Yeah, I could have 10-20 random floor layouts for the furniture, and it could then randomize them for each floor of each building, make not only every room, different, but each building also...
Add to this the thought of doing all new furniture some of which maybe reflects signs of damage or apocalypse.
What I really want to do is work out a system of dual/triple proxies for furniture as well, so that cabinets open, drawers open and close etc etc... It should be very possible when you do it on a modular basis like this. you make a cabinet 3 proxies, exterior, interior, and door, you can then animate only the door or drawer.
I've got the buildings where there are 3 blank floor/room models, bottom, top, and 1 floor.. same goes for the stairs, and railings, bottom, top, 1 floor. I'm going to make the floors include the exterior walls, the roof ladder already includes the roof, so.... I could make blank templates of 1-30 story buildings, then you could have pretty much any number of floors.
I could make it so there is a choice whether to have the front porches or not, the 8 story cuts them out for saved poly's I'm sure... It might get into laggy behavior even if it is proxied, but I doubt it... I'm going to play with it a bit.
If I can include the geometry and paths etc for the proxies, I could make it fully modular where there is no "base" building, you can just stack bottom, middle, top with as many middle parts as you want.