DayZ origins?

How awesome would it be, if you could type in: "move bush" when standing next to some bush (besides, noone told you that you could do that to the bush!) and behind the bush is suddenly a path that you can enter to some kind of area that drops some gear of some sort... lets say a PDW this time..

I seem to remember they were called secrets, the thing that got me hooked on gaming in the first place.. Random hidden stuff that is sadly lacking from todays gameplay..

I seem to remember they were called secrets, the thing that got me hooked on gaming in the first place.. Random hidden stuff that is sadly lacking from todays gameplay..

aka easter eggs!

There's a rock in taviana, a tunnel in namalsk and a 'bat cave' in celle. They are there! :p

Axeman: What you seek is exactly what i want to re-add to the game. As I mentioned arcticmud.org:2700 has those qualities. It has that, because, it is an old txt MUD. A DikuMUD derivative. It has ripened ever since 1992, and I played it since 1996. The game-logic and system behind that game is perfect for a balanced pvp/adventure setting with AI quests.

I want to make 1-2 servers with a little world with a player base of 100-200 people. maybe i would add 3-4 servers :)

I know arctic is a dragonlance based MUD but it has so many adventure elemenents that todays games lack. This is THE game I would turn to for inspiration on how to make a pvp system that HURTS if you do something wrong but not utterly destroys you.

We figured the game logic behind the game like this:
To figure out your characters strenght attribute at level 2:
1 remove all your gear
2 find a low level target such as a mouse or a cockroach.
3 watch the output, how hard did you hit? bruise 1-2 damage barely hit 2-3 damage hit 3-4 damage
4 calculate +str damage bonus to estimate STR attribute.

(5 levels later, at 7th level, its possible to recite a scroll of legend lore on yourself to get your stats known. This normally takes around 10 hours to obtain that level.)

--------------------------------------------------------

in one quest, there are two wheels, each containing 8 fields. There are clues to which fiels should be aligned how. But still, you have to figure that out to open the "bat cave door" etc.. "open sesame" rarely works :(

There are places, where you have to pull a tiny string, to reveal a hatch in the ceiling. You can climb up there and find a guy who is selling instructions on how to pick locks! The information obtained about this, you better keep to yourself! Otherwise, someoen will be camping this skillmaster or, steal your cars after picking its locks! Oh wait.. there is the "hotwiring" skill aswell..

Both are skills that act versus a certain difficulty of lock.
Lets say its a hard to crack lock, such as a SUV lock.
90% lock power 0.90
a level 5 character with lockpick skill at <awfull> level (yes, we dont use numerical values, we use awefull to indicate that a persons skill_level is between 0.01 and 0.07.
There shall be a roof over the max_skill_level a character can archieve depending on the characters level. Therefore a level 5 character cannot be godlike at picking locks or hotwiring cars :)

Lets say the guy has 0.07 % chance to open a 100% power lock. So we get 0.07% x 0.90 = 0,063 eg. 6.3% chance for the player to open the lock of a locked car... tent... base-gate whatever...

Then we add some element of randomness and a limit, that a player can only attempt this once every 10 minuttes of real time.

And, on a succesfull lockpick, there is a change that the skill_level goes up one notch.

Skills are depicted as following:
awfull
v.bad
bad
v.poor
poor
belov.average
average
fair
good
v.good
excelent
superb
superior

Same are weaponskills.
As it is possible to make 3dp aiming useless by removing the crosshair, it would be possible add pain effects to "aiming situations" meaning, that a low gun_skill player has more "pain effect" shaking and difficulty aiming.

Level loss and xp gains.
some xp shall be gained form quests, zombie kills and bandit kills
bambi kills shall be punished a tad bit.
on death an xp loss shall occour
equal to dx/dy <-- just kidding

xp loss on death: between 1/3 to 2/3rds of the XP required to reach the current next level.

Which means, that you can sometimes actually loose a level! Hide your head in shame will you?!?

Loosing a level, remember, means that maximum skill level possible drops! So, its not something to take likely!

Loose 6 levels at any time in the game and your character is permanently deleted.

The purpose of doing things is to satisfy a desire or necessity. My oversimplification:

You either do this because it brings you or others pleasure of some kind. You do this for monetary purposes. - Or a combination of both.

I think the key is to determine WHY you do what you do and not be concerned with others. Liars, thieves and cheats exist and will always exist. But again, set your goals - If that means butting heads with these types, then go for it. But if your goal is to create something you, your friends and/or the general population can enjoy regardless of credit/fame... Then you can ignore them and be on your merry way.

PERSONALLY - I do not have coding skills, I admire the hard work all of you have put into your creations. But in the end, happiness is an internal state - If you seek money: find a way to make it profitable. If its fame: Find a way to get YOUR work out there, so YOU can be recognized for it. But if its just a drive to create new things and watch people have fun with it... I don't need to tell you twice, most of you have made some awesome things that TONS of people enjoy even without knowing or acknowledging the creators.

In the end, do it for yourself. If you're unsatisfied, there's always other ways to make it enjoyable or just find something else that makes you happy.

Cheers,

Manatee

The purpose of doing things is to satisfy a desire or necessity. My oversimplification:

You either do this because it brings you or others pleasure of some kind. You do this for monetary purposes. - Or a combination of both.

I think the key is to determine WHY you do what you do and not be concerned with others. Liars, thieves and cheats exist and will always exist. But again, set your goals - If that means butting heads with these types, then go for it. But if your goal is to create something you, your friends and/or the general population can enjoy regardless of credit/fame... Then you can ignore them and be on your merry way.

PERSONALLY - I do not have coding skills, I admire the hard work all of you have put into your creations. But in the end, happiness is an internal state - If you seek money: find a way to make it profitable. If its fame: Find a way to get YOUR work out there, so YOU can be recognized for it. But if its just a drive to create new things and watch people have fun with it... I don't need to tell you twice, most of you have made some awesome things that TONS of people enjoy even without knowing or acknowledging the creators.

In the end, do it for yourself. If you're unsatisfied, there's always other ways to make it enjoyable or just find something else that makes you happy.

Cheers,

Manatee

Perfect way to conclude this thread.

Back