I understand the frustrations, but enabling modding for our pre-alpha and alpha stages just complicates matters - even on simple things like "is this a bug with the game, or with a mod?". KSP, for example, is awesome with mods - but I myself often struggle with bugs and it can be hard to figure out if it is a problem with the game, or a mod. KSP has the advantage of being a single-player game as well.
I honestly feel like if we did not achieve some "big wins" on the hacking and security front, the game would not succeed at all no matter *what* else we put in it.
Rest assured that I am documenting everything I need to, as I go, so that when we do release required tools - the documentation will be there. I am also a big fan of, until we get the tools out there, approaching some of the big modding/mapmaker groups and working together to try and "fill the gap" until we can open it right out. A good example would be some user created maps ported/supported etc... by Bohemia.
I guess I just wanted to say, I hear what you guys are saying and I really want to stress that modding is something we want to do. But I can't stress enough how important it is that we make it stable, and make it secure.