Plans to hand over development?

nathan00107

Hi Buttface.

I was just wondering if you are giving someone else the permission to update DZAI? It would be sad to see such a great addon go to waste.

Thank you.

I am still finalizing my plans on what to do with DZAI. An announcement with more details will be made sometime next week to clarify things. Because of how busy I have been since the beginning of 2014, the only real difference you will notice going forward is that I will be around less.

All the updates I have made during what little free time I've had were to ensure that DZAI is unbreakable as possible no matter what future updates bring. The feature most likely to "break" is the dynamic weapon list since it reads the DayZ loot tables in a very specific way. However one of the most recent DZAI updates allows it to fall back on the prebuilt weapon tables if it can't read loot table data, so loot table structure changes are no longer a critical problem.

The second most likely feature to "break" is the static spawn system if another new map is released for DayZ since I have to manually create new spawn configs for every new map. DZAI can try to automatically generate static spawns for unrecognized maps but I've noticed it has some flaws especially for Napf and Sauerland, before I had released static spawn configs for them (ie: spawns being created on lakes or empty areas). For existing maps, static spawns are very unlikely to break.

The dynamic spawn system and helicopter AI patrols will work no matter what the future brings, so these features are unlikely to break either.

I am also planning on rolling out one last update to bring DZAI to version 2.0 next week, which includes fixes I consider high to critical importance. One of the fixes is something that Epoch users have been bugging me about for a long time so I will be glad to get that off my back (no, it's nothing related to buildings or walls, sorry).

For now, if any users wish to release their own updates or additions to DZAI, just post them on the DZAI forums for others to use. Just be prepared to offer support for content you release.

I will also be re-evaluating my decision to end development for DZAI in May 2014. Between now and then it's simply impossible for me to do anything, as I have made publicly known before, so essentially nothing has changed around here. You'll just see a lot less of me around here.

I really hope you find the time in May. I just want to say one thing, your addon has been an amazing asset to my server, and for this I cannot thank you enough. I wish you good luck for whatever you do now and I hope to see you back again soon.

I'd just like to echo the sentiments of nathan. It's a brilliant add-on which has brought so much fun and suspense to the servers I've played on and helped run. It's the first thing people mention when they've had an hour or two on our current server and whether DZAI comes to a halt or not, it's made a lasting impression. Thanks very much and good luck.

Thanks Buttface for the amazing addon that has provided hours and hours of entertainment. Don't let the whiners get you down. :)

I'd just like to echo the sentiments of nathan. It's a brilliant add-on which has brought so much fun and suspense to the servers I've played on and helped run. It's the first thing people mention when they've had an hour or two on our current server and whether DZAI comes to a halt or not, it's made a lasting impression. Thanks very much and good luck.
Lets face it, DayZ Mod doesn't update very much anymore so DZAI will still be compatible for a LONG time, and when DayZ does update, I'm sure someone will make it compatible.

Sry to hear u have to stop ,and i know so much todo so less time
Any ways DZAI is the best AI addon , that said THX
(for the AI that constantly is on my ass ( and the other players :eek: ))

Just wanted to add to the others thanks for creating and supporting this. My only regret is I didn't put it on my server sooner. I was using SARGE for so long and was too lazy to switch everything over. But when I did, WOW... the difference is night and day. DZAI is so much more realistic and intense. I hope you will eventually continue to update it or if you cannot, someone else will pick up the torch and carry it even further! Im not worried about anything breaking since I run vanilla DayZ, and I think the devs are far too busy w/ Standalone + Rocket stepping down , to worry about the mod any more.

Back