Latest Overwatch News?

Kflo

Ok I am back after getting burnt out running a server. Shooting Blanks whats the latest news on Overwatch?

overwatch is still pretty much an unsupported mod. Still thoroughly enjoyable and I still run an overwatch server. It looks like Overpoch is the next big thing. Literally combines overwatch and epoch.

I also gave up the internet/computers/cell phones/tablets for about 6 weeks and devoted my time to work.
I had just posted on the Overwatch site that Scrumbee had never responded to any of our requests even after he made his own post saying he would allow others to continue with overwatch development.
So Overwatch is stagnant. I had actually switched to Epoch and then removed the majority of the traders, moved the remainder out of the 'trader cities' and placed them in more logical spots like the hospitals and general stores.

The problem I have with running epoch, is the economy system. People spend all their time earning money to buy stuff, and they get attached to said stuff. They feel like it's "theirs" and it creates this whiny attitude of entitlement. Im much more into the original style of dayz. Anyways, glad to see you back around shootingblanks.

As for overwatch, do we really need Scrumbee's permission to do anything with it? I mean, did the guys from overpoch ask for permission? The last time I went to check out the overwatch website, the monthly rent on the site was past due and the site was down. I had to pay money to get the website back up and running for a little while so I could access the forums.

The problem I have with running epoch, is the economy system. People spend all their time earning money to buy stuff, and they get attached to said stuff. They feel like it's "theirs" and it creates this whiny attitude of entitlement. Im much more into the original style of dayz. Anyways, glad to see you back around shootingblanks.

As for overwatch, do we really need Scrumbee's permission to do anything with it? I mean, did the guys from overpoch ask for permission? The last time I went to check out the overwatch website, the monthly rent on the site was past due and the site was down. I had to pay money to get the website back up and running for a little while so I could access the forums.
the new license lets you do pretty much whatever you want with any mod made for the arma engine :)

Sure you can do whatever you want with it, but if you can't get it released on Dayz Commander then its practically worthless. We can take Overwatch, tweak it for whatever we want and publish the files on a website for download by servers and clients. But the VAST MAJORITY of players will not download and install a mod from a website so you will have a very small player base.
The solution would be to make a frontend to automatically connect to a server and allow people to automatically download and install the files from your site .. this is what breaking point did. Again though you will only get those who actually go and find your website to download the frontend. I have the source to a frontend that can be customized to automatically start Arma and connect to your specific server, it is on Github https://github.com/azmodii/Painless_EpochTavi

Pwnoz0r was fooling with a "life" server and was using a program for Arma2 that creates its own repository and checks the clients computer to make sure the files match and will download required updates as needed. http://www.yomatools.be/ I think what I just said is true, I could be mistaken but something like this is what is needed if the frontend I pointed to above couldn't be modified to do work as required.

IMHO getting a mod on Dayz Commander is almost impossible for most people. So if we could just be 'given' Overwatch, we could just update the repository and it would be good to go.
A case study for difficulties getting on Dayz Commander can be found here and here. Not to mention that the Dayz Commander forums to request adding a mod appear to be dead.

Last edited:
Yea I just realized Overpoch isn't downloadable via DZC. Kinda sucks that dotJosh has all of our balls firmly in his grip. That is to say, if you want to have people on your server you NEED DZC. At least until Dayz Launcher catches on.

Dayz Launcher .. there you go, maybe it can be more "mod friendly" for server owners. I had not heard of it, looks like a positive step though.

Overpoch is just clients installing Epoch and Overwatch so they can use dayzcommander for that. The server runs epoch mainly but adds in the overwatch files. It has caught on I guess. As long as you make it clear to new players which mods they have to download, you could mix and match any of them and any map. When you start your server, it does make a difference the order you load the mods though, I can't recall if the "main mod" came first or last but it only takes a restart to figure out if its correct or not.

Dayz Launcher .. there you go, maybe it can be more "mod friendly" for server owners. I had not heard of it, looks like a positive step though.

Overpoch is just clients installing Epoch and Overwatch so they can use dayzcommander for that. The server runs epoch mainly but adds in the overwatch files. It has caught on I guess. As long as you make it clear to new players which mods they have to download, you could mix and match any of them and any map. When you start your server, it does make a difference the order you load the mods though, I can't recall if the "main mod" came first or last but it only takes a restart to figure out if its correct or not.
Ive not played overpoch, kinda sounds laggy to me but I see the attraction.
Yes I believe Macca started DayZ Launcher, and I personally like it better. It worked when DayZ Commander didn't, looks nice, and functions just as nicely as it looks!
When gamespy went down, and DZC hadn't updated, my server completely died. If you look at my gametracker you can see how dependent on DZC we all are. Its a shame to have all of our eggs in one basket.

Hello,

We are just writing this post to inform you that we have just started up a server. It is hosted in the UK and is high performance so you should not be getting any lag!

Here is the IP for our DayZ Server: 81.19.216.25:2420

Here is our TeamSpeak Server IP: 109.70.149.5:9991

Here is our website address: http://vortexgaming.guildlaunch.com/

If you are having issues joining our DayZ server, you will need to enter the IP into DayZ Launcher and join through that. Before that, however you will need to go into DayZ Commander and click on settings, and paste this --- -mod=@DayzOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch; --- into the additional launch parameters. (This should work as long as you have DayZ Mod version 1.8.1 , Epoch version 1.0.5.1 , Overwatch version 0.2.5 installed).

If you have anymore questions for us, feel free to join our TeamSpeak server, or post a reply to this topic so we can help you out.

Here are the main addons that we have on our DayZ Server:

- AI Missions

- Snap Build

- Self Blood Bag

- Tow/Lift

- No Plot Poles

- Take Clothes

- Custom Mapping

- Supply Drops

- Auto Refuel/Rearm/Repair

- Trader Safe Zones

- Custom Starting Gear

- Starter Package

- Animated Helicopter Crashes

- Roaming AI

- Parachute Spawn

Here is a lift of the items that you spawn in with when you first join the server and when you respawn:

- MK12 SPR

- 30Rnd. STANAG x3

- Bandage x4

- Beef Steak x2

- Blood Bag x1

- MakarovSD

- MakarovSD Mag. x4

- Painkillers x1

- Soda x2

- Night Vison

- Range Finders

- Hatchet

- Crowbar

- Etool

- GPS

- Hunting Knife

- Box of Matches

- Toolbox

- Terminal Pack (15 slots)

Here are the starter pack contents:

- SUV (Camo) with a key

Here is what you get if you register on our website:

- Safe x1

- 10oz Gold x5

Thank you for reading our post!

Vortex Gaming.
quit plugging your server in the wrong threads. there is a section for this http://opendayz.net/forums/dayz-overwatch-private-servers.192/

Back