Storage solutions for DayZ Vanilla 1.8.0.3

Constrictor

I am running DayZ 1.8.0.3 on a private hive on DayZ.ST and have not made any modifications to the tent and stash storage scripting of the game. I do have Daimyo21/SeedweedUK/Rosska85's Base Building 1.3 enabled by the way.

The problem I have is that players are hoarding vehicles because the default tent placement of 1.8.0.3 is, as most people have come to realize, really buggy and pretty much useless. Trying to deploy a tent ends up cancelling on most attempts because it fails the placement check and players would rather not be bothered trying over and over to place tents. I could foresee unless I come up with another solution either no vehicles left from the hoarding or a never ending increase to vehicle counts.

I am aware that the tent's coordinate becomes the GUID for the tent and the two must match in order for the tent's inventory to be updated in the database. Is there any adjustment to the placement checking that can be made to allow a tent to be put in a specific spot and that it correctly generate the GUID from that placement and the tent still be update-able?

Another thought I had is that it seems that the stash placement follows the older tent placement mechanic in that it doesn't have the player move around to place the object and spin it with keys like the tent placement mechanic; is it possible to return the tents to this kind of placement system?

I am aware that the tent's coordinate becomes the GUID for the tent and the two must match in order for the tent's inventory to be updated in the database. Is there any adjustment to the placement checking that can be made to allow a tent to be put in a specific spot and that it correctly generate the GUID from that placement and the tent still be update-able?

Actually tents and stashes don't use objectuid in 1.8, they use it when they are first built, however after the next restart _idkey is used which is the id column from the database (and can never change). I believe there might be a duping problem with removing tents which have just been built without a server restart and are still using objectuid. I can't remember exactly now but I remember changing something.

I wouldn't worry too much anyway as thats fixed in the 1.8.1 patch which has to be out before gamespy shuts down at the end of the month.

For building tents or stashes anywhere like pre 1.8, you can just force object_build to think every location is ok.

Add this:
_inside = false;

Before:
if (!_inside) then {

Basebuilding leads to vehicle and item hoarding in general in the long term, its not a very balanced addon at the moment past a certain amount of playtime. We had to limit people to 3 vehicles per flag in the end and they still rarely drive the rare ones.

So what I did, double check my scripting method if you don't mind!?!:

Extracted the object_build from the dayz_code and put it in my dayz_code\actions folder and made the edit you suggested. I then changed the paths (2 of them) in the player_build to point at the new file location.

Everything appears to work with the tents, and like a charm I can place tents exactly where I want them.

I still would like to find something to give players for storage with a grater capacity than tents, or even Urals to help with the hoarding, but at least for now they can set tents in a way that maximizes space!

I also tested remove of base building items and discovered a problem that s unrelated, but you probably can help. I will read the forums for BB 1.3 also... haven't yet since I just ran across this:

Base building objects can be built and removed just fine by players during the same server run time. I have verified the db lines in the instance_deployables is created and removed. However after a restart the player can remove the object in game and it disappears, but the db line is not removed and is back after the next restart.

Thanks so much for your advise and help!

I also tested remove of base building items and discovered a problem that s unrelated, but you probably can help. I will read the forums for BB 1.3 also... haven't yet since I just ran across this:

Base building objects can be built and removed just fine by players during the same server run time. I have verified the db lines in the instance_deployables is created and removed. However after a restart the player can remove the object in game and it disappears, but the db line is not removed and is back after the next restart.

Thanks so much for your advise and help!

Sounds like a problem with your server_monitor. Assuming you can build objects and remove them within the same restart, and they are both added and removed from the database.

If removal isn't working after a server restart something in server_monitor must be causing the problem, quite possibly the objectuid. BB 1.3 stores the uid in the inventory array and uses that to set the objectuid. We didn't know about _idkey being used after restart instead of uid at the time, or it would work differently.

I would guess that your server_monitor isn't assigning the same uid as your player_build/remove are using if the object isn't being removed but couldn't say for sure without more info. The BB 1.3 thread is the best place to ask.

Back