[Resolved] The hidden secrets of Vilayer.com

You mean the developer atm: infistar.

He specifies in his license terms:

And he gets away with selling this by saying you are paying for his time not the script. That is because it is against Bohemia's EULA to sell scripts, mods or addons for profit. However, the EULA does state that script, mod and addon creators are granted ownership of their work. That means he is allowed to prevent people from editing it or posting it if he wants to.

His antihack is really just hangender's and monky's original work that he edited, so it is kind of silly he doesn't allow editing by admins. Admins need to edit it to make fixes specific to the mods their servers are running. They also probably want to customize many aspects of it such as admin menus, admin scripts, logo names, addaction and display whitelists, which files to scan for, etc.

The point you made about less people having the source code is not really valid. There is nothing stopping cheaters and hack developers from buying it and then sharing it with all their friends privately. If it is posted on a public forum it will obviously be taken down, but that still doesn't stop all the private sharing that will inevitably occur.

And it is worse to not allow admins to edit the script. Admins can change the variable names for all the most commonly exploited publicvariables. They can limit the display, addaction and commandingmenu whitelists to only ones that their server uses. They can change the names of common ones used in mods like selfbloodbag, deploy bike, freds wardrobe, etc. for better security. If you leave them on defaults smart cheaters know the exact variable names to use to give themselves super admin, disable the antihack, kick/ban, use menus, etc. And this has been done many times in the past by hack developers. Hiding the source code is not a real solution.

I'm completely with you, I think it's idiotic to think that hiding the source code from some people protects against hacks being developed, but I was just repeating what I've heard from blur/infistar/hangender/monky - they seem to think it serves some purpose. I think unless the source code is hidden from EVERYONE and completely locked down that obscuring it from some people is not effective.

It also says "with your purchase you accept and agree that you do NOT share, leak, show, sell or post this." - which I believe they think people using a GSP that they don't personally get to approve are more likely to do than someone informed enough to find and purchase the antihack directly. I think that is their logic, but you'd have to ask them.

Alright I've heard enough of this crap, the antihack was initially devolved by hangender, then when hangender stopped updating infiSTAR came in. infiSTAR started from scratch, he didn't copy anything. Now in regards to EULA, Bohemia can't licence or put a 'terms of service' on a script you make, they can't do this because then they could claim any text file that looks to be in their format as their own.

infiSTAR is having direct communication with the people from Bohemia and knows that they don't like him profiting from their engine, although there is nothing they can do about it because it's not a violation of EULA, if you were selling a script from arma like one inside a pbo then they would get rather shitty and do something about but if Bohemia could do something about infiSTAR don't you think they would have?

Now touching base on the point about not having access, this is to prevent the code from being leaked. infiSTAR is trying to change the anti hack to a different format so it cannot be leaked, hopefully so there are less updates and less hackers. Of course currently with the anti hack being hidden you can still join a server with it and do a diag-log for it but anyways that's even if the person can run the script before getting banned.

Ok, although I understand you went through all this effort to pull up the licensing but, this is referring to a mod, or an addon meaning pbo or ifa. What infi is doing is selling a text file which is compatible with the arma engine. You could rename the AH.sqf to AH.txt and it will still be the same. Basically what I am trying to say it, what infi is selling is a text file (full of text) which is compatible with Real Virtuality. BIS *CANNOT* say 'You need a licence to sell this' because it is not a BIS license file (PBO, IFA).

While i understand the point you are trying to make here Retra... that is a logical fallacy of reduction. The same concept could be applied to any software in any language. You could reduce Windows to a very large set of text files if you wanted, I'm pretty sure M$ would still sue your ass. In this case since it uses a proprietary scripting language, that argument falls apart even faster than if it was in C# or something. This code is written solely to be used in Bohemia's environment and cannot function anywhere else. Trying to claim it isn't purpose-built is a bit silly.

The reason BI lets all this stuff slide is that none of it is a charge on the end user, so the number of affected people is very small, a couple thousand. No one is forced to buy a server. You can bet your ass that if it was a product aimed at all the players directly they would have a lot more to say.

I personally feel that while you should certainly be able to own and sell your unique works, the introduction of paid and closed-source mods/addons has ruined a good chunk of what used to be a very vibrant and friendly community. Many of the guys who got this ball rolling originally have quit in disgust, or moved on to other games that still feel like an 'open-source' community.

FWIW I doubt Bohemia will ever bother enforcing anything on their EULA. They are based in Prague and they have never sued anyone or threatened legal action on anyone for anything in the past, despite plenty of people violating their copyrights and EULA (using images from their sites without permission, selling mods, etc.)

The most anyone will probably get from violating them is some community outrage.

Just came here to get back to the original question at hand.... when i google "wheres my IP".. or whatever its called (on cell at work being sneaky so cant check) it brings up google maps and shows it in Montreal. When i originally signed up with Vilayer i selected a Philadelphia server which they dont even offer any more. They changed it to new york later. Im not a techy and i dont understand how servers actually work but i dont see how my server can be in Philadelphia and Montreal at the same time. My ip is in my sig feel free to check it.

Back