Setting Up Buildings in the DB using 3d Editor

Mateo

What is the best way to get buildings into the database. I seen plesker's (sp?) vehicle import script but that doesn't work with buildings. Is there any efficient way to take the simple mission.sqm with my placed buildings and get them injected into the db, or do I need to manually convert the worldspaces and enter them into the db.

Well, Bliss has a built in component within the DB to generate the buildings. It does this so the mission can be customized once, without having to remerge changes whenever there is an update to the mission file. Also, players don't have to download a larger mission file when they first join, taking precious server resources to a game that already has performance issues.

Makes sense now, I need to learn more :) Although the mission file is no issue, unless you have a constant activity of connects / disconnects from players, but they just don't play the game that way.

I think spawning in to much from db is alot of traffic, also who knows what the end is, some people might not see these objects (which is possible) or something might fail and it doesn't load, requiring restarts.

Stick to solid mission buildings for custom content.

Another issue for using the db tabl is that there is no way to put in a init on the building. As the ground is allmost never completely flat, hence I usually put in an init to get the building in level:
Code:
init="this setVectorUp [0.0001,0.0001,1];";

Another method (but needs client to update code) is to use gita or Town Generator which is how rocket populated all the wrecks and rubbish into the Chernarus, it has the logic to seek flat ground. This might likely be a more optimized way of building placement, but I could not be bothered to come up with the reg ex to convert formats, so for Celle I just kept used the editor.

I have heard quite a few people say the mission file should not be the source of post island creation building placements, but I don't think BI would have designed and released an editor if said editors outcome causes performance issues. There are a lot more things going on that can degrade performance then a mission file.

Well, thanks for the information in this thread. Very helpful. I will just use the mission file in the future instead then. Also, I am finding out, managing the buildings and integrating fixes or changes into the db is a damn near impossibility to manage it manually. Far simply to just merge the changes into the mission file.

Yeah Mateo i mean if you are not really confident with mission editing then just use the database way, this is why they probably did it aswell.
But if can do it in the mission it is better.

Once the person has downloaded the pbo mission from the server, that's it.
You don't have to worry about any issues that might occur in the DB and of course using the mission editor makes the mission a big bigger, but even if you had a 150kb file - it's less than the average high res png you see in peoples sigs in forums.

You can also use the merge function to merge missions.

A mission.sqm can be passed as a launch parameter too (to open it up directly in the editor).

Since I added buildings into the mission file there has been no changes in it, so I think it is safe to just copy mission.sqm over from old mission file to the new one after an upgrade.

Mission editing is better then the DB for the following reasons.

1. You can use the alt+E editor for exact placements of buildings
  2. no schema issues // errors
  3. Merging is very fast once you get the hang of it
The db is great for tampering with 1-2 buildings, but past that I would stick to the mission editor

I added some buildings in the editor, works great. But how do i add a supermarket? I can't seem to find it.

search armaholic for editor addons that include all the buildings.

The supermarket object name is Land_A_GeneralStore_01

I can't find the concrete steps and platforms for the supermarket as in Cherno and Berezino. Anyone have the lead on those items?

Back