or her from being attacked. I even have the player making random moaning zombie noises, heh heh.

I just finished writing this. Got the idea from my wife a few weeks ago. It's basically as described except I cannot get the gore effect on the player nor one of the two sounds to work. It requires a hatchet and a fresh dead zombie body. Takes about 25-30 seconds to get yourself "camo'd". I attach a flag to the player that's checked in two different scripts that keeps him or her from being attacked. I even have the player making random moaning zombie noises, heh heh.

Mind posting that one? sounds really cool

I most definitely will once I figure out how to get one of these sounds to work plus get the "Dead body" graphic effect on the player's skin.

Back