Enable Briefing?

TorturedChunk

Valued Member!
So I have been messing around with the briefing quite a bit because I want to add my change log for DayZ Mercenary to it. Ive created the briefing.sqf and added in the vm stuff. However, the mission loads, the changelog entry shows in the list under Server Control and then is deleted.

I have looked through the DayZ Code and found RscTitles and tried to mess with it a bit to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea how to enable the diary/briefing list?

Thanks.

Not exactly. You are able to make a briefing.sqf and it will be displayed with it's own clickable menu item when you click open your map for example. Much the the Player List, Server Control etc. However, DayZ Code is somehow deleting anything that is added to that menu.

I cant seem to figure it out. I thought it was the RscTitles deleting it, but commented a section of it out and have the same result.

A lot of good uses for this if anyone figures it out.

Still having issues with this. Tested my briefing.sqf in a standard mission and it worked. I cant tell if the server or mission is deleting the added functions.

Still working on this. Confirmed it is the server side of the mod that removes it.

Launched server with mod set only and it worked. Couldn't login and play, but the "briefing" stayed. Enabled the server mod set and it disappears.

I am continuing to go through the server mod set and see what might do it.

Run a "find in files" on your server/mission pbo with notepad plus plus. Filter for briefing and it should narrow down the files you have to look at. Sounds like a great idea, can't wait for the final result.

Just a thought as you say having the @Hive enabled causes the briefing to delete itself, the only way (in theory) it can do this is inside the server cleanup FSM file.

My guess is its inside the "General Cleanup" section, perhaps where the script is cleaning up other groups that have no units assigned to them - i do not know fully how the briefing screen works, but if you have to make a group in order to display it, this would be why its disappearing.

Using the FSM Editor from ArmA 2 Tools:
So in dayz_server.pbo\system\server_cleanup.fsm - inside FSM State 'general cleanup' (Square box at the bottom) is the Clean Groups code (very first section).

You can try setting a variable to your briefing screen object and check if the variable exists inside the general cleanup, if it does exist then skip it.

For example:

Briefing:
Code:
_myBriefing setVarable [ "myProtectionVar", 1 ];

Cleanup FSM:
Code:
if ( _x getVariable ["myProtectionVar",0] != 1 ) then {
 //Delete the group as usual here...
};

I might be totally wrong on this, but its worth a shot :)

I too figure it is with the server cleanup. Just by the way it is being removed. I have tried to execute it every which way I can to no avail.

I am not too familiar how the FSM work but have looked at it through the FSM editor. I have searched everywhere for anything "briefing" or related. The only thing I havent tried was adding the exec to the 100 "Surivor" slots in the misson file.

Ill get a chance to mess with it some more this weekend. If I get this to work, it will be an evolution for me. :)

If i had a better understanding of how your making the briefing i may be able to help you further.
If you wish to send me the file i'm sure i can figure something out.

It is just a standard briefing right now. It creates a diary record and then a note for it. Nothing Fancy.

The briefing itself works, Ive tested it in numberous missions. It is something with the server (cleanup probably) that is removing it.

Here is basically what I m doing for Notes Only.
http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33468.0

I will def check that "Clean Groups" section of the FSM tonight. Thanks!

By stop I guessed you mean commented out the init under

server_monitor.sqf - Like so
Code:
if (isDedicated) then {
    //_id = [] execFSM "\z\addons\dayz_server\system\server_cleanup.fsm";
};

Server would not load. "Requesting Authentication" then timeout.

EDIT: Server loaded once i actually uploaded the server pbo. Face Palm. Still, briefing is removed.

I wonder if it is the client side dayz thats removing it - i know you said its the server thats doing it, but:

You say the briefing is removed only when the server pbo is loaded, however a lot of dayz_code.pbo stuffs will never be called when the server pbo is not loaded (due to the public variables not being thrown across the network)

I would have thought that the only thing that would have removed the briefings in the server pbo would be the fsm.

I am wondering if it may have to do with an EH. Found this in server_functions.sqf

Code:
eh_localCleanup = {
    private ["_object"];
    _object = _this select 0;
    _object addEventHandler ["local", {
        if(_this select 1) then {
            private["_type","_unit"];
            _unit = _this select 0;
            _type = typeOf _unit;
            _myGroupUnit = group _unit;
            _unit removeAllMPEventHandlers "mpkilled";
            _unit removeAllMPEventHandlers "mphit";
            _unit removeAllMPEventHandlers "mprespawn";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "FiredNear";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "HandleDamage";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "Killed";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "Fired";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "GetOut";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "GetIn";
            _unit removeAllEventHandlers "Local";
            clearVehicleInit _unit;
            deleteVehicle _unit;
            deleteGroup _myGroupUnit;
            _unit = nil;
            diag_log ("CLEANUP: DELETED A " + str(_type) );
        };
    }];
};

From what i can tell, the only thing that calls eh_localCleanup is the Trap FSM (which seems to be the code behind the beartrap animation) - i assume the cleanup script is fired when a bear trap is taken by a player.

** edit **
TorturedChunk, look inside dayz_code.pbo\rscTitles.hpp
Line 187, the class there seems to delete a crap tonne of diary stuff - this is probs it.

Back