[IDEA] POWER GRIDS (Street Lights)

Dusty Nuttles

Valued Member!
I've had this idea now for about 4 years now.

We'll need specific and/or additional tools with maybe some custom parts added for repairing the power grids. Once the power grids are up and running, street lights in the respective towns can be powered with a flick of a switch. Sabotage the grid post-repair and the system goes down. Maybe certain grids need to be daisy-chained together so power can get to that town increasing the difficulty and time investment.

There was something similar to this in an old DayZ mod, (I forget which one exactly) but you could repair the generator/switching site and the local street lamps would fire up. This would be an excellent addition to SA.

I was looking at the construction lights that currently spawn in game, if there was a way and I'm sure there's a way to edit them to think the have a generator attached and edit the appearance to just the bulb then they could be placed in the offline editor and line them up on the street lamps would take ages to do every bulb but if the editing of the bulb is possible to believe it's connected to the generater wouldn't take long to implement if each server owner did a town each. Also wouldn't matter if they were on all day long as they are not bright enough to show in daylight.

This idea hinges on an idea that I have no idea if possible to be done but I see loads of random stuff being modded if they can make a train run surely a light source can be tricked

There was something similar to this in an old DayZ mod, (I forget which one exactly) but you could repair the generator/switching site and the local street lamps would fire up. This would be an excellent addition to SA.
It was Breaking Point and the lights didn't fire up. Completing the power grids in Cherno & Elektro turned on a transmission at Green Mountain once you arrived. I did it myself, did the thing at Cherno and Elektro power grids, went to Balota and didn't hear the transmission. I was bummed...

My lighting system is built into the Epoch mod.

The street lights were a pain as they were disabled in the map. There are also 'performance' issues related to the engine and limitations on the number of light points a player can see.

This is probably the latest / tested version: Axeman lighting github

What they are really talking about is the Chernarus Electrical Grid. Where there is an actual system running. It required CBA to work 100% and like axman says, with the lighting system actually "disabled" it takes a workaround. So in Dayz, the lights will not work you would have to incorporate some of axemans lighting features.

Features:
-2 power plants (Elektrozavodsk and Chernogorsk) with working smokestacks and power plant noises.
-7 electrical substations that emit a transformer humming noise when energized.
-Ability to interrupt power by destroying components or, if enabled by mission makers, by manually tripping circuit breakers via the action menu (if tripped, breakers can again be closed to restore power). Manually switching circuit breakers could cause arc flash explosions if enabled by the mission maker.
-Mission makers can enable players to remotely logon to grid control software and substation video feeds via custom dialog.
-Grid redundancy - if certain components go offline, power automatically switches to secondary circuits when available.
-Built-in task/objective support via global/public variables (with examples).
-Fully SP, MP, JIP, and persistent mission compatible. Each mode is optimized for minimal performance impact. JIP is self-contained and does not require onPlayerConnected code.
-Extensive documenation for mission makers and players. Easy implementation into any mission.
-Fully featured demo missions (for addon and script version).
-Available in script only (no addons required) and addon versions. Addon version automatically adds CEG to any mission in Chernarus.

Back