This has all gotten extremely out of hand.
I do not speak for Ersan, but I will come in peace as a representative of DayZ.ST to try to return some balance to this thread. We never asked for any posts to be removed or censored, in fact I've asked CommanderRetra to restore any and all posts relevant to the conversation (at his discretion of course).
While I don't doubt the validity of Ersan's initial findings, people can be wrong. Based on the information he collected there was clear evidence to believe that Vilayer was not being forthwith about the true locations of some of their advertised locations.
Avid_Gamer has come forward with information supporting Vilayer's having a presence in the locations, which I will also support as being factual.
A traceroute and whois lookup confirm that they have a presence in New York at 23.229.0.3 with ServerMania who does offer DDoS protection on their page. Servermania.com does indeed appear to be colocating with colocrossing.com
Code:
11. ae-81-81.csw3.NewYork1.Level3.net 0.0% 15 75.4 79.3 72.5 102.2 9.0
12. ae-82-82.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net 0.0% 15 75.0 86.8 74.2 132.0 15.2
13. ae-4-4.car2.Buffalo1.Level3.net 0.0% 15 74.9 85.1 73.7 116.8 13.9
14. GIGLINX-INC.car2.Buffalo1.Level3.net 0.0% 15 78.9 79.1 68.6 99.0 8.3
15. host.colocrossing.com 0.0% 15 79.0 82.2 76.9 90.7 4.7
16. 192.186.136.246 0.0% 15 86.3 79.7 73.9 89.1 5.6
17. 23.229.0.3 0.0% 15 86.7 82.9 73.7 108.3 10.0
Code:
NetRange: 23.229.0.0 - 23.229.0.7
CIDR: 23.229.0.0/29
OriginAS:
NetName: NET-23-229-0-0-1
NetHandle: NET-23-229-0-0-2
Parent: NET-23-229-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
RegDate: 2013-10-28
Updated: 2013-10-28
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-23-229-0-0-2
CustName: Vilayer LTD
Address: 13 Thorndale RD
City: Liverpool
StateProv: MERSEYSIDE
PostalCode: L22 9QP
Country: GB
RegDate: 2013-10-28
Updated: 2013-10-28
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/customer/C04746117
A traceroute and whois confirm that they have an Amsterdam, NL presence at 5.79.78.89 with Leaseweb who does not offer any type of DDoS protection that I'm aware of. In fact, we have a few dedicated servers in that same datacenter.
Code:
7. te1-3.msc1.wdc.leaseweb.net 0.0% 14 77.3 73.6 63.1 104.6 12.1
8. ???
9. 31.31.32.29 0.0% 13 153.3 164.2 151.0 203.1 17.4
10. 5.79.79.231 0.0% 13 153.1 167.5 153.1 203.9 16.0
11. hosted-by.leaseweb.com 5.79.78.89 0.0% 13 154.3 162.7 151.9 181.0 10.0
Code:
inetnum: 5.79.64.0 - 5.79.123.255
netname: LEASEWEB
descr: LeaseWeb
descr: P.O. Box 93054
descr: 1090BB AMSTERDAM
descr: Netherlands
descr: www.leaseweb.com
remarks: Please send email to "[email protected]" for complaints
remarks: regarding portscans, DoS attacks and spam.
country: NL
admin-c: LSW1-RIPE
tech-c: LSW1-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: OCOM-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
Now, as to why there were DNS names pointing to servers listed as being in one location but obviously being in another, I don't know why that is. Only Vilayer can answer that question. I don't doubt that they have servers in New York or Amsterdam at this point.
I believe that when observations or facts are presented everyone should have a chance to defend themselves and be rightly provided with an opportunity to voice their opinion. I feel bad that Avid_Gamer was initially squelched, whether it having been for his perceived attitude or otherwise. We did not and will never request that criticism of our services, our practices, or our opinions be censored. We're happy to defend ourselves where necessary and accept constructive criticism in an effort to find ways to improve our services and our clients' experience.
We did not post this initial thread, we did not choose the topic or name of this thread, Ersan merely responded as it was pointed out to us via Skype. We have no reason or desire to go around name calling, or astroturfing. We believe in healthy competition because it drives us to release new features and better offerings. Each GSP has their pros and cons.
As to Ersan's post that began all this vitriol, he stated an opinion and the information he was able to collect. I don't think he was attempting to sway customers to use our services when he did so. I believe if he'd have known that it would be perceived that way he would have posted the same information anonymously.
I must point out one thing in ending this post, and I'm not doing it to bolster us in any way. Vilayer currently appears to have a mistake on their ordering page
http://i.imgur.com/oPTrrCe.png showing that they have "SEC-LAYER ANTI-DDOS" in their Amsterdam, NL location. If the IP provided above is representative of that location, and it is hosted with Leaseweb as I have confirmed, then there is no DDoS protection provided by Leaseweb and Vilayer's ordering page may need to be updated/corrected.
I'll be tracking this thread for a bit and actively responding to any requests for information and/or replies to any representative from Vilayer or otherwise. I've also attempted to contact Lee via Skype and Teamspeak to try and calm the waves.
BP from DayZ.ST
tl;dr We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning.