Short nights, long dayz

Yea id really like an answer to this. Another thought i had, would it be possible to accelerate time? You could have your server start at 3 in the afternoon and speed up time so its dark for maybe an hour or so before the restart.

When Genesis goes live, you can snatch our day/night "system", that however is based on restarts, and really only works really well with short server restarts like epoch or overwatch to some extend.

thanks in advance.

From what the dayz.st admins tell me the short day function isn't working cause namalsk 0.75 runs on an outdated code. But still, that would not account for the fact that summer solstice doesn't work right?

@Spectrez, this comp wont let me reply so had to tag your name as such.

Could you be more specific? I run vanilla dayz but I run 4 hour restarts. Is that what you mean by short restarts? thanks

I would like dayz.st to add more option to the control panel. Adjusting the hours of dark per 24hr day would be best. I would like an 18hr day and 6hr night cycle, or a 20 and 4

I don't understand why it can't have a configuration of a 3 hr day and a 1 hr night. If they were able to set up "Short Day" to start at 4 p.m. just push it back 2 hours to have the server start at 2 p.m. or even 3 p.m. every restart and name it a "Short Night" option. I restart every 4 hours so it would be perfect.

yes, yes it would. However, dayz.st does not give you access to the hiveini.

Where I rent now, I get full access, and even set up a 6 restarts day, 1 restart night cycle.

I don't like the long ass sunsets though. Sunset is the most annoying time to play because of the glare and the shadows. I want something like accelerated time. Ive given up on this anyway as most pub players are wimps and quit when it gets dark out even if you give them
NVG's

I don't like the long ass sunsets though. Sunset is the most annoying time to play because of the glare and the shadows. I want something like accelerated time. Ive given up on this anyway as most pub players are wimps and quit when it gets dark out even if you give them
NVG's

Because 90% of DayZ player want E-Z mode on. Quite a shame. I've noticed that grown, adults, usually people 30+ are the only ones that really play the game with any level of maturity. Nighttime...that's life...that's the way the world works. Either piss off like a crybaby when night time rolls around or stay and play. To many players like to cry and log off when night cycle comes around...

Well now ... I am SURE you could start your server at anytime and have a script that runs after 3 hours, gives a title message ... "night is coming" and then sets the server time for dark. Then the server restarts after an hour or two of night. Best to give the message at the twilight so at least players have a visual clue its getting late.
The server uses the setdate function but maybe skiptime would be more useful https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/skipTime
as this comment suggests
To simulate a smooth time-lapse effect (e.g. in cut-scenes), you can use the following code: while {true} do {skiptime 0.00333; sleep 0.1}

If I get some time I will test it out ...

Well now ... I am SURE you could start your server at anytime and have a script that runs after 3 hours, gives a title message ... "night is coming" and then sets the server time for dark. Then the server restarts after an hour or two of night. Best to give the message at the twilight so at least players have a visual clue its getting late.
The server uses the setdate function but maybe skiptime would be more useful https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/skipTime
as this comment suggests
To simulate a smooth time-lapse effect (e.g. in cut-scenes), you can use the following code: while {true} do {skiptime 0.00333; sleep 0.1}

If I get some time I will test it out ...
good luck, people are still going to mass quit when it becomes night, unless you've got an older group of regulars.

Oh absolutely they will quit.
I rather gave up hosting actual servers where I care if anyone plays, I now keep 1 server that I just use as a 'sandbox' for whatever map or mod strikes me as interesting at the moment. So go ahead and quit players I DARE YOU!!! :)

A certain effect was asked for (or asked if it was possible). Whether anyone uses it or it chases away players in general wasn't the question.
Some server owners would rather have some type of reality even if it does affect the number of players. Don't forget, servers are hosted for the server owners enjoyment .. if the players like it too, that is just a side benefit but its not the reason the server exists.

here is a starter script that has some issues that need worked out. On my way to work for a few hours so will get back to this later if nobody picks it up and runs with it.
exec this script from your init.sqf file.

Code:
if (isserver) then{
_wait = 180;
titleText ["", "BLACK FADED", 0];
titleText ["NIGHT IS COMING\NIt only lasts an hour so enjoy it while it lasts", "BLACK IN", 5];
sleep _wait;
        _date = [2013,8,3,23,45];
        setDate _date;
        PVDZE_plr_SetDate = _date;
        publicVariable "PVDZE_plr_SetDate";
        diag_log ("TIME SYNC: Local Time set to " + str(_date));   
};
the issues are:

I had to disable setdate in dayz_server/player_sync.sqf because after five minutes it would set the players time back to daylight.

I forgot this was running on the server so my little Titletext is printed on the server, not the clients.

A problem I had with the time acceleration, that may or may not be an issue with your script.... if the server was night time, and a player died, they would respawn and it would be daylight for about 10 minutes until they synced again and then it would be instantly night. I never saw a fix for this.

Not sure if this will help but I did some tests with several different dates and estimated about when the sun would come up and set. This was on dayz 1.8.1 by changing the date in the server pbo. It might help some people just thought I'd share what I tested out date wise for finding the shortest night time via dates.

Some dates that I forgot to track the moon:
6/21/2003
dawn: 0300
Dusk: 1800

6/21/2004
Dusk: 1900
Dawn: 0200

6/20/2008
Dawn: 0300
Dusk: 2000

6/22/2005
Dusk: 1900
Dawn: 0400

Tested dates 6/20/2000 - 6/20/2020 (summer solstice dates; may be a day or 2 off)
Most days did not have moon out. Below are some dates I liked. Dates were tested by cycling through every year at set date at 2300 (time chosen to look for moon out).

6/20/2001
dusk @ 2100 | moon @ 2250 | Dawn @ 0240 | ~ Night time 6 hours & 18 hours day.

6/6/2013 (I think this is the default full moon date or maybe I switched it through stupidity)
dusk @ 1930 | dawn @ 0330 | moon @ 2220 | ~ 6 hours night & 18 hours day

6/20/2000 <- Think this is the best date
Dusk @ 2200 | Dawn @ 0300 | moon @ 2250 | ~ Night time 5 hours & 19 hours day.

** EDIT ** I just thought about this now, but when I was testing the times, I would have been testing the mornings for the prior date and not the next day... not sure if it matters at all but should take that into consideration. I just did a quick observation and created some fairly accurate numbers.

Last edited:
Because 90% of DayZ player want E-Z mode on. Quite a shame. I've noticed that grown, adults, usually people 30+ are the only ones that really play the game with any level of maturity. Nighttime...that's life...that's the way the world works. Either piss off like a crybaby when night time rolls around or stay and play. To many players like to cry and log off when night cycle comes around...

90% of most online gamers either want "pay-to-win" or EZ-mode. you can see this by the rise of PVE and server with restrictions so tight that makes me laugh that they call it PVP. "God-bases" "no crashing on to bases" "no camping". Blame today's producers of games. $$ today = bad character development of the gamer of tomorrow.

Back