Help adding map markers for custom outposts....

DangerRuss

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
Searched the forums for map markers and markers and can't find a thread dedicated to the explanation of how to set these up. I gather it has something to do with the mission.sqm but that's about all I know. Can someone link me or give a quick explanation of what Id need to do? thanks

To add a marker, it would go in your mission.sqm under class Markers.

A new marker would look like:
Code:
        class Item9
        {
            position[]={13532.614,3.0083523,6355.9497};
            name="myCustomMarker";
            text="My Marker Text";
            type="mil_dot";
            colorName="ColorBlack";
        };
As an example.

The class of the marker, in this case Item9 has to be in order. So if you already have 8 markers and want to add a new one, it would be Item9, and so on.

The name doesn't matter unless you plan to call the location with a script, but it has to be unique to every marker you make.

The text is self explanatory.

The type can be changed to what you want, based on what the marker is marking.
A list of the types can be found here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/cfgMarkers

Ok man ill have a peek at it tonight!
Could you please clarify what you mean by all of the markers need a unique name? I was on player 2's server and all of the markers on the map were called "outpost" I believe.

The "text" is what the marker will actually say on the map (such as trader city 1) but the "name" is just a name. None of your players see it.

The names of the markers have to be unique, but the text can say whatever you want it to say, and can be the same for multiple markers. If you name a marker TraderCity, you can't name another marker the same, but you can make them both have the text Trade Here which is what it will say on the map next to the mark.

Alright 2 more questions.. those cords don't appear to be DayZ world cords, are they Arma cords? In other words, do I have to be on the map editor to obtain the coordinates I want?
Second question.. changing the text looks confusing... Looking at that link you gave me, how would I change the text using the marker example you provided? I don't necessarily need to change the marker appearance, one of those red or green blobs would suffice... I Don't even necessarily need to change the text but for future reference it would be nice to know. Thanks!

I assume you mean the mission.sqm in the root of my missions folder?

I added this entry #8 immediately following the already existing #7 entry
Code:
        class Item7
        {
            position[]={12048,0,8352};
            name="spawn5"; //spawn_berezino
            type="Empty";
        };
        class Item8
        {
            position[]={11491.7,11335.2,0.001};
            name="KlenBase";
            text="Military Stronghold";
            type="mil_dot";
            colorName="ColorBlack";
        };

There is no marker. What did I do incorrectly?
These coordinates were my world coordinates in the database.

I assume you mean the mission.sqm in the root of my missions folder?

I added this entry #8 immediately following the already existing #7 entry
Code:
        class Item7
        {
            position[]={12048,0,8352};
            name="spawn5"; //spawn_berezino
            type="Empty";
        };
        class Item8
        {
            position[]={11491.7,11335.2,0.001};
            name="KlenBase";
            type="mil_dot";
            colorName="ColorBlack";
        };

There is no marker. What did I do incorrectly?
These coordinates were my world coordinates in the database.

Try switching the 0.001 coord with 11335.2

Like this

class Item8
{
position[]={11491.7,0.001,11335.2};
name="KlenBase";
type="mil_dot";
colorName="ColorBlack";
};

That sometimes fixes it for me

HockeyGuy is correct. For worldspace, its x,y and height for z.
{x,y,z}

For markers, the y and z are flipped.
{x,z,y}

I flipped it, didn't work. Are these world coordinates or arma coordinates? am I supposed to leave out the beginning part of the world coordinates as I've already done?
As an example if I use these cords [308,[8704.81,2682.27,0.002]] ... would I leave that as is or make it ,[8704.81,2682.27,0.002]

[308,[8704.81,2682.27,0.002]] is

[Direction,[X,Y,Z]]

As long as you flipped them I'm not sure why it isn't working.

If you are trying to mark Klen then the coordinates should be
Code:
position[]={11447.91,317.27109,11364.536};

I think because i cut off the X part, similar to placing static AI. Ill use your coords and give it a shot thanks my friend. PS cool avatar!

They are coordinates from the 3d editor, but you should be able to use either.

Maybe you are forgetting to update the marker count?

class Markers
{
items=17;

for example.

I dont think so as you can see in my example it is #8 which is right after #7. #7 was already there ive never added markers before. I think ita because i left out the first part of the coords because they are in separate brackets. Ill try yours tonighy after work

Sorry for typos my phone is not so great

for future reference, how does one get the cords from the 2d editor? I logged on and tried a few different things including making a center,group, and a unit but couldn't find any world coordinates. Do I need to place a building or something? Just curious. I'd like to be independent with this so I don't have to ask for help when I make another marker :)

Back