DayZ origins?

You know what mate, i cant agree with you more. Dont get me wrong, ill love standalone, in know it. But to be honest, zombies dont really do much for me. The player has always been the main antagonist. I know i have referenced them before, but look at Mad Max / Book of Eli type films. A lot of enphesis on bandits and VERY limited supplies, but also the feel of being alone. Which is never the case in DayZ! Personally, i'd prefer not having zombies and only worrying about the living. Meaning you will have a lot less encounters where you need to use a weapon, but when you do, there more tence

Very much, that is the impelling story line which rings so much with us. Its you on your own against the world.

Looking back now. I would rather have done my own non DayZ mod from the start now. That is not to knock DayZ, rocket did something very special there, but in hindsight I would have done (what I have done) differently. Still without DayZ I would not have been given the springboard to put me on the road to learning how it all worked. So I owe a lot to it, but the bread is going a little stale for me now.

Hmm, i wonder why you guys are spending so much energy on those guys who steal and do this and that and get more server attention?

What exactly is it you guys are searching for, or aiming for? Are you trying to create an awesome mod of the game, or are you truly worried about server rankings and publicity? If its the first, get to it, if its the last, go do something else, you will fail. (Steve Blank, 2010)

What you guys are doing in the modding community is called "Social Entrepreneurship" the other guys are doing the same. However, both of yours business model is different. It is obvious that there is some sort of monetary gain involved in origins, and yours does not. So, two different business models. They can co-exist easily, if the crew of both parties actually just ignore each other and spend time being productive.

I will yield the point of stealing code and video to you, if you can all 100% assure me that you have never used pirated software yourself or visited sites like piratebay. Otherwise, its hugely irrelevant if other people stole anything from anywhere. In the end it will benefit the people who play the mods anyway and it wont really harm you in anny physical way. Isnt that what you want too people enjoying and playing?

How about abit of value clarification so you can aim for those vaulues? (S. Covey, 1989) It is much more productive than arguing antics and morale. Both are highly arbitrary anyway and it creates conflict in the real problem: Getting to the finnish line!

Cheers,
Michael

Very much, that is the impelling story line which rings so much with us. Its you on your own against the world.

Looking back now. I would rather have done my own non DayZ mod from the start now. That is not to knock DayZ, rocket did something very special there, but in hindsight I would have done (what I have done) differently. Still without DayZ I would not have been given the springboard to put me on the road to learning how it all worked. So I owe a lot to it, but the bread is going a little stale for me now.

Yeah, as much as i hate to say it, as it stands it has definitely gone stale.

@ Savage above

I don't exactly know if you are ignorant or haven't read the posts ahead of what you posted, but your seriously way off.

On another note, theres loads of kicking off at the moment on how there dealing with server files. A lot of there "NEW" features are basically 1.7.5 and it seems people are not happy about them locking down the mod when it consists of so much work submitted by the community

Someones got the server files as unofficial servers are now popping up, under the name Dayz Origins Bliss ... inspired by rape dungeon

I think Michael is quite bang on.

Either way rape dungeon is getting a fruit basket for taking their code and releasing it publicly, it's not their game or their mod so stuff them really. Maybe we should package the vehicles up and release them to anyone that wants to use them :p

Yeah, as much as i hate to say it, as it stands it has definitely gone stale.

@ Savage above

I don't exactly know if you are ignorant or haven't read the posts ahead of what you posted, but your seriously way off.

#############################################################################
I am glad you start your sentence with I dont know. Usually that implies a situation where it might be beneficial for you to seek out the information you need to come to a conclusion. In this particular case it might take a few years at a university studying psychology and philosophy.

That said, your statement made very little sense and I do not understand what way you think I am off, could you please elaborate that abit so that I might be able to understand what you really mean?

Thank you in advance
Michael

The thing is, I am craving to develop a game myself. "Unfortunately" DayZ has brought me to Arma II and I know little about coding in the Arma engine.

I kinda stole someones code aswell and put it into taviana.eu 1.5 as that was the only thing I could get my hands on. Of course it was from the Bliss fork. I usedBliss since day 1, ayan4m1 ofc and later switched to a taviana version from p.schneider I believe.

I implemented mi17 and other vehicles to be able to transport stuff around! Boy was I proud! It took a few lines of copy paste and suddenly, my server could do something no other 1.5 server could! Put a car into a MI17 and fly it to your home base for repairs! Or have your team mate at home base with yoru vehicles, repairing them, sending you a new vehicles when you "filled" yours with gear and switching out cars. Kinda fun :) Besides, my server has 4-6 people so we "solo" alot and the transport effect adds abit of fun to the game for us on that particular server.

What I really would like to do, and also invest some money in, would be an arma III implementation of the following game from 1992: telnet: mud.arctic.org:2700 Yes, I am aware that they removed telnet from windows 7.

What I would "steal" from there would be: basicly everything, and I would ask the "gods" aka. the developers to help doing this. Hell, I played this game since 1996 and made friends all over the world!

However, in order to successfully negotiate an agreement like that, and aquiring their time (away from their game) and convince them that this could be possible. Alot of the system they use for leveling, skills and such are, lets say, 21 years old and highly matured!

For instance, how about this:

Level 1:
-You suck with handguns
-You suck with shotguns
-You suck with rifles
-You suck even more with sniper rifles.

XP to level 2 1995
XP gain on: Zombie kills, bandit kills (more?)
XP loss on: (death= XP amount lost = - (1/3 to 2/3rds of xp to next level, not just a level each time)

xp to level 3 1995

xp to level 4 2495 etc......

When I say you suck with weapons, I mean, when you AIM at level 1 skilllevel 0, you will be well suffering the effects you normally feel when in pain in dayz, shaking and unable to shoot correctly.
The more you,(I would say, hit by luck) your skill MIGHT increase abit. To make things intersting, how about making those skills invisible to players? I mean, sure, we can say Handguns: <awfull>, v.bad, bad, v.poor, poor, average, good, v.good, excelent, superb, superior and quantify them with %values, each increase in skill% decreasing the amount of "pain effect"
Of course equipment like scopes and other nifty aids would increase this invisible skill, but not necesarily displaying it.

Also, screw if rocket wanted AI in here or not.
How about we make the military bases filled with military AI and conduct quests, where certain players can take over those AI spots on reboots, and make events! Create a dynamic world instead of just admining a world that needs a reboot once in a while.

Items:
Items are good! But, items dont last forever! Implement a system that regulates how many weapons of a certain type will spawn depending on the active playerbase (use last update in db combined with time played to avoid connect/disconnect polution)
Lets say playerbase for a certain server is 40 people, there would be 1 and only 1 L85 spawned on that server. 1 person will find it, noone else ever will... kinda sucks doesnt it? Well, not untill this one thing... DECAY of items. Also kinda makes it easy to detect hackers right?
IF # of L85 > 1 then hacker > 1 for sure! And I think its possible to log where a player picks up stuff yes? at some point it goes to inventory and then its recorded in the database etc..

L85 decay limit: arbitrarily selected: 6000 minuttes. Thats 100 hours play time then the item decays into dust and is put back into the location where it came from (lets say a heli crash) so someone else can go get it, or the person who lost it, can go get it back, either way, its a fight against time, and it keeps people playing.
A system like this has kept a TEXT based MUD alive since 1992.. it might actually work! Carebears dont play dayz anyway!

Also, quests! How awesome would it be, if you could type in: "move bush" when standing next to some bush (besides, noone told you that you could do that to the bush!) and behind the bush is suddenly a path that you can enter to some kind of area that drops some gear of some sort... lets say a PDW this time..
5 PDW's pr. server, decaytime 10000 (this weapon doesnt shift balance that much, again, totally random value selected)

Lockable cars.
Lockpicking skill obtainable through some obscure quest. A quest that is developed by a modder and NOT on some WIKI somewhere... So players actually have to figure out some keywords by themselves instead of mindlessly running around shooting everthing there is to shoot.
Maybe just a server news update saying : It is rumored, that a pack of bandits have settled in the north west corner of <Insert town name> and it would be up to the players to go investigate.. of course, this brings back respawn timers and such... But since we are already ona private hive, which, seems to be basis for community building, clans would quicklly florish and share the knowledge about quests internally and keep it away from enemies etc..

Basicly, its a new game, from an old game, and I assure you, I will put credits where they are due.

Unfortunately, its just a dream, and I cannot code arma II or III, I was just barely able to make vehicles cargo-loadable from someone elses code :) And now that I think of it, I dont think I thanked him, whoever it was for his contribution. I was so busy getting this to work that I forgot to update the MOTD, and now, I dont remember where I got it either.. :( Well, some searching will probably reveal it for me :)

Well #include <stdio.h> <--- ugh, copy of code! But why invent the deep dish twice when you can just include the already made work? Leaves me time to focus on important other things that may or may not improve the experience doesnt it? :)

The game im talking about is based on AD&D and includes entities like lord soth and other insane stuff that you youngsters dont know anymore? or do you? Well, im 33 and grew up with RPG's, we used dice though! And SSI's games!

@Graz: Thank you :) I agree with you completely
:p Releasing them: sure, why not? Kinda OpenSource way to go is'nt it? Linux did great that way and look what it brought us today! (Android, MacOS etc..)

Cheers!
Michael

PS: If any of you guys need an arma VPS to develop on, let me know. I will add more ram to my vsphere cluster within the next two weeks so I got spare capacity :)

PPS: The "we are working on a server files release" uhm... guys.. there are 8 servers online.. the serverfiles already exist! what is there to work on Origins guys?!? copy to zip, put zip to website, done, world has origins! no problem! After that, wait for someone else to pack them into bliss like usual!

PPPS: (Sorry had a few beers today)
#However, in order to successfully negotiate an agreement like that, and aquiring their time (away from their game) and convince them that this could be possible#

Would take alot of leverage and some foundation for them to work with. Unfortunately, that is more than I can offer aswell :( I can offer hardware and server clusters and and and... but software skills? Zip :/

What I really would like to do, and also invest some money in, would be an arma III implementation of the following game from 1992: telnet: mud.arctic.org:2700 Yes, I am aware that they removed telnet from windows 7.

Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Here%E2%80%99s-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

Also you're right, just focusing on what you're doing and making sure the players have a good experience is the primary reason for this gig. I suppose sometimes I actually enjoy getting the pitchforks out and going on vitriolic binge.

Well, I tried with neverwinter nights I and II but the engine just wasnt capable enough :) Arma can actually realize this dream of mine :)

I mean, how can seriously say its NOT fun to find a rusty hammer, a pair of pliers a broken hinge and a crate with broken hinges?

Fix hinge with pliers, fix crate with hinge, open crate and goodies could be inside :) stuff like that :)

Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Here%E2%80%99s-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

Also you're right, just focusing on what you're doing and making sure the players have a good experience is the primary reason for this gig. I suppose sometimes I actually enjoy getting the pitchforks out and going on vitriolic binge.

Honestly what i do is for me and my buddies and i could care less if any thing i do is popular or not. If im having fun with my buddies that's all that matters.

I think you got my point :)

If other people join in on your server, its just added bonus right? :)

Do you guys need a VPS on a 500mbit connection to code some stuff on? Would be my contribution to the community as I cannot code :/

Oh ArcticMUD has changed domains recently that might be why you thought i wasnt serious :) Its located at arcticmud.org now not mud.arctic.org :)

right now im working on decoupling the hive from the mod, i just want the hive i don't want all the baggage that dayz comes with, im constantly coming up with ways to work around what dayz takes away from me.

I would love to have a system where i have a bunch of servers all connected to the same hive but are all running different missions/mods and backed by the persistence of the hive system.

right now im working on decoupling the hive from the mod, i just want the hive i don't want all the baggage that dayz comes with, im constantly coming up with ways to work around what dayz takes away from me.

I would love to have a system where i have a bunch of servers all connected to the same hive but are all running different missions/mods and backed by the persistence of the hive system.

That crossed my mind too. Connecting different missions to different servers could yield a system where you can actually take a plane from map A to Map B and just be teleported over there, maybe there would be problems with people having to connect to the other server, but that is a minor inconvenience :) As far as I know, its all about changing the value Instance_ID in mysql to another instance on another server and the character would exist there instead. Am I wrong about that?

It could actually also be possible, if arma can trigger external events, to simply have 1 IP for ALL servers that people conenct to, and a dynamic iptables setup that will route traffic to the correct server, regarding to where that person is (instanceID) Hmm, i need to think abit more about that :) players would be disconnected, but upon reconnection they would go tot he right server.

That 2nd part would be better served by a custom launcher similar to how six and tz commander works.

Nice to see this thread manifesting into something positive.

I also think your both spot on. DayZ lit the fuse, but there is so much more that can be acheived.

Back