dayZ - the Aftermath

axeman

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
I have just come to the realisation of what I have been working toward with the scripts and missions that I've have been using to learn Arma 2 modding with and it is this:

dayZ - the Aftermath.

This is about the dayz just after the apocalypse, where electricity still functions randomly, troops are out trying to help with the clean up and protect survivors by driving around picking up lost souls. Pockets of troops fighting it out against each other where one side is survivor friendly, the other bandit friendly, the spoils go to the winning side.. Random AI units flying sortees around the map offering lifts across the map. All of the chaos and burning down that comes with the end of the world has only just days gone by, the embers are still smoking but the factions have been decided.. You're a Survivor, a Bandit.. or you just want to keep out the in the woods and raid the towns now and again, how about a survivor shack to work from, a key for the door and a workshop to help maintain your vehicle ?

Recently, with the AI stuff I have been doing i have realised how powerful this engine is and the ideas are flowing. I am busy working on protecting my bus route by triggering new units to come in and attack anyone trying to kill the driver and spawn a HV full of angry troops to retaliate. I have a bunch of real friendly guys on my server and they freely admitted to TuBz, the number one admin and tester (and good buddy), that they shot the driver up and looted the bus. I love that shit, it gives me more inspiration on how to react, and makes me want to trigger a realistic retribution. Sadly,for them, the bus isn't in the database, which I do feel a bit bad about as they should have a reward for their work :)

So, I am going to try and package all of the stuff I have done, and any other bits that people want to add, anything that fits with the timescale of a few days after the apocalypse. I would like to get some of that dying chaos in, yet keeping the ethos that is dayZ. I definitely do not want to lose the scavenging and loneliness that this game has created, the atmosphere, the pure fear, I love the survivalist aspect. I have never before been briefly distracted by a passing cow, turned around and screeched out loud in the dark of the night cos I am being attacked.. Until dayZ, for that Rocket, and all the people who freely put their time into the game, have my undying respect and gratitude.

So there it is, dayZ the Aftermath, you heard it here first. I did google it to see if anybody had taken the name/ concept / idea whatever, couldn't find anything, I hope I am the first cos I love the name and it just came to me about 20 minutes ago, so I wanted to get in there with it first. If anybody wants to join in there with their code, help, testing, so long as it fits in with the ethos, which is hard not to with this game, you are more welcomed with open arms.

It is going to be a mod starting with what I have done so far, and have in testing, and it is just going to grow as I, or you, add more.. I have realised that several disparate mission files, that could, and would, work better together, will be better of in one place, so a server side mod it is.. I do not want the client to have to download unless they want to, for now.

That is my outline for the work I am doing and intend to do, am not big on names but I liked that one and it gives me a focus and general direction.

Here's to surviving the dayz after the apocalypse !

Ohh does this mean I'm now a mod admin as well as a server slave:)...shame My abilties end at testing and not actually helping with the code...bring it on Code god:)

Seriously though, TuBz here is my good friend, who I know through a local LAN event that we go to fragLANd. If you anywhere near Bedfordshire, within 100 miles, it'll be worth it, we having the next meet in April..

He's not a bad server admin either, if he stopped hoarding the vehicles like a demented hotel valet ;)

Sounds awesome man. Let me know when it's up and I will bring my pals over and give it a try.

Come over any time m8, I generally use the live server as a secondary test area once I am happy my code won't crash or do anything else majorly bad.

There is always new stuff on there that you won't see elsewhere. Am about to add the option to create a persistent building live on the server, dependent on your inventory, no hints (at the moment) :)

Can add buildings from the web page but that is starting to get a bit silly now, we have witnessed some monstrosities, funny but leg breaking and impossible to get out of.

Come over any time m8, I generally use the live server as a secondary test area once I am happy my code won't crash or do anything else majorly bad.

There is always new stuff on there that you won't see elsewhere. Am about to add the option to create a persistent building live on the server, dependent on your inventory, no hints (at the moment) :)

Can add buildings from the web page but that is starting to get a bit silly now, we have witnessed some monstrosities, funny but leg breaking and impossible to get out of.
Message me the IP if you don't mind. My server is expiring in a week, and my friends and I have nowhere to go since we're not renewing. ;D

Seriously though, TuBz here is my good friend, who I know through a local LAN event that we go to fragLANd. If you anywhere near Bedfordshire, within 100 miles, it'll be worth it, we having the next meet in April..

He's not a bad server admin either, if he stopped hoarding the vehicles like a demented hotel valet ;)

Lol.. you think I have a hoard...my vehicle tally comes in at 3 or 4 currently.. have you seen the new megahotel up north east...they will need a multistorey parking setup if they take any more of the choppers and cars:)

Message me the IP if you don't mind. My server is expiring in a week, and my friends and I have nowhere to go since we're not renewing. ;D

Your welcome anytime...

Currently we are rationing our admin repairs to cars and choppers..
"It's about time the locals made an effort to repair stuff"...at the moment if it's not 99% or above they leave it and go find something else.....at the speed one group are crashing everything it won't be long before they click that all that's British army green or sand coloured is not gold and magically repaired:)

If the pickings are a bit thin don't give up on us just shout and either Axeman or myself will fix a few up...this temporary lesson is for one or 2 groups not the masses, whom usually are pretty fair in what they store and hoard:)..

Plus I am going to implement some proper vehicle 'recycling' soon, crashed stuff will go back into rotation and get spawned naturally. I will be adding some 'spoils of war' from the fighting AI Units, when I get these damn eventHandlers sussed :)

I have just come to the realisation of what I have been working toward with the scripts and missions that I've have been using to learn Arma 2 modding with and it is this:

dayZ - the Aftermath.

This is great! We're doing something similar, but a bit more degenerated than what you're going for. We've got soldiers possibly spawning in one of the three major cities, shooting zeds (and pulling zeds with their actions, like survivors would). Eventually, they'll run out of ammo and be overrun - you can scavenge Tier 1 military weapons from their corpses (M4, M16) - or, kill them yourself! but be careful, they're crack shots, and they don't like being attacked >:)

There's also a chance to spawn desperate civilians at any town, trying to survive the zombie hordes with shotguns and makarovs. I don't think things will go well for them :(

And there is a chance to spawn packs of bandits in all of the major wilderness areas (especially along the zone line). They'll shoot anything and anybody, but their not very good shots.

The only thing I'm working on now is getting the zombies to actually kill the AI.

Sounds like too many of doing very similar things here, lol ;), I am trying something a lil different and trying to get a few dogs that survivor's can have as companions, and to help against anyone or anything who attacks their master. Prob is, it keeps breaking my mission file:(, but somehow, even a noob like me will get it working, I hope. lolo_O

Sounds like too many of doing very similar things here, lol ;), I am trying something a lil different and trying to get a few dogs that survivor's can have as companions, and to help against anyone or anything who attacks their master. Prob is, it keeps breaking my mission file:(, but somehow, even a noob like me will get it working, I hope. lolo_O

Next up giving dogs a pounce and takedown attack that knocks players on their ass / chance to know them out.

And add the ability to PLAY the game as a dog. I mean.. you can already change peoples character models into dogs, all that's needed now is a set of abilities.

Good luck with it, there is some work being done with dogs by piXel, can't find the thread as he doesn't like people looking at his profile apparently :) Have used the dogs section of the code on my server..

yeah I have been into his thread but the files have a heap of other stuff linked into them, tried to remove un-wanted items-Result='Wait for Host"
Tried to merge only required files into my mission file- Result= "Something went wrong, please try again"
Also Tried to add just my AI, bliss version etc just to see if I could run it- Result= "both of the above"

lol, very annoying, and no matter what changes I make I cant crack it, I think it is above this noob's head, lol.
However I have learnt a lot from this forum so thankyou all for your posts and help.

Um.. can I get in contact with you guys? I posted on the forum and asked if I could help moddeling and Rossymond (I think..) said yea and that I should hop on TS. I dont know what your TS and on the new website/forum I cannot contact or post anything. Could you guys PM me .
THX

Back