Tutorial series for Installing and Fixing scripts

ShootingBlanks

OpenDayZ Guru!
I have noticed that a lot of people are trying to install scripts or fix broken servers and really don't know what to do or where to look for answers. This is a difficult thing to learn because you not only have to learn the sqf syntax but you also need to know how the server files work together.

Since we see the same questions again and again, I decided I am going to make a tutorial series to help new admins install, configure and debug their servers. Each video will be short, 2-5 minutes and talk about a single subject. The text for that posting will have links to the files and any of the other written tutorials I can find on this website.

Some of the planned subjects
  1. Programs you should have installed and how to use them.
  2. Locations of the mission, server files and the log files.
  3. How to find errors in your RPT (log files)
  4. Basic SQF syntax to avoid creating errors.
  5. Installing specific scripts. Will include working pbos.
    1. Self-bloodbag
    2. Auto refuel
    3. towing/heli lifting
    4. base building
    5. debug monitor
    6. Sarge AI
    7. DZAI
    8. AI missions with DZMS
    9. Addon cities/buildings
    10. Custom loot tables
    11. How to unban vehicles/weapons from Dayz 1.8.0.3
  6. In depth on specific syntax subjects.

Suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking for Custom loot tables.
I built some buildings and not have loot in them.

Make tutorials videos, it is better to understand.

Thats that plan, videos showing exactly how to do it. We have to have some text also in the video and on the post so people who do not speak english can use them also.

I have been busy doing selfish things the last few days .. rebuilding my website and I have Dayz servers running Overwatch and Epoch running now on Linux VPS servers. I had 3 running today simultaneously with a handful of playtesters and it was smooth and responsive.

Suggestion: a tutorial on a script for disabling voice in side chat or kicking players to lobby (after warnings) for talking in side.

1) Setting up new dayz server locally on a computer. I have seen a couple people try to set up a server on their computer so they can mod it before making a dedicated host. Some people don't even know you need to set up a MySql database.

2) Explaining the custom scripts that (for example but not limited to) selfBB would use. So explaining about the self actions and such, then explaining scripts that would modify it after.

I think those two ideas would be nice :) Oh and also, you should explain the addPublicVariableEventHandle function ;D

Sorry for dragging my feet on this, I have been working on a non-dayz project and my attention was diverted. I have about 8 online right now and am adding daily. the link to the actual forum is
http://iaretech.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=8

If you want to post/question/comment you will have to register an account which is as simple as it gets as you don't need any email verification or anything. Just register and then login.

All the suggestions will be included I hope and there should be about 20 videos by the end of this weekend. I was taking too much time at the beginning and was trying to create a set of files to go along with each video and .. well .. it was just time consuming to try and make sure there were no errors in the provided files. So now I am just doing the videos and there is some text along with it and maybe some files or links to where you can get the files (I have to go back and add the files for the videos i have already posted).

So far I have uploaded the following videos. They are not meant to be entertaining, they are meant to just show you exactly how to install or edit scripts and/or break fix your server.
  1. Dayz Scripting basics
  2. Basics of files and folders (locations of important files/folders)
  3. fn_selfactions and addaction
  4. fix the "You cannot play/edit this mission" error message
  5. Dynamic weather
  6. Time errors (time changes a few minutes after player joins)
  7. self bloodbag script installed
  8. R3F towing and logistics installed
  9. Remove debris and change the loading screen
  10. Create your own Private Server
The way I am doing this is when someone asks me a question or I am fooling with someones server, I just turn on the camstudio and record the process. So its basically Live video so you have to excuse my occasional errors, mental confusion, kids, dogs, wife, TV, mouse wheel and air conditioner.

Does anyone have an idea how to unban weapons/vehicles in v0.75 Namalsk (dayz code v1.7.7.1) . I have been looking for it a long time ago and the most tuts said that there is no way to unban stuff so that players dont have to download your client. Tutorial in this would be great

I also make some systemchat commands in the Script so I know which ways the Script is going or even broke. Helping me a lot :D

Back