Adjust Zombie Speed ..

ShootingBlanks

OpenDayZ Guru!
I am tired of these servers that dont want the players to actually play a Zombie game. They want walking zombies, they want fewer zombies, they want zombie shields ...

Well I want MORE zombies, I want HARDER zombies, I want FASTER zombies. The first two I got .. the third isnt' as easy as i thought. I changed the force_speed to 15 instead of 2 (the reverse of making walking zombies) but it doesn't work. I think the issue is that zombies are still using the games AI/player models and there is probably some type of hard coded speed that affects all units .. but I am just guessing here.

Any thoughts?

I have a solution that will work. Instead of making the zombies faster than players, I can make the players tire quickly using the included R3F scripts and slow them down so the zombies can catch them ..

the idea is to enforce stealth and evasion which is non-existent in 99.999% of the servers in existence.

if (_zskin == "blahblah) then { code you want }; which would go at the bottom of the zombie_generate.sqf which is found in the dayz_code.pbo under the compiles.sqf

Can the skin be anything that is already in the, say "overpoch game"? Example: FR_AR skin that comes in Overpoch.
Like the zombies would be zombies, but in a different skin.

Hmm, good question. they wouldnt look like zombies then. But .. I dont know why not. Lets test it and find out.

I set all zombies to be rocker1
They spawned but did not follow the zombie FSM and they did not have any damage handler.
So .. you could change them I suppose, but it would take some tweaking to make them behave like zombies. I just changed the _type in zombie_generate.sqf to "rocker1", somewhere else there would be some code that assigns the FSM to the agent based on skin ... I am assuming.

in retrospect, I already knew that but had forgotten. I had made an Alienz mod using Dayz and changed the zombie spawns to various civilians just to have populated cities.

Last edited:
Hmm, good question. they wouldnt look like zombies then. But .. I dont know why not. Lets test it and find out.

I set all zombies to be rocker1
They spawned but did not follow the zombie FSM and they did not have any damage handler.
So .. you could change them I suppose, but it would take some tweaking to make them behave like zombies. I just changed the _type in zombie_generate.sqf to "rocker1", somewhere else there would be some code that assigns the FSM to the agent based on skin ... I am assuming.

in retrospect, I already knew that but had forgotten. I had made an Alienz mod using Dayz and changed the zombie spawns to various civilians just to have populated cities.

Could the same be possible for zombie sounds? Like changing the zombie sounds and including the .ogg file in the mission so that players that join, download it? Just like a custom intro sound.

Well you could add that into the zombie fsm file. There is a section where they are set to chase and could add that sound there ... or whevever I guess. I had a thought to add in a sound of them saying "braaaainnsss"
Investigate the files. Just remember that when a file is in the dayz_code and you want to change it, you have to copy it to your mission folder AND that file has to have its path pointed to by the compiles.sqf or another file that can be redirected by compiles.sqf

Back