[Resources] - Introduction to Scripting

CommanderRetra

Staff member
============================ Introduction ============================
Engine (Real Virtuality):

ArmA uses the Real Virtuality game engine. Real Virtuality has been developed for over 10 years. The engine has often been used in military training simulators all around the world and all of the Bohemia Interactive video games since Operation Flashpoint. The engine features realistic day/night cycles, varying weather, a view distance of up to 15 kilometres and these are just some of the minor aspects of the engine. Every weapon in the game fires projectiles with real trajectories, drop off and penetration characteristics, all data was gathered from testing each gun individually and measuring; the impact, range and bullet drop as accurately as possible.

The performance of the engine is only limited to the performance of the computer. This gives users the freedom of having a wide range of different scenarios to be played. The engine calculates all events dynamically, this caries from unit’s speech, AI decisions and how they respond to different situations. One of the primary reasons as to why the Real Virtuality game engine is so special is because of it’s to give users the freedom to move their units head independently to their body/weapon. This simple feature adds realism, which many game engines miss by not adding such a simple feature. The engine is up to its fourth version (ArmA 3) since its initial release in 2001.

Scripting language:

Real Virtuality is a very open game engine, and with the scripting language it really opens up many possibilities. The game was designed to have the ability to edit it and mod it. The scripting language is heavily based upon bits and pieces of C#, C++ and Java. This language allows users to control and influence the behaviour of the game engine. The structure is similar to commonly used programming languages (C#, C++, Java). The scripting language was designed to be very simple yet limitless for the user/scripter. Realistically you don’t need any requirements or prior knowledge of programming, it’s designed to be practically idiot proof. All you need is patience and the will to learn.

You did a great job with this thread! This is an amazing resource for the community! It should be a requirement for server owners, that plan to add scripts to their server, to read through this thread.

Best thread ever ! So glad i found it. The ArmA2.Script.Compiler.v.0.1 was something i need :)
Just a quick question..even with the Compiler its a b....h to test code i've written...Isn't there a faster way to test stuff, for example when i create an igame menu right now i write the code, check it with the compiler for errors then i have to compile the mission, run the server, go ingame and see if it works...if not i gottta close the server edit it and redo the whole process again...making a simple comma error take 1.5m to test to see what the final result in game is :(

From what i realized arma engine is not 'on the fly' code like PHP for example. Cant i just, i dont know...inject stuff and test it on the fly ? Like make a dynamic .sqf file that i can edit it on the spot and test ingame ?

-Thanks

Do you mean the Arma Editor ? Cause with that i could never preview the MP missions..i had to start a server and then join it to test...I wish i could preview the map as in SP...that would make it so much easier :/

Sorry to bother you again, but after today i'll either stop scripting or start screaming...Took me 8h to figure out a simple mistake in a function i wrote that was breaking Combat roll and i didnt know why. It took me forever to save/compile/load server/join with client/test the function.../quit/start all over again.

You mentioned that we can test things in the Editor...Can i write for example a Rollout menu function...like,.. Dance for example, over fire....and test this on the editor ? Without running a server and join with a client ?
Like actually having the .sqf open on my notepad, edit and save, then reload on the editor and hit preview ? oO (of cource loading the whole mission folder 1st, and editing the corresponding .sqf file from there.. )

Yes you can although I suggest you just use the standard editor without dayz launched. So you would create a folder in your mission folder, and name it something like blah.Chernaurus

Back