Would Like to Start Scripting...

havok

I am a php/javascript developer, and am not sure if that is the right kind of experience to start with? I can follow the code for the most part, but I guess I am looking for a way to get the 'big picture' behind the scripting used for Epoch - any suggestions?

Become familiar with the BI Wiki if you haven't already: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Special:Search

If you understand all the Arma2 scripting commands being used in the code you read, you'll be able to quickly piece together all the pieces and the "big picture" you're looking for.

Edit: As for my background, I have little programming experience other than a few introductory courses in a few languages (Pascal, Java, C). Nothing more advanced than intro to data types, loops, and conditional statements. The BI Wiki has been my most valuable resource for scripting so far.

Last edited:
I came from PHP to this, and its pretty closely related. Once you learn the small syntax changes you should be able to do it pretty easily.

Sounds great. Thanks for the feedback.
With all that in mind, I think what I really need to figure out are things like the file structure, what needs to be server-side as opposed to client, and the global objects/object variables that are floating around out there.

Also database CRUDs...I need to clear some things up, such as how to call them and when.

Thanks again, guys!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

This might sound silly, but is the general practice to open the mission in the Arma 2 editor and you your scripting there?

I'm trying to figure out how to determine what native variables exist in the mod,so if you have any links or info for m e, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Back